Fun thread: Pet peeves...have one or some?

BusynMember

I won't answer the door if two strangers in dresses come to my door. I agree with you on this.

GN, I will need a grief group when my babies go. I believe animals are as important as people. I am sure that people like me who consider animals equal to people is somebody's pet peeves but I don't care.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

- Toilet paper applied to roll so the paper rolls off under the roll, not over like a waterfall! Grrr!

- Dealing with the rash of dirty diapers that always awaited me (in the bathtub) when I arrived back home whenever dear mother in law babysat! She rinsed-out husband's (and his siblings) dirty diapers when they were babies, so why couldn't she do it at our house?!

- Dear mother in law always complaining that I kept my kids diapered in rubber pants (too much)! Really? Are you the one doing laundry in our house, or am I?

- Dear mother in law, and how she used to criticise me for not breastfeeding more!

- Dear mother in law passing judgement on me for still putting my kids in diapers at nighttime, after they were daytime toilet trained. Once again, she wasn't the one stripping wet crib/bed sheets along with wet pyjama bottoms in the morning! Nor was she the one dealing with the morning diapers!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
OH. There's actually a reason for hanging TP so that the paper comes from under the roll: CATS!

Hanging TP that way makes it much harder for said critters to unroll the entire roll. Instead, when they stand up and paw at it, the roll just spins around, instead of unrolling!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I won't answer. I agree with you on this.

GN, I will need a grief group when my babies go. I believe animals are as important as people. I am sure that people like me who consider animals equal to people is somebody's pet peeves but I don't care.
I know, I've been through it many times, and it doesn't get any easier, nor does the anticipation.

I am watching age begin to settle heavily on Thomas (he's 14.5 yrs old) this past year or so. He's lost weight, his coat isn't luxuriant any more, his arthritis is much worse, he's starting to lose his hearing, starting cataracts, and most of all, his face is just starting to get that "sunken-in" old cat look.

He's still in fairly good health other than his colon problems and arthritis, but I was looking at pics from three years ago once I got him fattened up and his fur grew back in, and yeah...it's scary.

I looked at pics of Squeaky from 4 yrs ago when she was 7 and compared them to her now at 11, and yeah, she's getting old, too. Just the start of the pinched look around the face, and slowing down some. My fear with her is that her chronic bladder issues will eventually lead to kidney issues, so far so good, but...

Thomas is currently on Adequan, an injectable joint supplement, which is helping him a bit (he'd rather a needle than a mouthful of disgusting stuff any day of the week), and Squeaky is now on Prozac of all things, which has solved some pishing problems and general neuroticism.

But yeah, my mother asked "offhandedly" what I spend on medications per month for the cats, and without thinking, I told her...and got an earful.

Pink Elephant

OH. There's actually a reason for hanging TP so that the paper comes from under the roll: CATS!

Hanging TP that way makes it much harder for said critters to unroll the entire roll. Instead, when they stand up and paw at it, the roll just spins around, instead of unrolling!
Makes perfect sense! :)

AppleCori

But, yeah, my mother asked "offhandedly" what I spend on medications per month for the cats, and without thinking, I told her...and got an earful.

I was telling the funny stories about taking two of my daughter’s mice in to the vet (two separate incidents) when a bunch of us were at a restaurant, and my mom got loud and said I was spending all my money on them and I wouldn’t have anything to retire on.

It totaled less than $200, altogether, and what does she think I should have done? Tell my daughter that her injured pet isn’t worth caring for? I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money for an operation or anything, but I’m not going to deprive them of basic care!

And my mom had four dogs (all of whom have passed away) that she took great care of, and spent a lot more money that I did on the mice, but apparently, mice aren’t as worthy....

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
"Pocket pets" can be really expensive to treat due to their sensitivity to infections and medications. Guinea pigs and rabbits, both of which have odd digestive tracts, are especially sensitive to diet and antibiotics/anesthetics.

Triedntrue

- Religious folk who knock on people's doors peddling their religion.

My philosophy is this, we have many-a church in our area, and I am perfectly capable of finding said church if I'm interested.
I had a friend who had the perfect answer they came to her door and said let us tell you about.... And she said sure come in and i will tell you about my religion. They turned around and left.

Pink Elephant

I had a friend who had the perfect answer they came to her door and said let us tell you about.... And she said sure come in and i will tell you about my religion. They turned around and left.
That is the best thing I have ever heard related to! :) Love, love, love it!!!

Sam3

The sound of certain people chewing

The sound of any person chewing nuts, cornuts, granola or ice. Especially ice.

General obliviousness of others or entitlement

When people get into their parked cars but take care of all their phone business before they leave their space

Able-bodied people who stroll through the crosswalk when cars have to use the same light to turn, because, you know, they can

Able-bodied drivers impatiently jamming up old people laboring to get across the crosswalk

Drivers who won’t give any space to someone with indicators on trying to make a responsible lane change

Drivers who bypass an entire line of waiting cars and act like they just realized they need to change lanes into the line, at the front.

People who let them

The boarding area before people’s priority groups are called

People who bring carry on bags stuffed to the point of being check ons

People who spread their coats and purses out in the overhead as if they were carryons.

The growing numbers of people bringing their dogs into stores.

Loud parenting — when you know the boy sitting two tables away has karate practice at 4 and likes his carrots raw. (The kid was the only one with an indoor voice).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The growing numbers of people bringing their dogs into stores.

Loud parenting — when you know the boy sitting two tables away has karate practice at 4 and likes his carrots raw. (The kid was the only one with an indoor voice).

I'm snickering right now... For a couple reasons. One, Bill has a service dog... And we've heard all kinds of nasty comments such as "that dog STINKS" (he really doesn't, trust me I have NO tolerance for smelly dogs) or "I am ALLERGIC! Get that THING away from me!" ...from inside a pet store. But I tell you what, the number of people dragging around dogs in vests that clearly are NOT trained make me see red.

As for the loud parenting - this is Bill's ENTIRE FAMILY. OMG. He's the kid with the indoor voice when it comes to them.

ahhjeez

Oooh I love this.

Humblebragging. Drives me nuts, particularly on Facebook.
People who say sale instead of sell. I'm an internet retailer and on many of my message boards people will say that they are saleing a particular item.
Rudeness. I cannot abide it.
People who choose their spouse/partner over their children. I.e. a partner is abusing the child and the other parent chooses to ignore/lie/defend said partner over the welfare of their child.
People who say "I'm so Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)" when they mean they are just tidy or like things in a certain place.
People who use the word autistic as a derogatory term.
Homophobia.
Hypocrites. Especially religious ones.
People who don't say thank you when you hold the door open for them.
People who are rude to customer service/waitstaff/service industry folks.
People who push their shopping carts down the wrong lane in the store or stop in the middle and block both sides.
People that flaunt their money.
Willful ignorance.
People who mispronounce ask.
Girls that add an "sh" sound to words where it doesn't belong like strong. They will say "shstrong" and it drives me nuts.

I could go on and on and on. LOL.

ahhjeez

I forgot people chewing. Oh I can't stand that. LOL.
I've got to add about the religious people coming to doors. I have a Jehovah's witness that has been coming to my door for years. She's told all the others at her church that my house is hers so I don't get any other visitors from there. When she first showed up I said sure come on in and we can talk about my religion too. She said ok and it's been literally 15 years. She sent me flowers when my dad died, brings her little ones over when she comes. She only stays for about 5 minutes and we usually hardly talk about her pamphlets until she remember at the end of our conversations that usually center around her or my kid or what's going on in our lives. LOL. I won't open the door for anyone else. :) I've adopted her as my official Jehovah's witness.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
People chewing don't particularly bother me.

My pet peeve, and this is a matter of courtesy, not just a matter of my being hard of hearing, is people who don't look at you while speaking to you.

Like a lot of people who don't hear well, I sub-consciously lip-read to a degree. When you look away from me while talking to me, I'm going to start missing words and phrases.

Another one, and this is coming from an animal lover. I don't appreciate being jumped all over by your dog, no matter how friendly they are.

My dogs, no matter the size, were trained as pups not to jump/climb all over people. It's not difficult to do. If you can't handle it; find a trainer. It it's your first dog, find a trainer anyway.

Icy roads. I am trying to maintain enough of a following distance that I can safely stop if the car in front of me stops/loses it. That space is a safe following distance, NOT a space for you to skid your car into thinking you are getting over on me.

This is a shout-out to all the truck drivers out there: Give these guys and gals some ROOM. They can't see you if you are right behind them, and if you are in certain areas alongside them. Also, you've got 80K lbs out there, what on earth makes you think that big rig can stop in the same distance your car can?!?

Physics, people, physics! When you cut off a tractor-trailer on a slick road, and the driver has to hit the brakes, they risk jackknifing at best, possibly causing a mass pile-up, and at worst, rolling the rig, injuring the driver, AND causing a mass pile-up.

Slow down!

Sam3

Or British actors so famous we cant suspend disbelief when they are playing Americans

Just from the Harry Potter series, Harry, Hermione and Lucius Malfoy come to mind. All sound like they have marbles in their mouths when delivering American