Your .o2 on engagement rings/casual weddings

susiestar

Roll With It
ASK what Jumper wants. She will wear this ring for years and buying it without her input is slightly crazy, in my opinion.

As for the wedding, at least the reception should be FUN! Mine was outside in August in Oklahoma. We rented an awning and it only came in bright yellow. So we bought a bunch of beach balls and inflated them and tied them in bouquets in the corners. We wrote our names and the date on them and used them instead of napkins or matchbooks (we don't smoke and my hubby will set most anything on fire so matchbooks were a definite NO!). Everyone got a beach ball to take home. Most of our guests had kids and these were much enjoyed. The tables were covered with butcher paper and crayons were on all the tables to keep people occupied.

I covered one table in the corner with fabric and put out sharpies for people to sign and write wishes on. I kept that tablecloth (just white canvas from the fabric store) and had people sign it at birthdays and family meals for years. It is really special to us.

The food can be as fancy or casual as you want. We did platters of cold cuts and cheese and big bowls of potato salad and things like that. We made it ourselves. Our local university has a college of hotel and restaurant administration so we hired a student to help out. We also hired a music student to play for the wedding. It was far easier than dealing with professional musicians and caterers.

My wedding was so casual the best man brought his dog. Except Emily. But she was 4 and expected my husband to wait for her to grow up so she could marry him. Other than that we all had fun. She pouted. it was cute. Don't feel you have to live up to any standard of anything you see on Pinterest or that some relative hears about. Do what Jumper wants and what she and her fiance are comfortable with. Period.

Heck, a year later my aunt got married. So much of the family and friends wanted to help that she let them all help with the cake. Each one got a pan and a brownie mix. They got to make brownies any way they wanted. The cake was an entire table of pans of brownies with all different things mixed in and topped and frosted on them. My aunt is a teacher and she had past and current students who made some, family helped, everyone and his brother made a pan of brownies. It was really cool. The line for food was so long that she went ahead and cut several pans of brownies so people could eat while they waited in line for the buffet.

You can do the wedding and reception any way you want!! Or rather that Jumper and her Fiance want!

LittleDudesMom

Sticking my nose in here - I love the casual vibe of the wedding and that it will be low key. Some young couples have these big flashy weddings and it's really for their parents and their style gets lost and overlooked! This is what happened to my sister. My mom took control and planned it all to impress...

I'm a little confused on the ring though - if future sister in law has a good job, why are you and your husband giving him money for the ring? Personally, I've never heard of the bride's parents giving money for the engagement ring.

Sharon

BusynMember

Thanks all. He has a good job, but has bills. We want to help so Jumper can get what she wants and the payments will be lower. He really feels funny accepting anything though so we shall see.

We did go looking for rings today and Jumper likes white gold, favors emeralds and loves unique. She picked out a few rings that looked great on her finger...the white gold had some rose mixed in?? It and it matched her skin tone perfectly. She has beautiful caramel skin.

This is the story. I will call boyfriend Jim. Jim wants her to pick out three rings she likes and he will pick from them and propose to her at some future date...and in his own way. She has no idea what he has up his sleeve for that. Jumper's only request is that Jim ask her dad for permission to marry her...lol. She is very close to her dad and although she knows we both like Jim and Dad will say yes (and that this is not the custom anymore), SHE wants him to do it for her. I think its sweet.

So thats the deal. All the friends they hang with are getting married or engaged and she has gone to some weddings to get ideas. Although she doesnt want a very fancy or traditional wedding, she does want a professional photographer, a DJ, and real flowers at least for the folks in the wedding party. On the other hand she thinks cupcakes may be cool and wants her sister to bake them for her...Princess is a yummy pastry chef who can bake magically.

There will be no wedding until Jumper graduates from the police academy in 2018.

I had a lot of fun with Jumper. My other daughter has never married her boyfriend. So this is my first time. And Jumper is always great to hang out with.

stressedmama

Jump on some of the facebook yard sale sites in your area...I know the ones I'm on always have someone selling props, decorations, etc from their barn-style weddings. Big savings that way!!! Congrats to you and Jumper. So sorry for your loss.

BusynMember

Well, it didnt turn out to be alow cost wedding lol and I wont mention the price of her dress. We are getting some help from the grooms family as they have a huge family and we cant do 300 people if they want everyone to come lol.

I am very excited. The groom is a very cool, nice man with a great family who all love my precious daughter. That counts more than the wedding to this mom ;)

Last edited: