He called a few minutes ago

LauraH

I figured I would hear from him sooner or later, just thought it wouldn't be this soon. Anyway as I suspected, his sudden switch from calling multiple times a day to not calling at all for days was because he was relapsing. I'm not sure if it was meth, heroin, or something else. He was in tears, calling from the ER because he had taken a bunch of his Xanax (he said it was to raise the level of narcotics in his system so he could get into detox. Whether that's true or not is anybody's guess). The plan is that once he gets out of the ER he'll go into detox and then into rehab. In the meantime he says he's taken a leave of absence from his job...which he says gives him job security when he gets out of rehab, but he's only been at this job a couple of months so I'm skeptical. And when he told me he had been relapsing, I simply said "I know." Because I did know, in my gut. I don't know what, if any, kind of impact this will have on his relationship with his partner. I wish I could reach out to him but my son never got around to giving me his phone number or email address, and both of them have deactivated their Facebook accounts because the toxic ex has been stalking him, both on Facebook and in the real world, so I can't reach out to him that way either.

I'm proud of him in a perverse kind of way. Unlike the first time he was in Chicago, the time he spent using was much greater than the time he spent in rehab or detox, and then when he got out of rehab he would start using again right away. He's had several relapses over the last couple of years but they have been relatively short in duration followed by a longer period of recovery. He typically stays clean for maybe six months and then relapses for anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. I guess that's progress of a sort. I have no idea if he's still been going to meetings and interacting with his sponsor or not. My instinct tells me he's not, because he hasn't mentioned attending meetings in a while and he usually says something about it when he is actively going. But my instincts aren't always correct, so I can't take that to the bank.

I knew that if he had relapsed he would tell me about it at some point, even if he had denied it initially. He knows that I almost always "know" when he is relapsing, so I'm not clear why he denies, denies, denies, and then finally admits to it. He should know by now that when he finally does admit he's relapsed, I don't pass judgment on him; actually just the opposite. About a year ago he had relapsed and when he finally told me, I told him I was proud of him. He couldn't understand why I was proud of him for relapsing. I said it wasn't the relapse that made me proud, obviously, but the fact that it didn't take long for him to do what he had to do to get back on the path to recovery.

We didn't talk long because his partner called him and he hung up with me to take that call. I feel certain he will call me tomorrow and that he will keep me posted on his next steps. At least it was good to hear his voice and know that he's okay or headed in that direction.

LauraH

Update: He called again and we talked for a few minutes while he was en route to detox. I texted him after the last call asking...again...for the partner's number, and he finally complied. The strange thing about that is that he texted one number, said oh no, that's not it, and texted another completely different one. When I asked him what the first number was he said "I was trying to type it by memory and I got it wrong." In my experience when you misremember a phone number, there's some resemblance to the wrong number and the correct one. But these two numbers were nothing alike, even had different area codes. But whatever, that is probably of no significance. Maybe the first number was an old number or someone else's (which I don't need to know who). He did say that if the paperwork for the leave of absence doesn't get submitted and approved by midnight Central time he would be out of a job, and it's looking like that's the case, as it was just a few minutes before midnight when he called the second time. Sad story of his life that he can't keep a job for more than a few months...but it is what it is and he'll either find another job or get on assistance until he does. And at least he has a roof over his head with the partner as far as I know.
I love his partner without ever having met him. When he was being stalked by the ex, the partner stayed by his side the whole time. It was fairly early in the relationship and many would have said "I can't deal with this crap" and cut bait. I am so grateful to him for standing by my son and am praying that he will continue to stand by him through this as well.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Wow. Amazed at your strength with this situation and your acceptance that you cannot change what your son is doing.

That is so hard for us to accept; at least it was for me.

That time in my life is now in my rearview mirror and when I even take a glimpse of it, it is very painful for me. Trying to remember how I coped. I know that it was my faith and my husband that got me through it - and this site. The people on this site guided me through my storm!

I know that it is a comfort knowing your son has someone there that cares for him. I remember when my son was in Florida (doing the Florida shuffle) while we were living in Chicago, he had a girl and she helped him, yet enabled him. He overdosed on her mother's morphine at one time and his lips were blue and she got him to the hospital. I often wondered why God kept saving his life. He only wanted to be with us, his "family" but I did not want him near me if he was using drugs. I just couldn't keep doing it over and over anymore and maybe that is what saved his life in the end.

Never give up hope because things can change on a dime. It's great to hear that he has such long period of being sober. That means he can do this!!

đź’ť