Why Do They Do It?

NoMoreTrust

I am still working through the system, and might still be too trusting - too much faith in humanity and respect for "professionals".

If someone told me the things I have found out, I would lable him a liar. It is just so unbelievable.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on why it occurs with a group of professionals. I just want to know what seems to be the best explanation, if any:

(1) Teachers, etc. in education have not worked outside their profession in the "real world". Their reality of being a professional is what they learned in the "system". Their moral compass was formed within this system. I.e. - They don't know any better, and believe this is how the world works. (Most teachers I know went straight to college, then teaching).
(2) They have "stuck their neck out" before and found out that no good deed goes unpunished. There is no gain to go against the administration, as those that "tow the SD line" get the rewards.
(3) Individual teachers feel that they cannot make a difference in the larger group (IEP or ARDs) and back down.
(4) Egos/Power Trips get in the way. They do not receive respect, and only can control this one thing where they can be GOD. Could even be taking out grudges for colleagues via the child.
(5) Some teachers do not believe there is a disability or that there should be special services. They don't get it.
(6) They just want a paycheck and do not care (I hope this is an extreme minority).

SaraT

I would say it depends on the exact situation. My personal experience is that teachers DO care, but are NOT trained in special education.(Your main stream teachers often are not trained in dealing with special needs children.) As for administration, you have some good and some bad, and they also are not always aware of all the special education laws, nor are trained properly. This will vary depending on school district.

Depending on whom you are having the problem with, I would either try talking to the individual teacher(sometimes if you tell them what works for you at home, they will be more receptive, ie, when difficult child does this, we do this.) Or, if it is the teacher, try an administration person who is trained in special education law, ie the director of special education for your SD.

I found that you get a lot further by educating and supporting the teachers, then by being confrontational.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

LittleDudesMom

NoMore,

I think the generalizations you are making can be made about "professionals" in any industry, not just teaching.

I don't see that you have done a profile signature yet, so I'm not sure how old your child or children are and how many teachers you have experience with. My overall experience, and you can see from my sig that I have a 17 and a 12 year old, is that the majority of teachers do care.

Certainly there are times when they are frustrated or their hands are tied. I think Sara's advice is correct in that educating and working with your child's teacher is the best approach. I can't tell you how many times I have take in an article to share or sat down and spoken with a teacher one to one in regards to a new approach, or what works best with my child, etc.

If you do not get satisfaction from the teacher, go further. The administrators or the Special Education directors of the school system can be a good resource.

Teachers are people too. They are faced with twenty-some different students with different needs, different style parents, different styles of learning, different behavior patterns, different food allergies, different personalities, etc., all in the same small enviornment every day. It's a labor of love for most of them. We should be there to back up and support.

That's my two cents.

I do know it is so much more challenging when you are the parent of a child with special needs. It can be frustrating and you can feel that you are beating your head against the wall. But it's not just our challenging children's education that we have to work harder on - it's every aspect of their life. Their education is a very important piece, but one we can work on as a partner to insure their success.

Sharon