Yeah - It's Monday :(

JKF

difficult child called this morning while I was on my way to work. I took the call and it started off ok. He was telling me about something he did last night with a friend's cell phone. I casually asked if the other guy still had his cell phone. Just curious because as we ALL know, difficult child steals. A LOT. He was like yes. And then he got quiet. I was talking to him normally and he would reply with a yup, whatever, etc. I asked him what was wrong bc he seemed upset. He then proceeded to hang up on me. Uhhhh ok? So I guess he didn't like me asking him about the cell phone and reminding him not to steal bc he doesn't have many bridges left to burn. I sent him a private message on FB and said I was sorry he was upset and that if he'd like to call me later when he calms down he can. That's all I can do.

Anyway, he made contact with the MHA worker on Friday. He has to meet her again today. Hopefully they can help him get into a better shelter. They have one specifically for people with mental illness but there's a bit of a waiting list. easy child/difficult child and I saw him on Saturday. We picked him up and went out to the movies and lunch. I got him some socks and underwear. I tried to make it a fun day but it was still stressful and sad for me. I am doing ok though. Much better than I thought I would so I guess I really have grown in the last year or so. It's hard to detach but the more I practice the better I am at it.

I can tell he's definitely cycling with the bipolar. He seems more depressed today than manic but he cycles rapidly so that could change at any moment. I just hope this week brings some good news regarding shelter and help for him.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You're doing a good job, making all the right moves, he is who he is and you're keeping your boundaries intact. Hang in there........((HUGS)), sometimes it's one moment at a time.........

JKF

I'm definitely hanging in there RE! Taking it minute by minute. He called before to ask me for his insurance policy number bc he was with the MHA worker who was taking him to see a psychiatrist. I'm assuming they are going to do a psychiatric evaluation. Hopefully difficult child is honest with the psychiatrist. I always get nervous that he'll be able to manipulate them into thinking he's not mentally ill but I'm pretty sure it's obvious especially to a professional.

Last edited:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Wow, that happened quickly. Probably not from your point of view, but geez, he hasn't been home that long and already the MHA worker is taking him to a psychiatrist. That is good news. You really have done a good job in getting all the facts and finding the resources. I know how that is, after awhile you feel like you could write a book on how to navigate the system, sigh. Me too. Things are moving along...........

JKF

RE- I agree. It did happen very quickly. I'm actually quite shocked. He just called from the psychiatrist's office where he had a psychiatric evaluation. He was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and depression and is starting lithium and Wellbutrin tomorrow. Holy moly. Just like that. Now we just have to figure out housing for him. He's still in the temp shelter but I hope the MHA can help him get into something more permanent.

I'm relieved but still on edge. I hope the medications help him.

JKF

I'm not sure I agree with the bipolar 2 diagnosis bc previously he was bipolar 1 with mixed episodes. But the main thing is he saw a doctor and got some medications. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Actually I retract that^^. The more I read about Bipolar 2 the more it sounds exactly like difficult child. In any case - lithium is highly recommended for treatment of bipolar 2 and I hope he does well on it.

Last edited:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Geez, that seems like a huge step in the right direction! medications and a proper shelter could send him on his way into a healthier lifestyle............and you back to feeling some peace and having more fun! This is all very promising, I will continue keeping all body parts crossed (not so easy at my age, but I'm tryin'!!)

JKF

Hahahaaa RE! Omg! I am totally cracking up! Thank you for that and, as always, thanks from the bottom of my heart for your amazing support!