Zimmerman trial anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiredmommy

I live close to the Canadian border and cross on a fairly frequent basis. What many people do not realize is that you have very limited rights while in the process of crossing international borders. There is no such thing as an unreasonable search and seizure, identity papers must be produced upon demand and you can be detained for little or no reason. Both Canada's and The United States' border police are governed under different laws than standard law enforcement.

BusynMember

... and you know what else REALLY bothers me about all this? Has Zimmerman ever, even once, expressed any regret over what happened? Has he ever showed even the slightest little bit of remorse that he killed an unarmed teenager who was just minding his own business and doing nothing wrong? Has he ever shown even the tiniest bit of compassion for the parents whose young son he gunned down? If he has ever done any of these things, I didn't hear about it!

He's quite pleased with himself. He could do it again. Just like Casey Anthony can kill another child. Neither had an ounce of remorse.

Wouldn't you feel guilty even if you killed somebody by accident, as in a car accident, even if it was the other person's fault? What if some drunken kids hit you and all died? Would you feel nothing because it wasn't your fault? I could never be like that. I'd be thinking of their poor parents and family and the mistakes our youth make. I don't get some people.

Kathy813

Staff member
If George Zimmerman has just stayed in his car like he was told to do, none of this would have happened and the Trayvon would be alive today. However, based on the court trial, I don't think that the jurors had any choice but to bring back the not guilty version. There was too much doubt about who was yelling for help and which one was the aggressor at that point. I do agree that Zimmerman has that poor boy's blood on his hands and that he is a dangerous man. I just saw today that he was kicked out of a community college just short of his associates degree because he was considered a danger to the campus. Interesting, huh? And we are going to let him carry a gun again.

However, whenever I become upset about a verdict, I remember what one commenter said after the OJ verdict. "It is far better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man is wrongfully convicted ..."

~Kathy

pasajes4

I do not believe that he will go through the rest of his life unpunished for his heinous disregard of human life. He is marked by this young mans blood. He will find very few places where he can live without a great deal of hostiity thrown his way. Perhaps a white supremist community will welcome him. I believe his days are numbered.

muttmeister

I was saddened but not surprised at the outcome.

You can talk about guns and laws and lawyers and juries and all of that stuff but it really makes no difference,

The fact is that GZ stalked this kid and killed him. If it had been a black man who stalked and killed a white teen, he'd be on death row right now.

Dixies_fire

Mwm ill agree I dont know what it's like to be of color in this country. Because by appearance I'm white, if not ethnicity.

When I was 20 and had a dependent and made less then 400.00 every two weeks I didn't qualify for any assistance in alabama. I filled out paperwork 4 times and was told each and every time I messed up the paperwork even though I was apparently smart enough to fill out the Medicaid portion and get approved the first time.

I dont know if you will believe this or not because historically it wasn't true, but it is now. White people are a minority where I am from. I was one of two when I went to school there. It's hard to get a job there. I've been jumped on the basis on my skin color for stopping at the wrong gas station on my way to my 3rd shift job and beaten till I bled and had cracked ribs.

The world has more evil in it then most people can see. There is
More injustice then just one side.

I don't think him killing a child is right, I don't think Casey Anthony should of gotten off either.
I just think violence begets violence.

BusynMember

I'm sorry when anyone is victimized. However, I don't think historically we can say the stories of whites and blacks and hispanics and Native Americans in our country are the same. I am angry at all obvious injustice. The OJ trial was not a shock to me because I knew that the black jury would never convict him. I even won some OJ bets :) Got $120 in all for betting he'd go free when he obviouisly had done it. And his karma caught up to him. I only hope Casey and George get their karma.

I personally don't think most people are evil. I think many are ignorant, but not evil. Evil is when you can take a life and not shed a tear or justify it (George) or try to say it didn't happen (Casey and OJ) or talk about w ho you killed and how you killed and do it in a matter-of-fact-way (Ted Bundy and all serial killers).

Our laws make it very easy for sociopaths without regard for the lives of others to kill. And right now our country is in a very bad way, lots of extra hate to go around. And more and more states are implementing laws that say you can kill people just because you FEEL threatened. I would never live in such a state. I'm sorry that I live in such a country.

muttmeister

Just putting in my 2 cents about OJ: In this country money trumps even race. If OJ had been poor, with a court appointed lawyer, he probably would have gotten the death penalty. If you have enough money you can pretty much get away with anything. And it is getting worse.

DammitJanet

Race had a small part to do with it but I dont think it had as much to do with it as the powers that be decided to make it. I think Zimmerman would have followed anyone he thought looked suspicious and he didnt think belonged in his neighborhood be they white, hispanic, black or purple.

I think he is one of those people who are wanna be cops. In his case he had even more reason for that attitude because so many people in his family were in law enforcement and he just couldnt seem to make the cut. He most likely felt like a failure and this was the best he could do. Everyone always talks about justice but that often isnt what matters in court. Its whichever side can argue the best. The state has to prove their case, the defense doesnt have to even put on a defense if the state cant prove their case.

We have a new case coming up in FL and if this guy gets off then it will show completely that FL has two sets of laws. This is a better case than the Zimmerman case was for proving that. One black kid was shot dead in the SUV he was sitting in simply because they were playing that rap music too loud. A white man got mad and pulled out a gun and shot into the side window of the SUV. Then the man drove off without calling the police and they ended up finding him in a motel room about 30 miles away. My theory is he was drunk and didnt want to get caught for drunk driving. His solution to the problem of not liking loud rap music was to move his car which was parked in the parking lot of a 7/11 where his girlfriend was getting a couple of bottles of wine to take back to the motel room.

I dont see how this can be anything but first degree murder. Intent can be formed in the blink of an eye and he sure had intent.

donna723

They were saying on TV today that George Zimmerman had made dozens and dozens of calls to 911 about people he considered to be "suspicious". And in every one of those calls to 911, the person he considered to be suspicious was black! Not one single call about a white or Hispanic person, only black people. That says a lot.

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

I dont see how this can be anything but first degree murder. Intent can be formed in the blink of an eye and he sure had intent.
Well, no, not quite.
First degree murder requires planning, and that would be difficult to prove in the case you described.
Second degree murder takes away the requirement for planning, but requires intent to kill, which would be closer.
Manslaughter does not involve the intent to kill - although there may have been intent to injure or maim, the situation went farther than "intended".

DammitJanet

That might be the case in Canada but in the US, intent can be formed very quickly. If you have the time to think yes or no, intent is formed. You dont have to plan for days, you dont have to have a good plan. Your plan doesnt have to include any specific person.

This man's intent was the moment he got mad then reached into his glove box and took out his gun with all intents and purposes to shoot the people in the SUV that made him mad. That is plenty of time to form intent. He had many different choices he could have made which would have been just as easy to do like put his car in reverse and move to another parking space further from the offending music. If everyone decided to shoot people who blared music from their cars, the only people left driving would be over 40. And even some of them have to turn it up rather loud because they are deaf.

This case has absolutely nothing to do with stand your ground or anything else like that. It has to do with a middle aged man who couldnt stand rap (and may have been a bit under the influence) who shot into a packed vehicle then fled the scene without calling for help. And this man claimed to have been trained by the police or the FBI...cant remember which....on how and when to shoot his gun. Obviously it didnt take.

BusynMember

Canada is different, but certainly not what I'd call better. Trust me on that, especially with the justice system. Take my word for it. It's been a weekend of stress as I wait to hear back from the parole board about bio monster. He's served all of 12 months and is apparently likely getting a early parole hearing. This for pleading guilty to the destruction of 3 women's entire lives, mine included. His victims are in the dozens but three of us prosecuted. So if he gets it, he will have served 4 months for each of the victims that came forward to prosecute. For rape, incest, and a slew of other indignities. Even if he is denied, he gets mandatory parole next June. So he will only serve 8 months per victim. And they've moved him to what I call Camp Pedo. He gets a large house on prison grounds, his own room, privacy, freedom on grounds from 7am - 11pm each day. They budget for their own groceries and can even order take out to be delivered if they choose.

I would flee this country if I had the financial means. I feel no loyalty to my flag and I'm ashamed to live in this country. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think the justice system is too hot in any country. My main reason for leaving the US would be the incredible bigotry of at least half our citizens, the acceptance of people who hate, the way we deal with social issues (going backwards, not forward), including one religion in much of our legislation (such as an attempt to make a fetus a person with inheritance rights, and how stupidity is lauded as a good thing. Some people who ran for President last time were dumber than me. Now THAT is bad. I like my leaders to be smart, even if I disagree with them.

I think more like a European/Canadian than an American. I know this from many years chatting on international MIRC channels.

I used to be proud of the US, but with what is going on in our country now, with a vast lack of compassion toward the poor and excuses about bigotry, I'd just as soon never have to deal with it again. I would like to live somewhere that does not broadcast Fox News as serious news. But I can't move so I will just hide in my little hole :).

I really don't like how easy it is for any goof to buy a gun here. I have a long history of mental illness, but I could buy a gun if I wanted to. Easy peasy. So could our difficult children. All of them. To me, it's not being free to know that I could get shot by any kook who thinks I am threatening to his life. I'd rather people duke it out than have the ability to kill one another from half a mile away. I'm glad not one of my kids have ever been interested in guns. As different as they are, they have all never shot a gun.

I hope Zimmerman gets what he deserves, like OJ did. Ditto for Casey Anthony and all those who hurt other people without a care or an "I'm sorry."

Status
Not open for further replies.