Your favourite magazine(s)

Pink Elephant

Do you have a favourite magazine(s)?

What sort of magazines interests you?

Do you tend to buy more magazines during certain months of the year?

Do you have a subscription to a magazine(s)?

After you're done reading a magazine, do you save it or pass it down to someone else?

Do you have a dedicated bookcase or shelf in your home for your collection of good reads (magazines, novels, etc)?

Wish

I use to be really into magazines, you know fashion ones, but I lost interest a long time ago because you flip open a magazine and it is nothing but advertisements. I mean my gosh, some advertisements are fine of course, but it's multiplied so much in the last 15 years to the point where its nothing but advertisements it seems. I wish magazines would go back to being what they use to be like back in the day. I really enjoyed reading them back when they had interesting articles.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
I too have lost interest in magazines. Too many adds and the rising costs.
But I like Readers Digest and of all things, Women’s World. Once in a great while Oprah. People has that yearly issue on Weight loss success I like. I like Prevention mag. I would say I buy one of these I mentioned every 12-18 months. So, that’s about four purchases every year to year and a half. Once in a great while I will pick up WSJ. Many years ago I bought Time and Newsweek. We get our hometown paper Thursday through Sunday delivered. I love this. Never read it daily anyway. I forgot, I subscribe to our hometown magazine, but will not renew. Once in a great while I’ll buy a fashion magazine. Usually when I’m travelleling.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I used to read tons of mags from fashion, Ladies Home Journal to Pet magazines.

I am down to Pets and Spiritual mags that come to me online. The cost and just the clutter, which i am trying to deal with, is no longer a good thing for me.

Pink Elephant

So much fun reading about everyone's likes and dislikes related to magazines.

I totally get the cost. Sheesh, and yes, do agree on all the advertising. I often find myself picking up a magazine and with a quick fan through the pages, if I see a majority of content doesn't interest me, back on the shelf it goes.

AppleCori

Interesting topic, Pink!

I haven’t bought a magazine in years.

I look at them in the grocery check-out line and often see a picture of a food item that looks good, but the $7+ price tag of the magazine reminds me that I can find something similar for free online.

Back in the ancient days, I had subscriptions to Taste of Home and later, their other publications Quick Cooking and Light and Tasty. Now, they send me recipes every day in my email free.

When I got those magazines, I would cut out the recipes I wanted to try and put them in my recipe binder. The unused portions would get thrown away.

Now, Taste of Home has a “recipe box” on their website hat I keep my favorite recipes from their site, so that I don’t clutter up my inbox.

When my daughter was younger, she had subscriptions to National Geographic for Kids and a couple of others. I donated them to the homeschool group for whomever wanted them when we were through with them.

Back in the ancient past, I had subscriptions (at various times) to Newsweek, Time, various “women’s” magazines, American Rifleman, fitness magazines, various food publications, kids magazines, baby/child oriented magazines, and probably some others. I would pass them to others when I finished with them.

I will make another post later about books!

Pink Elephant

Do you have a favourite magazine(s)? Oh yes... anything to do with Homes and Gardens.

What sort of magazines interests you? Homes, Gardens, Victorian, Architecture.

Do you tend to buy more magazines during certain months of the year? Hmmm... come to think of it, I do. Once summertime is over and autumn is near, I tend to start spending more time inside once again, and having a good read by my side is paramount.

Do you have a subscription to a magazine(s)? No. I much prefer selecting something special that strikes my fancy at the time. Makes me look forward to the purchase.

After you're done reading a magazine, do you save it or pass it down to someone else? Some, yes, others, no. Depends what sort of content they have.

Do you have a dedicated bookcase or shelf in your home for your collection of good reads (magazines, novels, etc)? Oh, I wish I did. A library or den has been a long-time dream of mine. Even an antique bookcase with glass doors would be sweet. Something elegant that stands out and makes a statement.

Pink Elephant

Apple. Your post made me remember a magazine I used to frequently buy back in the 80's. I think it was called, Mothering. It always had all sorts of great stuff for moms related to childrearing, etc.

One of the first things I do before sitting down to read a magazine, is tear-out those stiff cardboard like advertisements. Loathe those things.

BusynMember

I think I am going to have a special place for my few paperbacks and magazines in my house.

I used to love Time. Every so often theTime now has a special edition. It is usually $15.O0 which is a turn off to me but I did buy thr one about tje Science of Happiness. It is too bad the prices have gotten so high. That was one great mag with the actual science behind being happy.

Pink Elephant

Yes, I remember Time, National Geographic, and Reader's Digest, where all top magazines/reads when I was a kid. Even to this day National Geographic (in my opinion) hasn't lost it's way. It's still a quality magazine.

I agree, prices of magazines have turned me away somewhat, too. I tend to save my change and when I border on having enough for a purchase, I select the one that jumps out at me.

AppleCori

As for books and bookshelves—

I have built-in shelving in my family room. There is a space for our 70-inch flat screen (yes, I realize this is strange since I’m not much of a TV person, but hubby likes it) and it is surrounded by shelves.

I have two shelves with old books that I have collected. Some were my grandfather’s.

Two shelves consists of books written by people I know (I had a father in law that was a published author) or have someone I know in them (I have family history that was published, and my older daughters have some poetry that was published, and one has research that was published). Also, old family Bibles and such from both hubby and I, plus an old family cookbook from hubby’s great-grandmother (with some interesting and sometimes slightly racy comments from his great-grandfather).

Then, there are a few hardback books on various shelves that I just love and won’t part with.

Only one shelf is “full”. The others are half full/only have a few volumes in them, as well as a few decorations, mostly small items from my grandmother, great-grandmothers, and great-great grandmothers.

In my bedroom, I have this ottoman that I use to get on and off the bed (its an unusually high bed). I keep some old paperbacks in it that I enjoy and can’t part with (and don’t want the whole world to know that I own. Or anyone, actually). Could this be a guilty pleasure?

This brings me to the current bane of my existence: the two rooms formerly known as the “formal living room/dining rooms”.

These two rooms are, thankfully, closed off from view. They used to be my school rooms when my daughter was younger, but as of recently, schooling looks different. I used to have need for lots of space for projects and books and “centers” for different subjects, but now she does more and more classes online and we just work in the kitchen.

Now, there are four bookshelves with various books on them that should be gone through again. The mice still occupy the room, as do the aquatic frogs and such. We use to have several fish tanks there, but only one, now.

I cleaned out tons of books from that room. Many are still in boxes in the basement. Many I have donated for the tax write-off. I want to go through the rest and get rid of a bunch more. The tax write-off is really good for books, surprisingly. Beats on-line selling, though I still sell the homeschool books online.

Summary:

So, I’m sure no one wants to read all of that, but I’m not erasing it because it took me a while to write!

To summarize, I donate books for the tax write-off and keep only what is important or a few guilty pleasure paperbacks.

I have way too many kids books still, that I need to go through and donate.

I have bookshelves in the family room for the good stuff, and bookshelves in the old school room for kids books.

I have five or six boxes in the basement that still need to be gone through.

Edited to add: I buy generally from used book stores of the used books on Amazon.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Love the sounds of your built-in bookshelves, Apple.

I would be thrilled with one simple, but elegant bookcase. Something like this.

As for what cookbooks I have, I keep those in a cupboard in the kitchen. Wish I had a large walk-in pantry with shelving for such.

P.S. never feel apprehensive about writing/replying in detail when it comes to me, because I always read it and enjoy it. :)

f24724957a1eef2cefed067c7128cf5c_9c5f41e7284f120300d32382a490d851.jpg

Last edited:

AppleCori

Cookbooks are interesting—

Long ago, I cut out any recipes that I wanted from my cookbooks and put them in my binders.

I keep four binders—one for main dishes and veggies, one for deserts, appetizers and such, one for special occasions, holidays, etc., and one for household organization, homemade household cleaners, etc.

I have one “cookbook” for my spiralizer. It was a gift from my kids, so I don’t want to get rid of it or cut it up. And, I like my spiralizer.

Pink Elephant

I love cookbooks, but far better enjoy my time in the kitchen when I rely on my good old memory. No reading, no measuring, no nothing, just good-old-fashioned home-cooking! :)

AppleCori

Your bookcase pictures are beautiful, Pink.

My personal style is shaker. Some call it mission.

An ex hubby bought me a bunch of real wood shaker-style Amish furniture once, and I still have it. I have this huge wooden dining table with extra leaves and a bunch of chairs and wooden benches. He called it my 4k dollar laundry folding table.....

I like straight lines and a very simple and clean style.

Pink Elephant

Yes, aren't they, Apple. I can only dream...

I love Shaker Furniture. So simple and homey. All of the Shaker furniture I've ever seen was well-made and solid.

LOL, about your expensive laundry folding table. Then again, although our kitchen table is an old-fashioned one and cheap as borscht, I used to fold diapers on it when my kids were little.

AppleCori

Is this your actual table, Pink?

If so, you realize you are hip and retro, right?

Hey, Pink, we just returned from the lake and I had a bunch of undies to hand wash this morning.

In honor of you, I threw caution to the winds and hung them all out to dry in the back yard!

KTMom91

Books? Too many books? You mean not enough bookshelves, right?

I have probably a thousand books, not counting what's on my Kindle. We have added several bookshelves, and some (like my Nancy Drew collection ranging from the 1930s to the 1970s) are in boxes in the closet. I found a site that carries reprints of the books I read as a teenager, before the YA category was popular. Mostly what I read now is what I get for review.

Magazines - not really. Newspapers - on Sunday. I read our local and the San Francisco Chronicle. Love my Chronicle.