Wrong diagnosis? Re-evaluation

hamsterwheel

How do I go about having difficult child's diagnosis re-evaluated? She has been on the same medications for years with increases every time something goes amuck. As far as I can see, all it's doing it making her gain weight.

The diagnosis is bipolar, but I truly convinced there's some ODD. Looking at the descriptions of the diagnosis's I feel she displays the BiPolar (BP) symptoms after an ODD episode.

I asked about having difficult child re-evaluated, but my requests are falling on deaf ears. Who do I need to speak to?

difficult child is in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for the last 6 months and has had about 5 medication increases, sometimes both medications at once.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
ODD is usually not a standalone diagnosis, but a symptom of something else bigger. Sometimes it's bipolar or another mood disorder.

If you are not convinced that she's receiving the right diagnosis and/or treatment, I would think about talking to your insurance company about getting a second opinion. There are others here with concrete experience dealing with Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s (which I have none), so hopefully they will chime in soon.

susiestar

Roll With It
When my son was in a long term psychiatric hospital for 4 months I kept attending the early morning staffings because it was the only time a parent had a chance of talking to the psychiatrist. When the staff and psychiatrist realized that I was going to attend and I was going to participate they started to do a lot more of what I asked. It took asking every week for about a month but they finally agreed to have a neuropsychologist evaluate my difficult child.

Do what you need to in order to speak to the psychiatrist in charge. Be persistent. If it has been 3-4 years since her last evaluation ask for her to be retested in all areas. Children change so much every year that often new things come to light. If she is not retested it is very possible to have her diagnosis not address what is really going on.