WISC-IV and Connors test results IEP mtg.

pokerchipper

Hello. My twelve-year-old just had a comprehensive evaluation. Her WISC-IV results are:

Comprehension 18
Similarities 17
Vocabulary 14
Picture Concepts 15
Block Design 10
Matrix Reasoning 10
Digit Span 14
Letter-number sequencing 15
Coding 11
Symbol Search 9

Verbal Comprehension 138
Perceptual Reasoning 110
Working Memory 126
Processing Speed 100
Full Scale 125

On the Connors, my ratings and one of her teachers' ratings combined met criteria for very mild or sub-clinical ADHD, and both of us also rated her as having impaired executive functioning. This is mainly because she has great difficulty with organization and forgets and loses her materials. She also has bad, almost illegible handwriting.

I know that this is a lot of subtest scatter, and consequent large discrepancies between different kinds of cognitive abilities. She is an all A student (plus usually one B), but gets Fs and D on some assignments because she does not turn them in even though she did them, because of being disorganized. On state standardized tests, she scores as proficient. She is a delightful, charming child, who loves to plays musical instruments and be outdoors.

Is the low processing speed characteristic of kids with ADHD? I plan to discuss with a child psychiatrist whether to try ADHD medications. I am writing to ask for advice about what accommodations and assistance to request at school. The initial eligibility meeting is on 3/25/09. I'm sure the school will say she is not eligible.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Is the low processing speed characteristic of kids with ADHD?

YES!!!

My difficult child 2 had a similar finding in his evaluation last year (although is problems are actually a mood disorder that looks a lot like ADHD).

I found this link with strategies for helping processing issues:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080513233638/http://www.volusia.k12.fl.us/psychiatric/Process.htm

artana

Hi,
Your WISC-IV results tell me that your child's IQ score is the minimum it could be. In other words, if you knew what was happening and could account for that, then you would probably go above the 130 mark.

I have a child that sounds somewhat similar. One of the things that I focused on in the IEP was to address strengths as well as weaknesses. Both can lead to behavior problems. We have my son going to the Special Education teacher once a week to work on his writing. She presents him with projects he really enjoys (Like creating logic puzzles or creating information pamphlets for the school pets) and in the process helps him with the writing.

I also made sure that there was pre-testing in the IEP. Intelligent children exhibit worse behavior problems when they are underchallenged. We came up with him taking pre-tests for sections with the Special Education teacher, and with some alternatives of what he can do when he already knows the materials.

For organizational purposes, I've created a end-of-day list that his teacher posted on his desk and in his locker, with a picture of his Guinea Pig on it. The Guinea Pig catches his eye, and then he reads the steps he's supposed to follow.

I don't know if any of this helps. I wish you luck.:)

Superpsy

Wow, nice WISC-4 scores! =) Remember, eligibility determination also hinges on whether or not there is an "educational impact." From what you're saying it sounds like there is minimal impact on her education when she's compared to other students her age. Also, it's important to keep in mind that although the processing speed score is low relative to her profile it is solidly average.

Why was she referred for an evaluation (is it because of the disorganization and missing assignments?) It sounds like she is doing well in school and is generally pretty happy. I would be wary of starting a medication regimen. (Just my $0.02).

JJJ

I would think that services for organization and handwriting would be offered. I would also consult a psychiatrist about medication. My daughter's quality of life improved significantly once she started on stims. I didn't even realize how much it bothered her that she was so "flaky" until she was able to stay organized.