You know you have a child with Asperger's when ...

TerryJ2

This is the heading on a FB page I signed up for. We post randomly. This is what I posted today:
[h=6]He stares at a blank poster board for half an hour, fretting and angry because he can't figure out how to squeeze in every single one of his 82 bazillion relatives, when his Spanish assignment is to create a family tree in order to do an oral report with the words, "Abuelo," "primo," Papa," and "hermana."
[/h]

His favorite topics are himself and monkeys. When he endlessly chatters on and on and on, etc... about these topics, doesn't mind when everyone around him is bored to death, continues to babble when it's obvious no one is listening to him, enjoys listening to himself talk for hours on end and doesn't care that no one else feels the same way. SFR

He has been drawing the same stick figure monkeys since he was a toddler, draws them on every piece of paper he touches, refuses to throw out even one of these "precious" drawings, and smiles every time he looks at one of them.

His favorite radio station is NPR, he records one of the half hour segments, listens to it over and over and over again, repeats every word of it, and then listens to it again.

His basic routine (get up at the same time, eat breakfast at the same time,wash up at the same time, etc., etc., etc.,) must remain the same whether at home, school, or on vacation. SFR

InsaneCdn

SFR... are you sure that's ASPIE? To me, that's beyond Aspie... more like some layer of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

Positive! At least this is what the so-called "experts" have agreed upon. We've been told there are different levels of functioning within the diagnosis. He's had many different diags over the years ranging from Autism, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), developmental delay with autistic features, etc., etc., etc. He has an average to above average IQ, gets straight A's in school, and is able to live on his own with supports in place. He is currently attending a junior college and doing really well - absolutely amazing! He's quite a unique individual, lol...

P.S. Almost forgot to mention - He missed the diag for straight autism by half a point on the testing done by the developmental pediatrician and neuropsychologist who followed him throughout childhood.

TerryJ2

SearchingForRainbows--Shakespeare? Monkeys? NPR? Send him over to my house! Sure beats rap about killing people. :(

Step, lol!

DDD

He chooses a very complex subject and decides he is an expert and has to start discussions on that one subject...then, if the person disagrees or questions him...he walks away. Sigh. DDD

SearchingForRainbows--Shakespeare? Monkeys? NPR? Send him over to my house! Sure beats rap about killing people. :(

Step, lol!

Now you're talking about difficult child 1 when he was at his "difficult child" best!! difficult child 1 seems more like your difficult child. However, when difficult child 2 had one of his marathon "melt-downs," he used to wrap his hands around his neck and threaten to kill himself if he didn't get what he wanted. He also used to open his bedroom window and threaten to jump. He did get violent too. In the fourth grade he called the principal a F*****G B*****D, tried to punch him and threw a chair at him. I can't believe to this day what the principal said to me, but it is really true - He said I had better be careful because when difficult child 2 got older, I could have a "Columbine" situation on my hands. At the same time, difficult child 2 is fascinated by Curious George. Like I said, he is really a unique individual, lol...

buddy

SFR... are you sure that's ASPIE? To me, that's beyond Aspie... more like some layer of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

yes, he sounds aspie to me still, of course I have never met him...but this is the very kind of kid who does blur the lines.... why it is so hard do pull out levels of autism. I know tons of aspies that do the spinning/parts of objects stuff. the rest seems right in there.... the repeating and talking endlessly about their topic of interest. At least for those Aspies I have known and cared about. some, you barely know there is an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) issue at all. Q does things that seem very Aspie like, but he has things that place him smack dab in Autism.... especially the language delay, cognitive issues, etc. In the end, I guess once on the spectrum, at least then you can get Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) intervention.