Worst movies ever or movies you didn't like that everyone else did

KTMom91

Hubby dragged me to The Hobbit...I have never been so bored in my entire life.

I loved Rosemary's Baby, but hated the two-night miniseries that was on last year. Couldn't even get through it.

Jabberwockey

I wont call them scary movies because they havent come out with one that could scare me since I was a kid. Yeah, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter was SUCH a disappointment! 2001, A Space Odyssey put me to sleep. Majorly boring. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull....yeah, South Park has it right that Lucas and Spielberg raped poor Indy with that one! District 9 I actually liked at first but the further we got into the movie the less I liked it. A friend at work told me that I needed to see the directors cut for the movie to make sense. Yeah, not gonna happen. If the movie doesnt make sense then the directors cut is irrelevant! And The Blair Witch Project...Lil's friend said it best when she walked out of the theater and said "Well, thats two hours of my life I'll never get back!"

Must see movies....Fan Boys had me in tears the first time I saw it I was laughing so hard. Monty Python and the Holy Grail! Well, since Im one of the few that DO like Sci Fi and Fantasy I'll just stop there! LOL!

Nomad

Staff member
Well, I wouldn't use such strong language as "worst movie," but I had some issues with the movie "Blind Side." I need to double check the title. But the movie everyone LOVED with the woman who adopted a child who grows up to be a fabulous football star. A true story, which is very nice and I did enjoy it to a certain extent...some good acting and the fact that it was true was nice. However, it made it seem as if adopting a child is a relatively easy thing, all peaches and cream, sparkles and sunshine with not just a cherry on top...but giant rewards coming out the wazoo. Just felt weird. Our adopted daughter is almost thirty...we've had near thirty years of something OTHER than peaches and cream.

Last edited:

Lil

But the movie everyone LOVED with the woman who adopted a child who grows up to be a fabulous football star. A true story, which is very nice and I did enjoy it to a certain extent...some good acting and the fact that it was true was nice. However, it made it seem as if adopting a child is a relatively easy thing, all peaches and cream, sparkles and sunshine with not just a cherry on top...but giant rewards coming out the wazoo.

I hadn't really thought about that...but yes, I suppose I could see where that would be kind of a downer. It's a nice story, and a true story, but it's one in a million. I would imagine most folks adopting an inner-city youth at about age 17 or so would not find it to be quite so idyllic. Heck, we're small-city people who took in a 16 year old friend of my son's for one semester and it was awful.

I guess if that was everyone's experience, it wouldn't make a very good movie.

That being said, I loved The Blind Side. Not one I would see over and over, but it is good.

dstc_99

I also saw a movie probably nobody remembers called "The Other" about a twin who took on his twin's identity after he died and he was the "good" twin, but as the movie went on you realized this good twin was killing everyone.

MWM you should watch "Taking Lives" with Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke. It is a story of a twin whose brother dies and then he begins "taking" other peoples lives by becoming them. I haven't seen it in years but I remember it freaked me out big time. Of course I am a total chicken and don't watch horror movies.

Origami

A few movies that I didn't like that everyone else did are Princess Bride, A Knight's Tale, American Beauty, American Hustle, and anything containing Hobbits. I thought all these movies were super boring except for American Beauty, where I couldn't get past the creepiness of the whole premise (bad creepy, not good creepy).

Lil

Well, it would make more sense if you said, "Now stop that. I mean it!" first. :D

Obviously, Jabber and I are huge Princess Bride fans.

It's time for me to go to my office "team building". Yeesh. So boring.

I'd rather face the terrors of the fire swamp. :roflmao:

BusynMember

MWM you should watch "Taking Lives" with Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke. It is a story of a twin whose brother dies and then he begins "taking" other peoples lives by becoming them. I haven't seen it in years but I remember it freaked me out big time. Of course I am a total chicken and don't watch horror movies.
Wow, thanks, dstc_99. Sounds like my kind of movie, honestly.

Californiablonde

OK so my coworkers and I were just talking about movies and my supervisor floored me by saying she hates Jim Carey. Who could possibly hate him? My kids say I don't laugh at anything except Jim Carey movies. I think the guy is hilarious.

donna723

MWM, you're not the only one who remembers The Other! Nothing is scarier than sinister children! I've always wanted to get another copy of the book, although the book and the movie have slightly different endings. You're halfway through it before you realize that the "evil" twin is dead! If I remember right, the book left it open ended ... you really don't know if it's all in the remaining boys imagination, if he's possessed by the evil twin, or if the spirit of the evil brother is really there. But in the movie, as the family is driving away to the latest funeral, you can see the second little boy standing in the doorway watching them leave through the screen door! That scene still gives me chills when I think about it! The bloody, gory "slasher" type movies just gross me out, not scare me. The ones that get to me are the more psychological thrillers like the old Hitchcock movies. I still remember seeing Psycho for the first time in a movie theater! I literally couldn't breathe! A newer one that really got to me was What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford. It was purposely made in the style of an old Hitchcock movie. When you're alone in the house and you're looking in to a bathtub full of water and you see the reflection of someone else standing right next to you .... !

svengandhi

I completely forgot about "The Other." I remember seeing it on TV and it scared the daylights out of me. At the time, I was a real horror movie fan - I saw the original Halloween at a drive in the night it opened, I saw Friday the 13th, I saw The Exorcist when it first came out with a group of girlfriends and we all laughed our heads off. Years later, my H told me that my friends and I just didn't "get" that movie because we're Jewish and the religious symbolism escaped us. Perhaps? As for the Amityville Horror, I don't live that far from there and remember the original crime. I don't believe in the haunting stories at all, but that's just me. I can't watch the new horror movies, too much gore.

The absolute worst movie I have ever seen was "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues." H is a huge fan of Tom Robbins and he made me read the book before seeing the movie. He took me to see it for MY birthday! The book was awful and the movie was even worse. I was pregnant with difficult child at the time and told H that I had to go to the bathroom and I stayed outside the theater for about 3/4 of the movie.

I like Titanic. I'm not a sci fi fan and, frankly, when I was in HS, it was cool to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I tried to but they bored me, so I skimmed them just enough to be able to talk about them in the cafeteria.

The movie series I hate the most is Scary Movies. They aren't funny, they're rude, nasty and low class.

BusynMember

donna, I always thought that in the book (The Other), that Niles totally lost it and had bcome Holland at least in his mind. I thought he ended up in a mental institution thinking he was Holland, but really being Niles.

I remember figuring out the other twin was dead when it showed Niles flashing back to opening Holland's coffin and cutting off his dead twin's finger so that he could have his father's ring. And he kept the finger too!!!! It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO scary.

OMG, svengali. I forgot about the first Halloween. Or Friday the 13th. Which ever one had the babysitter in it who the little boy Michael killed, THAT movie terrified me. All the sequels did nothing for me.

I "got" the Exorcist because although I was also brought up Jewish, I had Catholic friends and had married a Methodist. It just didn't scare me. Now that I'm not involved in any organized religion I have long believed in the paranormal, but I don't even think it would scare me now because I don't believe people can be possessed and, moreover, I don't believe in a devil. I can see very easily how it could terrify somebody who did! You'd think ghost movies would scare me because I believe in certain people not being able to move on to the next world (ghosts?) but they tend to seem more like cartoon characters in movies so they don't scare me...or else they are funny.

Our own beliefs fuel what scare us! I love a horror movie if it can really happen right here on earth. Although it didn't terrify me, I really did enjoy being scared watchging "Fatal Attraction" although I thought "Play Misty for Me" (similar) was horrifying and Fatal just scary.

muttmeister

I think I've become an old curmudgeon because the movies that I really dislike are the gross-out comedies. If you have to belch, fart, or puke to try to get me to laugh, you've lost me.