Your Dream Home

AppleCori

Rn. That is a lovely kitchen. I like that the painted wall parts are greyish/taupish. That is very practical I think. With the woodwork, which will resist dirt, the only pure white.

I have a white kitchen. Completely. White. My upper woodwork has held up. The lower? Yuck.i will repaint it a medium blue. And keep the walls and upper cabinets white.

Not smart. It was pretty for one week.

I also regret the stainless appliances. Impractical. Hard to clean. The fridge spots and corrodes from rust. The stove scratches with cleaning. And never cleans real good I would not do it again.

But the biggest mistake? A pure white floor throughout the house. We painted the concrete slab.

That itself, was a good idea, taking up carpets. We can mop. We have pets. The floor is comfortable because we used epoxy paint.

But surprise. Surprise. Every. Single. Thing. Shows. And the white has stained and discolors.

I will paint the floor again a pale pale taupe /off white.

I love paint.

I love kitchens.

I love your house plan, lil. Especially the long porches at either side of the house.

As far as the longed for but lost stone house, it served its purpose to show you what you wanted and needed. It will come.

Concrete floors are so “in” right now.

My daughter has concrete floors in the fancy downtown apartment she is in right now. They are a medium brown and sealed, so they are easy to clean.

I like the blue on bottom/white on top color scheme for the cabinets. Let us know how that works out—with pictures, if possible!

AppleCori

That's okay honey, you just are catching my aging, menopausal brain. It's the glass plant room...LOL

More land is better - I was being reasonable and coming up with something we can afford. :)

If you can have a basement, you do have a basement. Hilly as it is, Missouri is a tornado state.

You do NOT want to get me started on my kitchen. Or the ENTIRE kitchen that is still after two years sitting in boxes in my basement! TWO YEARS! The beautiful, new cabinets and stove and....

It's better I not talk at all about my kitchen.
:mad:

I remember the story of the brand new kitchen sitting in your basement!

I guess I do “know” someone in MO with a basement.....

My memory is not the best anymore, either, and I have been prone to doing and saying some really weird stuff lately (I realize no one has noticed).....

OK, maybe I have always said weird stuff, so it’s not really new, but I have done more stupid things than usual.....

ahhjeez

Your house reminds me of mine. Very nice. Homey. Cute but nice.

The last thing I want now is a big house. Kids are grown and gone.

Thanks SWOT. I love your house! Our house was originally 960 sqf. but we did an add-on and it's now 1400+ which is still pretty small. We've been here since 1994 and my husband will be retiring in about 7 years. We aren't sure if we'll stay or maybe move someplace with a bit more privacy. My neighbors are absolutely amazing. People always remark that my neighborhood looks like something out of a movie so I'm not sure I want to give that up.

AppleCori

Ok. The owners who have posession of the house until Monday have white cabinets, a light blue wall and hardwood floors. The whole house is hardwood floors. With our two little dogs, I wonder how many times we will have to do work on those floors. Ugh.

Are you worried about the dogs scratching up the hardwoods? Do they have accidents? You can get the floors sealed if you are worried. Or just get them refinished at some point. I have two small dogs that run amok and chase each other through the house, and I don’t notice any scratches or marks.

I have had many different floorings over the years, and I think carpets are worse with dogs. Pet dander, shedding, dirt and stuff brought in from the outside.

BusynMember

Apple, I am VERY worried. We will get it sealed and watch them closely for damage control and let them out back a lot. I am thinking we will need a treatment every year!

AppleCori

Apple, I am VERY worried. We will get it sealed and watch them closely for damage control and let them out back a lot. I am thinking we will need a treatment every year!

I was worried at first, too, when we got the new floors after I moved into hubby’s house. I even considered not getting a dog for fear of them scratching up the flooring, but I haven’t had a problem.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, but you can figure the upkeep into your household budget, anyway.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Honestly I wish my floors were wood rather than ceramic made to look like wood. I hear it's hard on your feet and legs. Not that I'm going to be standing around and we'll have area rugs. These are very durable and they are pretty.

Lighted looks cool!

I think this move and house were divine intervention to help our son get a fresh start.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Honestly I wish my floors were wood rather than ceramic made to look like wood. I hear it's hard on your feet and legs. Not that I'm going to be standing around and we'll have area rugs. These are very durable and they are pretty.

Lighted looks cool!

I think this move and house were divine intervention to help our son get a fresh start.

AppleCori

Lighted looks cool!

I really like the wood-look ceramic tiles for their durability. I like the cool feeling of the ceramics in a hot climate. Also, can’t beat the ease of cleaning, especially if you or the dogs are bringing in sand and dirt on your shoes.

Edited to add: you probably don’t have to worry about the dogs with dirt on their shoes....

Lil

I like ceramic also and we tiled (though not wood-look) the kitchen and dining room several years ago. Sadly, the independent installer we hired (husband of a former coworker) did a terrible job and it's cracked and the grout is all out of it...terrible. you can actually look down and see the subfloor in places. :mad: So, when we FINALLY redo the kitchen, we're getting the luxury vinyl plank that looks like wood. I do think half the problem with our floor is the ceramic is just too heavy...the floor has movement and that cracks the tile. The flooring guy should have known this. Anyway, vinyl is light, does NOT scratch, doesn't have water problems like wood and laminate do, and the better new stuff looks just like hardwood! Plus, it's warmer and softer than tile and Jabber and I should be able to install it ourselves since it's a floating floor like laminate.

I really want my kitchen... :frown:

Pink Elephant

I really like the wood-look ceramic tiles for their durability. I like the cool feeling of the ceramics in a hot climate. Also, can’t beat the ease of cleaning, especially if you or the dogs are bringing in sand and dirt on your shoes.

Edited to add: you probably don’t have to worry about the dogs with dirt on their shoes....
I'm in love with porcelain wood-grain tile. Looks so real. makes old-fashioned square floor tile look so dated. Wish we could have the wood grain throughout.

pasajes4

I just got finished doing the outside of my house and the guest bathroom. Its beautiful. I want to sleep in it. I'm going to try to up load

Attachments

• 20180607_163219_Film3.jpg
    20180607_163219_Film3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 20180606_152425_Film3.jpg
    20180606_152425_Film3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 20180606_152440_Film3.jpg
    20180606_152440_Film3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 302

pasajes4

Im terrible at taking pictures. Its whiye mosaic tiles and white floor tiles that have subtle gray lines running through it. The vanity is charcol gray with a white and gray marble top from the property brotherd line of bath vanaties from Lowes. My bathroom is next tub to shower conversion new vanaties with white quartz top. I cant wait till it's finished. We get to use the guezt bath for the first time on Saturday. I can't wzit to dress it with all the new stuff. Im going for a French vintage hotel spa look.