Need clarity on this situation; stealing and lying and rehab

Origami

My daughter-in-law relayed the message to son about the money that was stolen from his brother's credit card. She said he admitted to taking the cash advances and also admitted to taking his other brother's guitar! He told her which pawn shop he took it to, but we haven't had a chance to go there yet to see if it might still be there (doubtful). She said he was very upset on the phone and said he's trying to stop lying about things. The treatment center is based on 12-steps, so I think he might actually be going with their program, although he told me he's not a big believer in a higher power. Anyway, I was surprised that he even admitted anything, since he's famous for sticking to his lies no matter how ridiculous they are.

He said he wants to pay his brothers back, but of course he has no job at the moment. His wife said she will pay them back out of hers and son's income tax refund. I'm more hopeful than I was before, but I know not to be too premature with the rose-colored glasses (I think mine are broken, anyway).