You know you live in.....

flutterby

Fly away!
I thought this would be fun to do.

Start your post with, "You know you live in [your state/province/country]....

(for those of you in larger states you might want to say, for example, SoCal, Upstate NY, etc)

I'll start.

You know you live in Ohio.....

.....if you've ever run the furnace and the a/c in the same day

.....if you've ever worn a sweatshirt and shorts at the same time

.....if you know what "knee high by the 4th of July" means

:D

Marguerite

You know you live in Sydney when -

* you spell Harbour with a capital H

* a traditional Christmas dinner is ludicrous in summer, but we still all do it

Marg

trinityroyal

You know you live in Toronto when:

It's garbage day, not recycling day, GARbage day. So, you wheel the giant 5-ft tall city issued recycling bin to the curb, place it next to the 3-ft tall composting bin and leave for work. When you get home you discover that the calendar had a misprint and it actually is reCYCling day, so you wheel your still-full bins back to the garage.

You know you live in New Jersey when you go to another state, and have to read the directions, and still can't figure out how to pump your own gas!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
You know you live in MN:
When there are blizzards on Halloween Day.
The piles of plowed snow are still melting in late July.
You can't remember the last time there was a "snow" day.
Bridges break don'cha know?
Lutefisk is served at our state fair.
The state motto is "uff da you betcha, ya sure".

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
More Ohio...

...When people forget how to drive in rain or snow with a week between storms...
...When there is at least one festival EVERY WEEKEND between April and January...
...When you have a ski resort called "Mad River Mountain" that reminds you of the beginner bunny hills in the Rockies...

Andy

You know you live in MN when.....
Mosquitos are large enough to be pets
A 30 degree winter day feels GREAT
Neighbors are there to help whenever
Any type of food can be served on a stick (State Fair)
Snow is our middle name (Minna-snow-ta)

Lothlorien

You know you live in NJ, when

people ask "What exit?"

Half of the people are either wearing Jets, Giants or Eagles shirts

When you have to work two hours, just to pay the tolls to get from one end of the state to the other

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You know you live in Texas when...

...It takes more than a full day's drive to cross the state (El Paso to Texarkana)...
...If it snows one inch the city shuts down for a week, even though it melts immediately...
...Your town is built on the sides of, and around, a mountain (making takeoffs from the airport lots of fun)...
...You have a witty retort for, "Only two things come from Texas"...
...You wear a coat at night because it's 50 degrees and a tank top and shorts during the day because it's 110...
...Your kids build sandmen instead of snowmen...
...Grass turns yellow in the wintertime...
...You understand why people say "y'all"...
...You wear Tony Lama boots 365 days a year...
...You know the difference between cowboy boots and western wear (if you can't kill a cockroach in a corner, it's western wear)...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You know you live in southern Ohio when.......

You know buckeye is not just a plant but a treat to eat.

Your morning commute traffic on the highway consists of Amish carriages and farm equipment

You know "hillbilly" is not just a stereotype

When a complete stranger can walk up to you and have an hour long conversation and never bother to ask you your name.

When they cancel or delay school due to an inch of snow because the buses can't navigate safely on winding country lanes and the hills were those steriotypes live. lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yanno you live in Chicago when "dragging it through the garden" is what you do to a hotdog with "everything'.

Pizza is a religion.

You can get good BBQ in the styles of most states.

When there are too seasons: winter and road construction (goes for WI as well)

crazymama30

You know you live in Central Oregon when

If you don't like weather drive for 5minutes, it will change
You carry extra clothes, even in the summer, to go over the passes
You ski untill June
You can get to the beach or the desert in 4 hours.

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha...these are too funny.

You know you live in WI when:

20 degrees is celebrated and people wear shorts.

Every dinner lasts 5 hours and consists largely of massive amounts of meat, cheese curds and beer.

They'll buy anything from Door County at triple the cost just because it's from Door County.

You resign looking sexy as you're triple layered in clothes ALL THE TIME.

The morning news consists of some guy who face plants on the ground after leaving the quarter beer bar.

No one knows what Tofu is.

Everyone says 'you betcha,' or 'absolutely.'

Weight gain is sluffed off as a necessity to get through the winter. Gee...those 2 weeks of summer are going to make up for that!

I could go on, and on...

Abbey

muttmeister

You know you live in Nebraska when

the four seasons are football, analyzing football, spring football, and looking forward to football.

somebody calls you and it's a wrong number and you spend a half hour talking to them anyway.

everybody waves at you when you meet them on the road and you wave back whether you know them or not.

when the tornado siren blows, everybody goes out in the yard and looks at the sky.

Tractor Supply does more business than the mall.

everybody knows what you mean when you say you're going to rogue the milo, or have Rocky Mountain oysters for supper.

the three meals are breakfast, dinner, and supper.

weddings have to be scheduled around football season (we just did that with my son's).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You know you live in:
So. Arizona when...
- only people who live here have heard of a Sonoran Hot Dog (AWESOME)
- when you see a trickle of water the whole town goes crazy
-when it actually rains it takes an extra 15 minutes to get to school which normally takes 4, due to all of the roads flooding.
-there is more leather on our skin than in our clothing
-what grass?
-you have to carry tweezers everywhere you go, to pull out cactus needles
-you know that "skunk" smell is not a skunk, it is a Javalina
-Home invasion is a daily news alert
-your kids know that a Gila Monster is truly a "monster" that can kill them! But you can stroll away from them. LOL
-We get a whole week off of school for "Rodeo Days"!

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know you live in.....
South Carolina when:

You scrape all your political bumper stickers off so you avoid conversations and snickers at the gas stations during travel.

You get tired of explaining about the 150' x 60' gigantic Confederate flag on the poll blowing in the wind at the I-77 exit 1.

If you were from ANYWHERE above the Ohio River - You are going to be called a Yankee.

Chiggers do exist.

You can literally watch Kudzu grow a foot a day. (It's an invasive vine)

Our city motto: It's hot. (no joke)

If your fish glow. We are the largest toxic dumping ground in the US and apparently proud of it. :alien:

Are 50th in education and 3rd highest in unemployment.

Your treasurer is a cocaine addict and trafficer.

Your secretary of agriculture abuses and starves animals.

Your governor is a philanderer. THEN....just yesterday.....

Your Lt. Governor compares poor people to stray animals.

Not really feeling the love for SC today.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ya know yer in smalltown MO when:

-yer brother-in-law's cows got out of the trailer on the highway and the round-up makes the 6 o'clock news

-yer husband's ex shows up on yer facebook page as a suggested friend at least twice daily

-yer goat gets close to the road and you get called by 6 people, who call the goat by name

-tractors pass yer house at least 4 times a day

-the rules for vehicles during the fall festival are 'no traffic except grain trucks and combines"

-the cafe has a hitching post

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha...

Toto - that should be Vegas' motto. Grass? We don't have 'that' kind of grass.

Shari - don't know what to say. Too funny. Growing up we had 400+ cattle along with a hundred other critters and we knew all of their names. Shoot, today I sometimes have to think hard to remember my own name.

I had to pull over in the middle of MN...hadn't seen a car in about an hour. I pull over to change my clothes as I had barfed all over them from car sickness. Low and behold, I'm completely naked trying to clean up and some tractor guy rolls by and just gives me the thumbs up. I have great timing.

Star - Chigger bites are the worst. We had SOOO many of them in Florida. They love the moss hanging in the trees. Invisible buggers that are a pain.

Abbey

flutterby

Fly away!
:rofl:

These are so funny!

Star, we had - and I'm sure they still do - Kudzu in Georgia. Ugh. I don't miss that at all. Some nature show or something - this was years ago - parked a car and left it for 3 weeks with a camera running on it. In 3 weeks Kudzu had grown around the car all the way up to the windows.

Shari - traffic report yesterday morning reported a black steer on one of the interstates.

More Ohio:

you get to practice your evasive driving skills all winter to avoid potholes that randomly appear (they weren't there yesterday) - or you'll end up with a flat tire or two.

(they actually had signs up yesterday - USE CAUTION - POTHOLES LOL!)