Speaking of walking like a duck....

ScentofCedar

I do have a easy child now, hearthope.

When she was twenty-nine, our daughter was diagnosed with something I will never let myself remember the name of (something to do with adrenals and pituitary and thyroid function). Because her symptoms (which began in earnest when she hit puberty) had become so severe by that time, it was believed that she had an adrenal tumor and so, adrenal function was finally examined and an endocrinologist (instead of a multitude of psychiatrists or psychotherapists) was finally called in. Although initial treatments only made the situation more extreme, an experimental treatment was tried (Metformin {glucophage}, which is an oral anti-diabetic) and for our daughter, it worked. Within months, she was back as she had been before the syndrome progressed. She no longer takes the metformin, nor does she need it. She still has some hormonally mediated anxiety, but she is doing well. The weight melted away, the voice, skin, and personality changes resolved successfully.

So, although our daughter had been labeled with half the baloney in the DMII (or three, whichever version they are on these days), none of that was true.

Her illness was physiologically, not psychiatrically, based.

But no one knew that, then. So, from the time she turned twelve, it was our blond, blue-eyed, violin playing, ballet loving daughter we were coping with. She changed altogether seemingly overnight. Depression, black clothing, suicidal ideation ~ the works. She was diagnosed alcoholic. We were told it was one of the worst cases they had ever seen (she was fourteen when we first brought her in). They told us that without treatment she would die, and that there was really no difference between treatment centers.

So, for her first treatment center, we chose one in our city.

She failed, of course. Within a few years, that center had been closed. Later, we would see one of the counselor's names in the paper for dealing cocaine ~ all of which our daughter tried to tell us when she would call home begging to be let out.

Nothing worked, of course.

For anyone in that situation, I would recommend Hazelden ~ but I would also recommend that you be certain it is an addiction you are dealing with.

We would go through three courses of treatment with our daughter, one for nine months. Although she did graduate successfully from the nine month program, she would later tell us that the residents had all taken acid before the party to celebrate our daughter's release. (No, that wasn't Hazelden.)

And nope, we did not have a clue.

Part of whatever it is that our daughter (it's like an Addison's or a Cushing's disorder, but that is not what it is called) results in increased testosterone levels. Hair loss, voice changes, the strangest pattern of weight gain (similar to Cushing's), rage, mood swings, ammenorrhea and hypersexuality were symptoms ~ each of the physical symptoms were blamed on her supposed alcoholism.

And this daughter and her problems took up all of our time and attention.

And difficult child was younger.

And got lost.

And started using drugs.

And that's what happened.

So, you see, I was not a good mother. Because I did not know what I had done to my daughter (and did not find out it wasn't anything anyone had done until she was twenty-nine and a correct diagnosis was finally made), I was afraid to parent my son.

I did not know what to do, and so, I did nothing.

That's not true.

It feels like it, because of the way everything has come out, but that is not true.

I did everything I knew to but it did not work.

Now, I look at the outcome and ~ I just can't believe this happened to us, sometimes.

But it did.

So yep, I have a easy child now.

Barbara

hearthope

Oh Barbara, if it was in the cards for him to be an addict, if you kept him with you 24 hrs a day, he still would be an addict.

Your son is choosing to use...
This has NOTHING to do with your parenting.

Addicts use every reason they can grasp to explain why they use.
The reasons will also change as time goes by and the people they hang around changes.

To blame someone else for the problems they face is the very being of a Gift From God.

You are picking yourself apart for something you had no control over.
You may have been engulfed by your now easy child and her problems, but I am sure what you were dealing with made you more aware of what was going on with your difficult child.
If you had not experienced it, who knows if you would have been able to cope with all that difficult child has thrown at you.

Barbara you are teetering on the line of what ifs, you are second guessing all your original thoughts.
I fully understand and I can't say that is what happens with all of us, but I know that I find myself on that line often.

I have to take a step back and call a duck a duck, so to speak.
I know as well as you do that my son is calling the shots in his life, regardless of how I raised him, he is choosing to live a different life. Your son is doing the same thing.

Barbara, surround yourself with positive things, talk to a therapist to get you over this :censored2:.

You have suffered enough at the hands of your son, it is time for you and husband now.

He has all the tools to make a change, nothing that you do at this time will make that happen.

Love Barbara now, you have done all you can do for him.

You have done the very best you could with what you were faced with, that is all any of us can do.

DammitJanet

Barbara....

I know you remember my story but I will tell you again...lol.

You say your son took drugs as a teen and that is why he is an addict. I say baloney. I took tons of drugs as a teen and I am not an addict. AND I AM BIPOLAR! I should be self medicating. I wasnt diagnosed for years which should have led me to self medicating and it didnt.

I used pot, alcohol, pills, and acid when I was a teen but then when I found out I was going to be a mom I grew up. I knew that was a thing of the past. My playtime was over and I had to be an adult now. Not only that but I realized that at 18 I could get busted and do big girl jail...I didnt like that idea much. I had a bit more self preservation than most of our difficult child's. I didnt become an addict because of my teen years. I was stupid...yes....but it didnt lead to a lifelong addiction.

His problems arent your fault. He could have partied when young and decided to grow up and get on with his life. Most do.

ScentofCedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dammit Janet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barbara....

You say your son took drugs as a teen and that is why he is an addict. I say baloney. I took tons of drugs as a teen and I am not an addict.

My playtime was over and I had to be an adult now.

I didnt become an addict because of my teen years. I was stupid...yes....but it didnt lead to a lifelong addiction.

His problems arent your fault. He could have partied when young and decided to grow up and get on with his life. Most do. </div></div>

Dammit, I told husband about your post. In my saner moments, I know you are right and that difficult child is coldly choosing to do what he is doing ~ both to himself and to us.

In a way I am excusing difficult child through identifying his behaviors as addiction.

One way or another, I am making this not his fault.

I am attributing even his most manipulative behaviors to the long term effects of drug use.

Hey, guys?

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many hours I spent searching the internet before I found research that would back that one up???

:hammer:

Thank you everyone, so much. I have had a little bit of a rough time since talking to difficult child, but I am better, now.

Barbara

KFld

I'm coming in on this a little late, but I'm glad to see you are able to laugh. Sounds like he's being a total manipulator, but you are seeing that and that is a good thing. Hopefully husband can see it too.

ScentofCedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You must get past the blame game, and place the blame on the person that doesnt give a darn about your feelings. That is where I had to go.

I hate the fact that I cannot believe a single word, that I have to question everything that comes out of his mouth, and it is so exhausting.

Our husband's love to have their "simple minds" sometimes, and stop analyzing everything, cause it truely isnt going to make a bit a difference.

</div></div>

I am rereading everyone's advice to me this morning.

Jen, thank you.

Barbara