zucchini recipe?

klmno

Does anyone have a quick and easy zucchini recipe- just something simple?

I made some last night as an experiment- I put it in aluminum foil with a few slices of red onion and orange bell pepper and a couple of dashes of Italian dressing and threw it on the grill with the other stuff. It was pretty good, but I'm not using the grill tonight. I only have regular staples that I can use with it tonight and I don't want it to go to waste. Any ideas?

witzend

I like to saute mine in a little olive oil with some onion and carrot, spiced with a little salt and pepper and a dash of garlic. I top it off with a touch of parmesan cheese when I serve it.

I'm going to have to try your idea, as I have all the ingredients and am grilling tonight.

donna723

I've got my old standby - sounds awful but tastes wonderful even if you don't particularly like squash. Everybody has to be pursuaded to try it the first time but even my picky-eater nephew likes this now!

Cut three or four small squash into bite-sized pieces. It's prettier if you use some green and some yellow squash, but you can use either. Put it in a sauce pan with a lid. Slice up a medium size onion and put it in with the squash. Add one (14-15 oz.) can of stewed tomatoes - I use the little diced stewed tomatoes. Add a little salt & pepper and maybe a half-cup of water. You don't need much water because a lot cooks out of the squash. Then cover and just cook it gently until the squash is tender. I know it sounds weird but the flavors blend together very well and it tastes great!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I use the same recipe as Witz, but no carrots only with onions and mushrooms and more than a dollop of chopped garlic - salt, pepper and lots of mozarella cheese at the end on top..

Marcie

klmno

I never thought of that, Janet, but I might give that a try sometime!

Witz, I tried your recipe since it popped up before I cooked and I had the ingredients handy. It was delicious!!

Thank you, all!

mstang67chic

Going Green
My mom said she used to fix them like mashed potatoes and put cheese in them and I never knew the difference.

She also fries it after dipping it in egg or milk and then flour. I'm assuming that she also put pepper or whatever spices she wanted in the flour.

Sara PA

Ive do a quick stir fry with onions, peppers and whatever other veggies I feel like and whatever meat I defrosted. I'm particularly fond of either zucchini or small egg plants in those stir frys. I eat those with rice. One day I added some tomatoes to the mix and ended up having that with angle hair pasta and topped with cheese.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez. I have zucchini coming out my ears, and they look like small babies. I swear they're about 5 pounds a piece. The house we moved into sat empty for 2 months and these things grew like wild fire. You're supposed to pick them when they are the right size, but that didn't happen. Everyone said that when they are too big they don't taste good, but they seem fine to me. I'm pawning them off to anyone who will take one...but they are all doing the same!!

I grill them a lot and found a GREAT zucchini spice cake recipe. Tastes just like carrot cake. You'd never know the difference. I'll see if I can find it again.

Ever so helpful mother in law showed me how to grind them up and freeze them for the winter. I'll be green in no time.

Abbey

Marguerite

husband & I were camp cooks once, for a Beach Mission (over the summer holidays). We had about thirty people to cook for (mostly hungry teens and young adults), three meals a day for two weeks. Our initial shopping list had been given to us by the previous camp cooks (the previous year) and included about 10 Kg of zucchinis.

We tried the usual method - slicing them and steaming them - and the kids didn't like zucchini. So we had all this food looking like it would go to waste.

Then one night we had to do a barbecue for 300 which actually wasn't as bad as it sounds - we hired a spit and cooked about four lambs, whole, on the spit. That was easy. Then we did some salad, bought some cheap pre-packaged dips, and sat back.

We had a lot of dips left over, mostly flavours that nobody liked much.

And we had all those zucchinis that nobody liked much.

So I did the obvious - I slice zucchinis and steamed them. As they cooked I got together all the leftover dips of each flavour to see what we had and how many different varieties. About even amounts, so starting with the least favourite dips, I drained the zucchinis once steamed and then stirred through the dips (creamy base).

They LOVED it! They wanted it again the next night. So I cooked zucchini and leftover dip until we had run out of both zucchini and dip.

It's important to not overcook the zucchini - it will fall apart too easily when you stir through the dip, if you cook it until it's mushy. You need the zucchini slices to holed together, so cook them until they're just soft enough to pierce easily with a fork or knife tip. Stop before they go clearish and watery.

Another option - slice them in half lengthways and roast with other vegetables.

Yum.

I also make moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (aubergine) because husband can't eat eggplant.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
If you are overrun iwth zuccini but you have freezer space you can grate or shred them and freeze them. I freeze them in 1 or 2 cup batches. To use them I thaw (they get very watery) and then add to spice cake or quick bread. I use my banana bread recipe and use the zuccini instead of the bananas. Watch the amount of liquid - sometimes you ahve to reduce the amt because the squash gives off so much. Other times I drain the liquid away and add it to the soup pot. (I keep a coffee jar in the freezer to put teh leftover cooking water from any veggies in. I just keep adding to it until it is full, then thaw it for soup. Saves a lot of nutrients that would otherwise get tossed.