Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

AppleCori

One thing about washing floors by-hand, on one hands-and-knees, I find I get cleaner floors, because you can scrub baseboards and get right into all the corners with a cloth.

I did scrub the floors when I first moved in to hubby’s house, because the linoleum was pretty disgusting. We got new floors put in, though, and I rarely get down on hands and knees to clean them. I do dust along the baseboards occasionally, though.

Pink Elephant

I did scrub the floors when I first moved in to hubby’s house, because the linoleum was pretty disgusting. We got new floors put in, though, and I rarely get down on hands and knees to clean them. I do dust along the baseboards occasionally, though.
Base-board cleaning is a pet-peeve of mine, even though I love cleanliness. I do ours a few times a year, bathroom base-boards get washed-down weekly.

Lil

Just thought of a fun one to add...

Have you ever used a drop-side baby crib before?

There wasn't any other kind until a few years ago, was there? My boy was such a climber he had started climbing out of his crib before he could walk. I finally just left the side down so he didn't fall so far because he was going right over the top, then BAM down to the floor and crawling away!

I've used a washboard, but only as a lark to see what it was like.

We used pull-ups, but didn't really need them. I waited until he was 3 and he was so easy to train! We pretty much moved right to undies.

Baseboards get cleaned? Really? Not in my house. :redface:
I'm a sucky housekeeper.

Pink Elephant

There wasn't any other kind until a few years ago, was there? My boy was such a climber he had started climbing out of his crib before he could walk. I finally just left the side down so he didn't fall so far because he was going right over the top, then BAM down to the floor and crawling away!

I've used a washboard, but only as a lark to see what it was like.

We used pull-ups, but didn't really need them. I waited until he was 3 and he was so easy to train! We pretty much moved right to undies.

Baseboards get cleaned? Really? Not in my house. :redface:
I'm a sucky housekeeper.
You're right Lil, there wasn't. Drop-sides are all that I remember. My baby sibs had the drop-side version. In fact mom had two cribs on the go for a time, both white, and both drop-side.

Gosh yes, crib-climbers! I had one, too! I took to laying an old crib mattress down directly under the railing as a safety precaution. Little ones are like rubber anyhow, they just bounce. I credit my sons thickly-padded bottom keeping him the most safe! A definite plus-side of using old-fashioned cloth diapers! LOL!

Yes, I used a glass-front washboard to wash laundry (once), just so that I could say that I did. Silly, huh? LOL!

Pink Elephant

I would have liked your homey neighborhood better :)
I sort of think it's rather hit and miss. If luck has it, you move to a neighbourhood where old-fashioned exists, or you move to a neighbourhood where families are dual income earners, and no one has time to hang laundry, garden. etc.

We were lucky in both our neighbourhoods.

Pink Elephant

diapers.jpg

These are really close to the pants I used on my kids... thermal waffle-knit soakers. Two pairs at a time (doubled) when added absorbency was needed.

Nice part about the trainers, my kids could pull their own pants down and up when they had to go, unlike when they were wearing cloth diapers with pins.

BusynMember

I didn't know they were called that lol I just thought they were thick underwear. A lot of times when they were getting okay at pottying I let them run around nekkid too...lol.

Pull ups had not yet been invented when my youngest kids were little. I never used them. They went from diapers to underwear. I was very tolerant to accidents

AppleCori

Oh, yeah, I used those training pants. I had actually forgotten.

I used pull-ups, too, but I can’t say when I used one or the other.

Most people used the training pants for at home, and pull-ups for outings and overnights. That’s probably what I did, though I can’t really say if I ever used pull-ups during the day at home. I doubt it, because they are too much like diapers, and the kid wouldn’t notice the difference when they wet them.

Pink Elephant

Oh, yeah, I used those training pants. I had actually forgotten.

I used pull-ups, too, but I can’t say when I used one or the other.

Most people used the training pants for at home, and pull-ups for outings and overnights. That’s probably what I did, though I can’t really say if I ever used pull-ups during the day at home. I doubt it, because they are too much like diapers, and the kid wouldn’t notice the difference when they wet them.
Ah-ha! So you were old-fashioned to a point. LOL!

SOT and Apple... just plain cloth soakers in your homes? No rubber pants over top?

When I used them I always used rubber pants with them to keep the wet in.

Apple. You're right about a kid feeling the wetness when wearing cloth soakers.

Triedntrue

My grandmother insisted I learn to milk a cow by hand.

I used pull ups

I did hang clothes on the line on occasion not anymore though

I still do kitchen and bathroom floors on my hands and knees some of the time.

I still make apple pie from scratch

my husband has a huge scar on his arm because he hid in a wringer washer and got his hand caught in the wringer part.

I never canned stuff but all my aunts did and I watched.

AppleCori

Ah-ha! So you were old-fashioned to a point. LOL!

SOT and Apple... just plain cloth soakers in your homes? No rubber pants over top?

When I used them I always used rubber pants with them to keep the wet in.

Apple. You're right about a kid feeling the wetness when wearing cloth pants.

I don’t think training pants are old-fashioned, though. I wasn’t really thinking about them earlier, but seeing the pics when I came back here made me realize that I used them, and I think they ate pretty standard practice even now. Pull-ups are good for certain times, but I recall them being too diaper-like for training purposes.

I might have used rubber pants over them occasionally.

My kids were pretty much ready to potty train when I started them, so it didn’t take too long.

Pink Elephant

My grandmother insisted I learn to milk a cow by hand.

I used pull ups

I did hang clothes on the line on occasion not anymore though

I still do kitchen and bathroom floors on my hands and knees some of the time.

I still make apple pie from scratch

my husband has a huge scar on his arm because he hid in a wringer washer and got his hand caught in the wringer part.

I never canned stuff but all my aunts did and I watched.
So happy you dropped-by to post, Tired mama!

Boy oh boy... your homemade apple pie from scratch sounds so delicious!

Those old wringer washing machines were dangerous. I'll bet a lot of accidents happened with them.

BusynMember

by the way, this is from far back in the thread but I mop floors the regular way usually, but have been known to throw down a towel and wash soapy, sticky, frustrating floors with my feet. I thought I was the only one on earth who did this... lol! I call it The Towel Shuffle lol.

by the way, does anyone else do the housework in her underwear? I get hot so I tend to wear as few clothes as possible. My husband often does his share of the housework in his briefs (his chooice of underwear but we covered this important topic already).