Would anyone have a good quotation on boundaries?

in a daze

I recieved one of those chain emails from sister in law. You are to send an inspiriational quotation to the next person on the list.

So does anyone have a relavant quotation on boundaries?

She is trying to set boundaries with her elderly parents and of course I am working on maintaining boundaries with my son.

Thanks!

helpangel

The only one I can come up with is "Lack of planning on your part does not justify an emergency on my part" and I have no idea who said it... I have it on the wall next to the calendar and point to it often.

Nancy

BusynMember

"No. I can't do that."

"No. I won't do that."

"No. I don't want to do that. Sorry."

Just learning to say no. And sticking to it.

in a daze

Thanks, everyone.

I saw my son yesterday. Warned him in a text message not to ask us for any money. He had also been warned in a previous text message. We all got together for dinner. He didn't ask.

He can be very manipulative asking for 20.00 for the house Superbowl party, asking us for money in front of his uncle, last two times we got together. So maybe he's gotten the message.

Childofmine

one day at a time
This question was a good one, Daze, as it caused me to go back to Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend and reread some of the key teachings there.

This is one that was a big wake-up call for me.

“…he is irresponsible and happy, and you are responsible and miserable. A little boundary clarification would do the trick.”–p30

I started seeing that I was the upset one, and he was rollicking along doing what he wanted to do. Once that is switched around, that I am doing okay and can say, Well I hope that works out for you, honey, and he hangs up or stomps off in a huff or worse, that is when better boundaries are starting to form.

tishthedish

I read a quote the other day and it rang so true. Maybe not for elderly parents, but surely for those difficult child children we struggle with: Let go or be dragged.

in a daze

Let go or be dragged.
Love it!

I'm in the middle of reading Boundaries right now, COM. I like its counsel, although the points could be made with fewer Bible verses, for my taste.

Sending the Brene Brown one to email chain link to sister in law.

She's gonna need it. Her 93 year old father fired the caregivers last week. She was the one that drove them round, groceries, entertainment, MD visits, etc. etc. 24 hour care was recommended by the nursing facility. They settled on 8 hours. Now they have none. These elderly people can be so stubborn! I hope she holds firm.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Daze, yes, about Boundaries---I have heard that thought before from others. The wisdom is sound, so keep reading...ala...take what you like and leave the rest.

I have three friends plus our family who is dealing with the same issues of parents getting old and exactly what you are talking about. I'll probably be the same stubborn way myself. My letting go in other areas of my life is really helping me let go of my parents and realize I can't control what they do or don't do....even if.

This stuff is hard. Hard to sit by and watch, but necessary.

I love it: Let go or be dragged.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I am reading Boundaries too. So many of you have spoken about it so I ordered it mostly for the stuff with my granddaughter now........it's helped too. Thanks to all who recommended it.

Someone here on the forum has Let go or be dragged as the quote on the bottom of their signature..........great quote. Thanks.