Corona virus stuff

KTMom91

With California on lockdown, I'm home from school and Hubby is working from home. Grocery shopping has been an experience, since Hubby and I are helping out our moms, too. Miss KT's job is considered essential, same with the sons, so the kids are all still working. Everyone is healthy, thank goodness.

We're hanging in there, though. Hope everyone stays safe and well.

Copabanana

Hubby and I are helping out our moms, too.
Hi KTMom. I am glad everybody's healthy. And I'm glad your kids are doing well. My son is in a sober living home. I'm worried: What if he comes down with Coronavirus? What happens in a treatment setting where people who are vulnerable are packed in like sardines? What do I do, then? Would the sober living home which is run by a religious organization take responsibility for my son, or would I? I'm old. 70. I'm self-isolating because I feel at risk. My son is disorganized and minimally responsible. He would NOT adhere to necessary hygiene practices to keep me safe.

I'm anticipating a problem that g-d willing will not happen. But what would I do? I can't imagine that I would not want to take care of my son, but if the truth be told, I would not welcome it. It would be like stepping in front of a bullet. That's what it feels like. After all I have been through with him, I'm confused. In past years I would have without a thought taken him in. What kind of horrible mother wouldn't (hypothetically) want to take care of a child? I feel like a monster.

I am staying at home. Shopping has been a trip! Virtually, not physically. Except for once last week, when M went to the 99 cent store and bought bags and bags of produce, I've been getting groceries delivered. (I miss Costco so much!) It's stressful because the delivery guy does not seem to "get" the social distancing concept. But I'm grateful for the service.

HMBgal

Hi hmbgal,
Is the school going to go to online schooling or send work to be completed?
Is it possible to keep him on as close a schedule as possible to what he is accustomed to?

Hi AC,
Yes, good job with the online stuff (grandson's school is in Palo Alto, so online stuff is kind of their jam), keeping to a schedule. He's got a timer set on his phone and he's been great about starting his work for the day. I feel bad because he's worked really hard, was going to be doing his 8th grade graduation and his school makes it fun and meaningful. And now all that is off the table. He's feeling sad about that. He had finally got his social skills to the point where he was having genuine friends and healthy interactions and zip--gone. Neither of the boys with which he's friends has access to FaceTime. Sigh. This will end. It will.s work when that goes off. He doesn't care for Khan, but I have the app if he (we) need it. And one of them is on super lockdown as his parents both work in our local VA hospital

I started this thread five days ago, and look how much has changed already. I'm in California, so we've been shelter-in-place for longer than most places. Staples (eggs, milk, bagels, etc) are getting hard to locate. I'm glad I'm a baker and love to cook. Been doing a lot of that, along with jigsaw puzzles, and just keeping the kids fed. I will never take school lunches for granted again.

I'm retired, so there's that, which means (I hope) my teacher's retirement will still be paid. I was making up a part of the shortfall between my retirement and my working income by teaching 8-10 exercise classes a week, which brought in a pretty good sum, now that's gone, which is a little stressful.

My husband has been doing poorly and finally went to the doctor last week (what is it with men? They wait until stuff is sliding downhill fast before they'll go see a doctor!). His bloodwork came back positive for rheumatoid arthritis. So my husband, who was a marathon runner, could use his hands to fix anything, active bike rider and exerciser, is now slowly shuffling around the house and when he does that even for a few minutes, it exhausts him so much that he has to go to sleep. He's sleeping far more than he's awake now, and in so much pain. He can't sleep more than an hour at a night, so he bought himself a lift chair to sleep in when he has to leave the bed (this is a guy that won't even buy himself a new shirt). His hands, arms, and knees are swollen, red, and hot. He's scared (and so am I) and incredibly tense and understandably very grumpy and he can't get a follow-up appointment to start treatment. He's always used his hands and now he has to use two hands to get a glass of water. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Both the grandkids are being incredibly great and for that, I'm grateful. My daughter, who is living in her car which now has a flat tire, is broke, her SNAP card ran out, but she's still crashing on the couch of a friend, so grateful for that, too.

Also, we got a call from Pasadena family that my 15 year old granddaughter has a classmate who just test positive COVID-19. Sigh.

Stay well and we are all probably in the process of learning some really great stuff (although we not realize what it is until this has been in rear view mirror for a bit).

Love and health to all,
HMBgal

Crayola13

I wonder how B's Mom is here my along through all this. She hasn't posted in a long time. She was having a rough go of it with him.

Crayola13

I'm wondering if we should message B's mom. Wasn't he the eight year old who made up a song about killing his mom and sang it in the grocery store? I hope she's safe. She says he's obsessed with death.