Getting healthy: Ties in with Lil's weight loss thread.

FlowerGarden

Jabberwockey and Lil
I am so glad I read this post. The 2 of you sound like you are in the same situation that my husband and I are in. Wake up, go to work, come home, eat, go to bed. Our house is in a state of confusion. Our weight goes up (although I somehow did lose 4 lbs last year!).
For your dogs, a relative of mine trained her dog to use a wee wee pad put inside a litter box. She gates her in the kitchen for the day.
Thanks for this thread, it made me smile and feel better knowing others are going through the same thing and trying to balance working, housekeeping, exercising and eating well!

Lil

We took them with us yesterday when we went to look at some real estate. We'd left them home Saturday and felt so bad about that, so we decided since we were only seeing one property, we'd take them the next day. It was 60+ degrees in Missouri this weekend! :sunny: (Now it's back to freezing. :( ) We're looking for hunting acreage, so got a bit of hiking up and down hills...just us...the dogs stayed in the car. LOL

They were kind of confused, not being kenneled all day and spending 3 hours in a car.

At least we got our exercise this weekend tromping around in the woods both Saturday and Sunday. Of course, we didn't eat so well being on the run all weekend.

Jabberwockey

Hehehe! It was funny last night. Lil was putting lunches together before bed and Mac was staring at her as usual. He went in just a few seconds from being wide eyed to almost asleep on his feet.

BusynMember

I take medication that makes you so hungry that I once read that you can't lose weight if you are on it. I WAS working out and have "thin" genes. That doesn't mean I can eat whatever I want and abuse my body by smoking (cough, cough) and eating too much, but I didn't gain weight quickly and food was not that important to me...until the medication. And it REALLY helped me so stopping it was and is not an option.

I lost t he weight I'd gained and am working hard to keep it off. I have a job where I'm on my feet and running literally the entire day. I work out on days off. Yes, it's boring, but I have my headset and music and running can be very invigorating. I had to work up to it. I was not in shape. I remember a few years where my thighs would rub together and tear the inside of my pants. I could barely cross my legs. I hated how I felt so I can be very stubborn and I decided that no matter what anyone said about not being able to lose weight on Paroxatene, I would...and did.

I have studied (what else..lol) all about nutrition. Smaller, but more frequent healthy meals are better for you than sitting down to a huge meal. Americans eat more than anyone in the world and we look it. And are not as healthy as our European counterparts. We drive more too, on days when we can ride our bikes or walk. I am now in the habit of doing the latter two when it's warmer in Wisconsin and possible and I do exercise inside my house when it's cold.

I do use artificial sweetners instead of sugar as sugar has never done anything good to anybody and I have to hear of cancer being caused by them with any consistency. I also read, and believe, that the sugar industry is behind some of the studies. At any rate, I'm 61 and went to the doctor today. All my vitals and bloodwork and an EKG were good. I have elective surgery coming up and all the doctors keep telling me I'm in such good shape that it should not be a big problem. Seriously, before I started Weight Watchers, I first started asking and listening to folks who were of normal weight and in good condition to hear what they do to maintain it. I was never unable to exercise and always did, but I was very obese for several years.

Guys, no matter what you do to get healthy, seriously, if you smoke forget it. If it were me, I'd try to quit smoking before trying anything else. Smoking will do more bad stuff for you than anything. It also makes you tire easily and winds you...my husband has a very physical job and was always very thin, but when he smoked, it didn't matter. He coughed and got respiratory illnesses constantly whereas they tend to pass me by. To me, I think the medical community is clear that nothing can harm you more than smoking. As for causing cancer....yikes!

I hope you guys get the healthy thing going :) You really feel great once you do!!!! You'll be able to do things you thought were in the past :) Good luck!

Jabberwockey

Guys, no matter what you do to get healthy, seriously, if you smoke forget it. If it were me, I'd try to quit smoking before trying anything else.

So far so good on this front. Since mid November between the two of us we haven't smoked a full pack of cigarettes. Realistically, about 6 a piece is all and we haven't had one for around three weeks. Four of those were after the son's implosion that led to the apartment issue.

Smaller, but more frequent healthy meals are better for you than sitting down to a huge meal. Americans eat more than anyone in the world and we look it.
\

I might argue that the Italians eat more than us, might, but its not just portions. I would say they eat more than us but eat healthier and lead much more active lives. Even those you see that are over weight tend to be in reasonable shape. I would love to be able to walk to the store when its just for a loaf of bread or something like that but the nearest grocery store to us is around two and a half miles away and we live in town. I've taken to walking laps at work during lunch. Walked a mile and a half yesterday in just under a half an hour. That along with my fitness pall to check how much I actually eat and drinking LOTS more water than I usually do seems to be helping.

I've considered the, for lack of a better way to put it, diabetic meal approach you talked about where you have five or six meals a day but its just not practical. If nothing else, work is going to get twitchy about me trying to take two or three lunch breaks! If I had the diagnosis to back it up they wouldn't say anything, but to KEEP from getting the diagnosis they are much less sympathetic. Honestly, sticking with portion control, eating more reasonably healthy foods, getting more exercise, and getting more sleep will do the trick.

BusynMember

The meals should be small and not take long to eat. Come on, Jabber, you get breaks on top of lunch. Actually, in between meals we are encouraged to eat healthy snacks, such as an apple and maybe five or ten almonds then I may have grapes, which are delicious and very healthy for another snack. I never spend too much time eating a meal. I also love Greek Yogurt, fat-free. I am a real freak about saturated fat. I eat almost nothing with saturated fat in it and my blood tests and heart test came back great. Fat is da enemy. It's "Da Man" that keeps us unhealthy.

Italians must have a better overall lifestyle than us because the only country that comes close to our very high level of obesity is Australia. I have heard that if you go abroad, and I have not, meals in restaurants are less than half of what we expect in American restaurants. Euros are also more fitness conscious, which is a good thing in my opinion. They work too, but they are much more fit than us and our life expediency for a developed country is not really that high.

The most obese state in the nation is Mississippi with an obesity rate of 50%. That's insane. Not that Wisconsinites are trim and fit. When I moved up here from Illinois, I was at my biggest and I felt right at home because so many people were my size...lol. All that beer???

Jabberwockey

You have to remember where I work, in a prison. During times outside of lunch, I can get people coming in anytime with questions and concerns. Its easier to walk away from the office for a break than to take one at my desk outside of the scheduled lunch time.

I actually heard that, I think it was Germany, had American as their largest pizza size. Something to take into consideration is that most places in Europe are walking distance. The market is just down the block, work is three blocks away, etc... If I worked three blocks away I'd walk too!

BusynMember

But...the fact is, they are in better physical shape than Americans. I don't know exactly why. Suzir? LucyJ? Check in and explain? I'm sure they don't eat as much as us but maybe they can give us some tips on how their people stay healthier than us. I'm guessing the mindset is different. That matters. I had to get a new mindset after I didn't just lose weight at the drop of a hate and had to work at it. If I had not changed my attitude, I'd still be way overweight. It is something I have to be aware of and careful about.

I want to dance at my granddaughter's wedding :)

nlj

But...the fact is, they are in better physical shape than Americans. I don't know exactly why. Suzir? LucyJ? Check in and explain?
I think portion sizes is a big part of it.
Whenever I have visited the US I'm always gobsmacked at the sheer SIZE of the portions. Cheese is another thing - I seemed to be asked all the time "do you want cheese with that?". Eh?
Other than that I have no explanation sorry, and in Wales we have our own obesity crisis anyway, especially in the poorer, more deprived towns.

Lil

especially in the poorer, more deprived towns.

Cheap food is fattening food as a general rule. The cheapest thing in the produce department is potatoes. Cheapest thing in the meat department is hamburger. White breads, sugary cereals...all inexpensive.

Nomad

Staff member
I've been to Italy twice and I'm of Italian decent. Most of my Italian relatives here, were heavy and the ones there, were not. When we visited, I didn't see a lot of heavy people. And people walked everywhere. It isn't as convenient for folks in the US, but then again, we don't tend to think about doing it either. In Florence, I recall the hotel staff was impressed that we never got a taxi, we walked everywhere. Sometimes we found ourselves among throngs of people. And we did go to one restaurant off the beaten path with locals. They served something like a six course meal (can't exactly recall) , but the portions were small, some very small. And we walked there and walked back. Believe it or not, I have heard that technically people of certain decent might have slightly more fat cells and Italians are one of them. ????? I suppose if you walked many, many miles each and every day, you can afford to have more cheat days...a little vino here and a little gelato there. Actually, I think that is how many in Italy eat. Moderately, lots of healthy foods, a few treats and tons of walking.
A relative of ours in her late 80s (not Italian) walks THREE miles daily and actually, this is exactly how she eats...small portions of very healthy foods with occasional treats (usually a little ice cream). She is slender and doing very well.

Lil

Mmmm Italy. There's always room for gelato! When Jabber went in 2010 (Rome for just over 2 weeks and 3 days on the Amalfi coast) we walked and walked and walked. We did not skimp on the food and still didn't gain an ounce. I discovered they sell the best blister pads in the world. I couldn't get over the Italian ladies tottering over the cobblestones in their stiletto heels. Even the fattest natives we saw were not what we'd consider terribly obese. It's a fantastic country. I would live there if I could.

nlj

Yes, my mother is Spanish, 83, and still as slim as she was when she was 19.
Maybe it's the mediterranean constitution rather than the diet, as she's lived in the UK since she was a teenager. We always ate what was seen as 'continental' food when I was growing up though, even though that was a bit outlandish in the 60s and 70s. Paella, rice, pasta, seafood, these things weren't common then as they are now. UK food consisted of meat and 2 veg or chips mainly then. I was 100lb before my first child was born and I remember being horrified that I'd gone up to 102lb at my post-natal checkup. Haha. I don't think I've inherited many of my mother's genes unfortunately :( as I'm not 102lb any more!