I need some strength from my CD family

Kathy813

Staff member
RE, I was going to post that I don't feel relieved because I didn't think it would last. Sure enough, husband's phone has been ringing all day. He is out working in the yard so he left it inside. So, with a sinking feeling, I checked his texts and sure enough difficult child is in another crisis. She is saying that the person in charge of the IOP just found out that her insurance company is not going to cover the program and so difficult child has to come up with rent today or she is getting kicked out.

One thing that I thought was really strange was that she said "we are getting kicked out." How in the world would another person be affected by whether difficult child's insurance is covering her or not?

As always, I am sure there is more to this story than we are hearing. She probably got caught doing something. My therapist always reminds me that we are only hearing what difficult child wants us to know.

Here we go again.

~Kathy

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh boy. Yeah, it does sound 'fishy.' I'm sorry. I know the roller coaster ride well. You and husband have been doing really well in staying off the ride. I hope it all smoothes out soon. Sigh.

Kathy813

Staff member
husband just talked to her. The rent is a little over $200 a week and she has a little less than that left from Friday's paycheck. husband suggested offering what she had and saying that she would pay the rest from next Friday's paycheck. difficult child said that won't leave her with any money to get her car fixed and husband told her that she had to do what she needed to do to keep a roof over her head.

Why she even called us if she could pay the rent herself is beyond me. She still doesn't seem to believe that we are not rescuing her anymore.

~Kathy

toughlovin

Kathy I am impressed with how strong you are being on this ride. You certainly have both feet solidly on the ground even as the toller coaster is swirling around you!

TL

okie girl

Kathy....I am so sorry and feel your desperation and pain. I have learned that I can not believe anything my difficult child tells me. He is still in jail and I have blocked him from my phone also. I have had more peace since he has been in jail. Sometimes we have to take care of us. I think you have done the right thing asking for proof from her doctor. Hugs and prayers

Calamity Jane

Kathy, she sure is persistent, I'll give her that! She will throw all kinds of stuff against the wall to see if anything sticks. Bless your heart, you're holding strong!

Her persistence got her the job and found her the place, so at least there's that. I'm so impressed with you and husband - you've been so steadfast. Good for you.

Nancy

Ugh. It's impossible to know what the real story is. I've been thinking about you and hoping things were going well. What are your thanksgiving plans?

Kathy813

Staff member
I need to keep reminding myself how resourceful difficult child can be. She managed to negotiate a lower rent for this week so she could pay the rent and her phone bill.

Nancy, husband and I are going to have a peaceful Thanksgiving by ourselves. easy child asked if we would be upset if she went with friends to Hilton Head for Thanksgiving. Since we have never had big family Thanksgivings, we told her that was fine. So we are keeping Ralphie (her kitten) for her.

I decided husband and I needed to do something fun for ourselves so I bought tickets to go see the musical Dirty Dancing at the historic Fox theater on Thanksgiving night.

We also have a fun trip to New Orleans planned the weekend before Christmas. easy child is going with us. I am excited because she has decided to go back to grad school full time next year and is looking at programs that are far away. This will be a great chance for us to spend some fun time together.

~Kathy

Nancy

That sounds like a wonderful plan. I think it is so wise to plan a nice relaxing evening for just the two of you. New Orleans will be fun. easy child went there this summer for a kindergarten conference and enjoyed it, although she is not much of a partier so her visit to Bourbon St was short.

We are having a sad Thanksgiving. We have to put our shih-tzu down the next day. The vet is coming to the house for us. On top of her heat failure and kidney disease she developed a melting corneal ulcer. We've been treating it with antibiotics and blood serum for months and it was responding and growing blood vessels but about ten days ago it burst. And then today it burst again and there was blood everywhere. easy child's birthday is today and she wanted to say goodbye on Thanksgiving so we delayed it. It will be hard for us all.

I'm glad difficult child was able to figure out her own solution to the rent.

nlj

So sorry to hear about your dog Nancy. I had to have my much-loved elderly cat put to sleep last week. He was 19 and had multiple health problems and a poor quality of life. It's the last caring thing we can do for them. I held him in my arms and the vet was very gentle and he slipped away. He had never known any unkindness or fear all his life, but it was still sad and I cried my heart out. Our pets don't have fear of death, but they do have pain, and we know when the time has come. Thinking of you. x

Kathy813

Staff member
Oh, Nancy, I am so sorry to hear that. I know that you have been facing this decision for a while now. I think it will be comforting to be able to say goodbye in your own home.

Dear Friend
I know you are nervous as you pace up and down.
Although I can't see it, I sense that you frown.
You're sad today and yes, I know why;
The decision you've reached has made you cry.

Weep not for me nor for what you must do.
What a wonderful life I've had here with you.
Where could a stray with no place to go
Be accepted so easily by those she didn't know.

I've had freedom to run and good food to eat;
Children to play with and a warm place to sleep.
But the kids are now grown, they've all moved away;
And I've gotten old and can no longer play.

I don't see anymore nor hear very much;
Sleep most of the time, respond slightly to touch.
Yes, my dear friend, I have given my all;
For nineteen years I've lived life to it's full.

I'm ready to go. Now is the time.
Let's go to the Vet, don't change your mind.
You'll stay with me till I go to sleep,
And then bowing your head you'll softly weep.

Maybe not right away, but in time to come,
You'll understand you were my dearest friend