Words to Ponder

"It is those who concentrate on but one thing at a time who advance in this world. The great man or woman is the one who never steps outside his or her specialty or foolishly dissipates his or her individuality."
~Og Mandino

ScentofCedar

That is an interesting thing to think about, typical teen.

I was just reading something about concentration. The writer theorizes that we seldom concentrate at all, anymore. There are so many distractions, so many things that require attention in the instant, that we have become used, not so much to multi-tasking with full concentration on each aspect of our lives, but to living our lives in fleeting, never fully conscious snippets.

The writer I was reading suggested that we begin a practice of trying to remain fully present in the moment we are in. To focus our powers of concentration, in other words and then, to focus fully on the next issue, learning to disregard extraneous input.

It is almost impossible to be mindful, to be truly present in the moment we are in, in todays world, I think.

The writer suggested meditation as a practice which would make us aware of the scattered nature of our thought processes.

It is amazing, the way the mind leaps from one meaningless piece of input to the next.

Barbara

ScentofCedar

:laugh:

Yep!

I knew someone once who had the ability to concentrate fully, absolutely fully, on whatever it was that was in front of him. I swear, you could feel it when he focused on a thing. Then ~ boom ~ full attention somewhere else.

Barbara

Found more quotes on concentration:
"Concentrating on the essentials. We will then be accomplishing the greatest possible results with the effort expended." ~ Ted W. Engstrom ~

"Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms." ~ Samuel Johnson ~

"It seems essential, in relationships and all tasks, that we concentrate only on what is most significant and important" ~ Soren Kierkegaard

"Nothing can add more power to your life than concentrating all your energies on a limited set of targets." ~ Nido Qubein ~

"Give whatever you are doing and whoever you are with the gift of your attention." ~ Jim Rohn ~