My new kindergarten grandson

Meemaof13

I need Advice and where to turn to. My five-year-old grandson started kindergarten this week. Some would think it would be a wonderful experience however it is been just the opposite. He did not do well the first day of Kindergarten. According to the teachers notes would not stand in line or sit in his chair. But the second day he did well the first half of the day of Kindrgarten, however in PE he kicked a boy that got him kicked out of school and my daughter had to pick him up from school. He was able to come back another day however, they said that he hit and ran out of the classroom. So once again my daughter had to pick him up from school. Now my daughter had spoken to the teacher and the principal and they were supposed to work with the plan for him however removing the child from school is not the plan. My grandson has never been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD. We have asked for help from the pediatrician in fact my daughter was fully prepared with the paper for the school to get help for my grandson we were told that we had to wait until he started school is only five years old. Now we’ve been told no one can help him with his behavioral disorder not although has not been diagnosed with until he is the age of six to be diagnosed him to get help. We are at a loss. We do not want his first experience for kindergarten to be disaster. She is doing everything in her power but removing him from school is not the answer. He needs to school. I will listen to the advice please help we are in Phoenix Arizona.

You should not have to wait. Insist with your pediatrician you want him tested and they should help you get appointment. School can also provide you with resources. They have many students with behavior issues. I would insist on meeting and behavior plan put into place. Tell them you want to support them helping educate your grandson. Start documenting and send notebook back and forth for educators to comment in. The school should have ALL paperwork in place and it is a matter of implementing. You could also call your Area Education Agency assigned to your school district. They are there to help your child be successful in school and support the teacher with resources. They can also observe your child and write recommendations. Its only the first week. With consistency, structure and cues, your grandson will improve every day/week with or without medication.

Meemaof13

You should not have to wait. Insist with your pediatrician you want him tested and they should help you get appointment. School can also provide you with resources. They have many students with behavior issues. I would insist on meeting and behavior plan put into place. Tell them you want to support them helping educate your grandson. Start documenting and send notebook back and forth for educators to comment in. The school should have ALL paperwork in place and it is a matter of implementing. You could also call your Area Education Agency assigned to your school district. They are there to help your child be successful in school and support the teacher with resources. They can also observe your child and write recommendations. Its only the first week. With consistency, structure and cues, your grandson will improve every day/week with or without medication.

Meemaof13

Thank you so much for the advice. I just want to be there for my daughter and my grandson. I have never experienced this nor my daughter. Her oldest son is the exact opposite. He is actually shy and does not get in trouble.
Again, thank you for advice.

Copabanana

Special Education law provides help for children before they enter kindergarten. You are being deceived.

I will tell you my experience which is based upon being a parent as well as a psychologist working in schools, who participated in IEP teams.

My son got an IEP in Kindergarten.

Schools try to discourage parents from security protection and intervention for their child, trying to minimize expenses. They do this to the extent that they break the law.

There are parent advocates (free, in your community) who will advise and support you and go with you to the IEP team meeting. There are also free legal aid societies that specialize in special education law and disability rights. We did this.

You may have to take your grandson to a pediatrician, to get a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD or to a regional Children's Hospital Child Development Center to get a neuropsychological exam in order to force the school to provide services and protections. If you are referred by the child's pediatrician, insurance should pay.

If he does not have an IEP (Special Education) the school can say it is purely behavior and they can discriminate against him. With the IEP it is very, very hard to do this. They will have provide services up to including non-public schools for free (including transportation). This is why they deceive and conceal and fight.

You don't have to get aggressive. You just have to know your rights. If the MD diagnoses ADHD you don't have to give the medication. I gave my son the Ritalin and I regret it. I listened to the school. At that point I respected their expertise. I don't anymore.

My son's experience (and my own) was just as you describe. My son behaved beautifully at home. He got very anxious at school. And over-stimulated. Once when he was about 3 I took him to a camp. He was running with the kids and excited and he bit another child. I was mortified. This never happened again.

From what you write these do not appear to be serious problems. They seem minor. But the school does not want to deal with ANY problems. They want quiet, controlled and timid children. The rest they try to label as "problems."

I am exaggerating to make a point. It may not be this bad, but it's bad enough. My son is 25 years out of kindergarten. So, maybe, it is miraculously better. I doubt it.

Last edited: