Who is the boss in your house?

BusynMember

You or your spouse or your kid or your dog or cat????

Between me and hub, I think it's even. Neither of us really try to be in control. But our itty bitty Bichon/Yorkie definitely thinks she is in charge.

When you were a kid who was in charge of the family? For me it was my mom. Even my dad was afraid of her. She was Queen.

AppleCori

My daughter’s dog certainly thinks she is in charge of my daughter’s house! She’s a Yorkie/Pom mix (we think) and seven pounds of terror! What is it about those Yorkies?

(I will do my house, too, shortly)

Edited to add (I almost always edit my posts): I am working on mine, but trying my best to make it G-rated.....

Or at least R.....

Last edited:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Our cat is the boss!
My husband has never been fond of cats. I on the other hand love all critters!
About 7 years ago our neighbor decided to move out of state and was worried about the little feral cat she had been taking care of. I told her I would start putting out food so the little cat "Sissy" would know there was another place to eat. We live in N. IL and the winters can be quite brutal. My husband built a cat house for this kitty so she would be protected from the harsh winters. It had a heater in the bottom and I lined it with sheep skin. Sissy loved it! We were approaching the third winter of caring for this little girl when my not fond of cats husband says "what are we going to do with Sissy this winter?" I told him we would continue as we have to which he replied, "No, we can't leave her out all winter" and so it began, the domestication of this wild kitty.
I started letting her in the house to eat. I put a blanket on the couch for her to lay on. Box training her was another story. I bought the box, put the litter in it and dropped her in. I've had cats before and have never had one jump straight out of the box! Hello GOOGLE, how do you box train a feral cat? You start with dirt then slowly add in the litter.
Little Miss Sissy has been domesticated for a good 5 years now. She is the sweetest and has never clawed at the furniture. She will only lay on the blanket that I have on the couch. She still loves to be outside and in the summer it's not always easy to get her to come back in the house. If she's been gone too long my husband starts to worry and when she does come home he tells her "you're grounded"

As for other stuff around the house, hubby takes care of the outside of the house and I take care of the inside. I also am in charge of paying the bills but husband always knows what's going on.

BusynMember

What I really meant was who is the boss, the one everyone answers to. My dog wins!! But between me and hub it is pretty even. In all honesty esty my kids, Sonic and Jumper listened to him more than me. They still do. Even the dogs listen to him more. The low voice? Maybe that means hub is the boss.

In my childhood my mother had the last say.

Tanya, great story about the kitty! I loved it!

Lil

I don't think Jabber and I have one of us be the "boss". I mean, generally he gave in to me on the kid, not always for the best. But we tend to talk about stuff and make a decision...or not get a decision made, which happens some too. Sadly we're both procrastinators and fairly lazy, so lots of stuff just doesn't get done (hello kitchen!) and it just sits. I'm a planner and list maker. Eventually I blow my top about stuff. Jabber just kind of ... doesn't. We share the chores. We share the money. We do have an agreement about how much we can spend without consulting the other.

Right now, our kitty Boo is trying her best to run the household. She's gotten to where she won't poo in the litterbox...though she'll do the other fine. She also quit eating the food she's always had. The vet said her kidneys are at about 75% so she needs special (expensive!) food - which she refuses to eat. So you give her food and she eats two bites (or none) and then begs and begs and begs until you give in and give her something else! We've found ONE food she'll eat...not the prescription sort. It's maddening.

AppleCori

My dogs, fortunately, are not Yorkies and know their place....

I tell my hubby that he is the boss, and sometimes he even believes it!

Every once in a while, he will make some pronouncement, and say something like, “and that’s the way it’s gonna be, because I said so”.

Then he will look over at me with those pleading eyes and he will say, “if it’s alright with you, baby.....”

And I will look at him and say, “whatever you say, honey. You’re the boss.....”

And then we will laugh....or something else....

Lil

My cat has bad kidneys too...but she is willing to eat the expensive-as-all-hello prescription food.

I really do not know what to do about the cat. I tried mixing the food she will eat with the food she won't eat. 90% of it was still in the bowl this morning. Literally, she ate less than 1/4 of a can of food yesterday. We're about to be gone for a 9 days and I don't know what to do other than have my friend just leave her dry and give her 1/2 a can of the one she will eat while we're gone.

KTMom91

I am. Since I'm home more than Hubby is, I'm in charge of home-related things. He does garbage and poop boxes, and really anything else I ask.

However, my Wednesday panther thinks he is in charge of me.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I think we are both 50/50 here. We discuss everything before we do it.

We always decide everything together and that works for us.

My Morkie thinks he's the boss though.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I really do not know what to do about the cat. I tried mixing the food she will eat with the food she won't eat. 90% of it was still in the bowl this morning. Literally, she ate less than 1/4 of a can of food yesterday. We're about to be gone for a 9 days and I don't know what to do other than have my friend just leave her dry and give her 1/2 a can of the one she will eat while we're gone.

Vacation?

Pink Elephant

Both dear husband and I sort of share boss duties, but when the kids were little I ruled the roost, however, when dear husband put his foot down it was he who really wielded the true boss clout. :)

Tired out

It all depends on what is going on. If we can't agree on something we table it until something happens to change one of our minds. If all else fails the cat rules.

Nomad

Staff member
Our dachshund definitely thinks she is the boss.
Pretty much 50/50 here.
Although some things slightly more him and some things slightly more myself. It tends to be 50/50 or even out.

Triedntrue

I really don't know who is boss i am in charge of some things and he is in charge of others. The dog is pretty obedient.