When your Social Security check usually arrives on the 3rd - holiday schedule?

ctmom05

A family member has been collecting Social Security Disability since late summer. His normally gets auto-deposited on the 3rd of each month. Since the 3rd is a Saturday, it would then show up on Friday. Friday is a holiday, Good Friday; does that mean his check will be in his account on Thursday?

ctmom05

He direct deposits too, Witz. I guess my bottom line question is, is the holiday on Friday one that SSA recognizes and does that end up changing the date again?

DammitJanet

Yep. I was wondering if friday was a holiday myself...lol. I know Easter Monday is a federal holiday considering where I will be but I wasnt sure which day the banks use. If the banks are closed on a holiday then the money goes in on the day before.

Since the third is on Saturday and if Friday is a holiday, then yep, money and checks will be delivered on the first.

witzend

According to the Fed, there's no Federal Holiday on Friday. (Are you guys talking about Good Friday?) So there should be no interruption in deposits. My deposits are on Wednesday, so once in a while Christmas falls on the third Wednesday, but that doesn't affect the deposit. It's all done by computer and they are set up in advance.

http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2010.asp

Easter Monday may be a holiday where you are at, but it's not a Federal Holiday and banks and post offices are open as usual.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My VA pension is deposited the day before a Federal Holiday. I get SSDI, but that issue hasn't arisen with that deposit, yet. My guess is that SSDI direct deposit works the same way as the VA deposit does.

VA comes on the first of the month if not a fed holiday. SSDI comes 4th Wednesday of the month.

witzend

GN, now that you mention it, the one time Christmas fell on the 3rd Wednesday it was deposited on the Tuesday. Probably more for my benefit (so I could get it out) than for theirs.

DammitJanet

Well...this is my understanding.

When I first started getting disability they told me I would get it based on my SSN and that would put me getting my check in the middle of the month however, that only lasted about 6 months and then it switched to getting it on the 3rd of the month every month.

For as long as I have ever known the whole SSA and SSI program to be around, it has always gone out on either the 1st or 3rd of the month depending on which program you were receiving. It was only in the last few years that they attempted to switch to a variable mail date based on SSN and I think that may have proved complicated.

Now I checked with my credit union and while Easter Monday or Good Friday are not Federal Holidays, the credit union will be closed to observe Good Friday and will reopen on Monday. This means that because the deposit was set to be in the account on the second it will be available on the 1st. This is no biggie for the system. They know this is happening.

brightmoor

If the 3rd falls on Monday then will it be deposited midnight Sunday or Monday????

In my experience when the 3rd falls on a Monday I will have the money in my account Saturday when I wake up. The SSA sends it early because otherwise it wouldn't be able to be sent until Monday night, meaning it wouldn't be available until Tuesday morning. However, I believe it's up to your bank as to whether they make it available to you on Saturday or Monday.

I get a check from Social Security every month on the 3rd the 3rd it is this Friday 2017 when Social Security is going to deposit my check if anybody knows can you please help me

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Your check will be deposited to your account on Friday the 3rd by whatever time your bank posts deposits at the latest.

If you have further questions about this matter, they can be answered by visiting the social security website.

My answer applies if you are a resident of the USA. If you are resident of Puerto Rica or another protectorate, definitely visit the webpage for answers.

Copabanana

Going, I have missed you, and I am glad you are here. (Maybe we have been different threads, but I thought I looked for your recent posts a month or so ago, and did not find you.)

How are you and your furry family (and Mom)?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Copa, I have been around reading at least daily, just haven't been posting for the most part. I'm hanging in there.

Extremely concerned about the direction our country is headed in and have put on my activist's hat again, so have been devoting a lot of time to that.

Cats are holding up. Thomas is getting old. (he is 13). A few months ago, he was diagnosed with a slight heart murmur/enlarged heart, and inflammatory lung disease. So far he is not on medications for the lung disease as those could compromise his heart, but I'm sure, if things do get worse, we'll start on that high-wire act. As of now, he coughs some, and sometimes gets wheezy or short of breath. He is a happy cat still and by no means on his last legs.

Squeaky is, well, Squeaky. She is 9-10 yrs old and very healthy other than a bladder infection we had some trouble getting rid of. Luckily, it didn't damage her kidneys, though was hard on her kidneys. She is slowing down a bit, has finally gained enough weight to be at a normal weight, and has given up on sleeping in light fixtures.

My mother and I maintain our usual difficult relationship. I blow off a lot of things due to her age (82) and she blows off a lot of things due to my being her daughter. I could wish she'd sit on her lips more often, but that is due to her having favored my younger sister from the get go combined with a lot of other factors that won't get resolved "this time around" (and I don't believe in reincarnation.) that date back to our respective youths.

We muddle along, both of us trying to keep up appearances. I occasionally try to bring up an issue; she makes the expected excuses, and I, as is expected of me, accept them. It's something that I've accepted will never be resolved. It saddens me, and I wish it could be different.

I am estranged from my sister over an old chain of events with my dad that apparently devastated her, but had no effect on me because I neither witnessed them, nor experienced them.

As a result, I do not view my dad at all in the same way my sister does, and she cannot accept that, though I accept that the events she describes happened to her, and they turned my views and feelings upside down.

So with all that, I'm lonely. I always knew this would happen as my in real life friends were all much older than I am and as one would expect, they have now passed on. Nearly all of my family is dead and gone, and I don't have much in the way of closeness with the little of my family is lest, other than one uncle and aunt, and their son.

I am also experiencing physical deterioration in terms of ability to get around and do things, as well as pain, and that is upsetting (arthritis), so there's the fear of winding up in a "home", eventually, etc.

Goodness...you wanted a quick update and I wrote a novel...a depressing one. Sorry.

Copabanana

Going, I share some of the same sorrows as do you. You do not describe them as such, but for me, I feel them so. Since my mother's death I have not been able to rouse myself to once again be the person I was. I am estranged from my sister who wants nothing to do with me. The heaviness and anxiety of my son is ever-present. I share your fear for our country and I too am doing what I can.

Sometimes I worry about "a home" too. Miguel and I are together, yes. But will we always be, or will he go first? Who knows. I tell myself that none of us know how or when we will go. It could be next week or month, or next year, or tomorrow, while we still have our faculties and independence.

I think for me the key is to having stuff to look forward to. Like you, with your trip north. We have been planning for 3 years a trip east. I buy tickets and feel unable to travel and cancel them. This time, the tickets are for the 3rd week of April, delayed once again from March 20th. Wish me luck.

I think what we are experiencing, the losses, loss of functioning, and fear of what will come is "normal" for our life stage (how I wish there was another way to say this).

Anyway, I am glad you are posting. Glad you are back. Glad we are both fighting back. Even though we cannot acknowledge it here.