Yikes!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm super struggling right now with the healthy eating and even more the healthy living. Most of you know I am used to exercising a lot. Well, since I've been on these stupid crutches I obviously can't work out much. Still, I'm so frustrated with myself for not going swimming. I even bought a swim cap and goggles but haven't gone.

I figure this is my own kick in the pants! By posting this I'm hoping I will somehow make it to the health club tomorrow and many days ahead!

Malika

How about a pair of swimming crutches? :) Hope that's not a joke in bad taste...! Happy swimming.

Wiped Out,

I think I understand how you feel having fractured my foot last year around this same time. I know you know, exercise is my main form of stress release. It was really difficult for me too. Nothing else I tried, and everyone had so many good suggestions, helped me with stress the way exercise does. The more days that went by, the more frustrated I felt.

I was told too that I could swim but swimming isn't my favorite type of exercise. I love being in the water, floating, relaxing but not having to swim for exercise. (Wish I did because I know how great a work-out it is!) I'm impressed you bought a swim cap and goggles because I didn't even attempt to get that far.

You already know I'm an emotional eater and without lots of aerobics I found myself gravitating towards the kitchen way too much. What finally worked for me was knowing that if I continued endlessly munching, I would have to jog for years on end 24/7 to make up for all the pounds I would have packed on.

Once I realized I was going to keep sinking deeper and deeper, sort of like being in quicksand, I forced myself to eat healthy. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it was miserable at first, but I really did feel better once I forced myself to get back on track and stay there.

I'm not glad you're struggling but glad you started this thread because right now I'm struggling again too (even with exercise.) Last night I was totally out of control!!! I think I finally hit rock bottom. Today I'm determined that I'm going to get back on track right along with you.

I know how strong you are and I know that you're going to use that swim cap and goggles! Here's another (sort of) kick in the pants to go with LDM's:hammer:! I also know that you're going to start eating healthy again too!!! You've worked too hard and come too far to return to where you once were!!! There is No way I'm going to stand by quietly and watch you sink any further!!! Here is another (sort of) kick in the pants:hammer:!!!

Please continue posting here. I know it'll help you, I know it'll help me, and I'm sure it'll help others too.

Many hugs... SFR

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Swimming is low-impact and high-resistance. It's great for toning. I wish I could go swimming right now.

InsaneCdn

Or you could just "modify your usual routine"... now, that doesn't work so well if you're used to RUNNING, for example - but if you're into the "gym" stuff, you can still get a really good workout using only your upper body. Wheel-chair athletes do this! Borrow a wheelchair and go for a wheely good "run"!! (bad pun!) Do arms-only wall climbing. Pick up a wheel-chair version of a sport - you can keep playing when you get better - they need some ablebodied people on the team (but still using a wheel chair) to balance out the "points". Depending on whether your leg will take it... you could go canoeing or kayaking...

Or I could lend you my two hefty 4-wheel-drive dogs, and you can get a good workout just trying to hang onto the leash!

For the record - others who don't swim but enjoy the pool - you don't need to SWIM to get a good workout - even just walking through the water (chest high) at a decent pace, provides excellent resistance training and a good cardio demand... and there's always water aerobics...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thank you everyone for the ideas and encouragement (I really need those kicks:)). Today is the last day of school and I'm recommitting myself to working out again. I have plans to go swimming tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. (Again, I'm hoping by posting here I will follow through).

Starting Saturday I also get to start using my crutches every other day and next Saturday I'm crutches free. However, I still won't be cleared to go back to my exercise routine so I plan on sticking with swimming for a bit.

Here's an extra "kick":hammer:! Love your attitude, strength and determination! Glad you only need the crutches every other day and won't need them at all soon!
:swimming: Way To Go! SFR