Squatter final update

Nomad

Staff member
They are out! What a long , difficult day yesterday! But it went MUCH better than expected.

(Part of this I posted before on the other thread)

They got the 24 hour notice Monday. This seemed to cause the female to get higher than usual and crazier than usual. She was desperate searching fir another house and seem to be identifying men living alone and targeting them in one way or another. She was badly intoxicated.

Turns out she is mentally ill and a big time drug user. He is a drug user and a big time drug seller/dealer. Kinda the perfect couple in a gross sort of way.

We hired a locksmith. Sheriff deputy came. Pounded on doors. They (original couple was still in there) wouldn’t come out. Locksmith got in. The deputy had his hand on his gun the entire time. Female argued with deputy. He gave them about ten minutes to get their things and get out. They had a lot of things…two bicycles, clothing and whatnot.

There was a lot of activity yesterday with people going in and out. Very likely they were selling their drugs.

To everyone’s shock and I DO mean everyone’s…it was only moderately dirty. Only a few things were missing…perhaps 2-3. I found two items of drug parafanalia (sp?) . No cooking meth or anything like that.

The place was redecorated using items from one room and out into another. Our daughters clothes were removed and most were put in a trash bag outside. Some were hidden in a ball in a cabinet. All her personal items were shoved in boxes and bags into closets. One door was beat up a little and one bathroom cabinet too. There were two bikes on the porch. And they left a bike with parts missing that we had removed.

They had a LOT of stuff they removed, but fairly sure it was all or mostly theirs. They were given ten minutes. They had a lot of clothes , a coffee pot , bikes and we don’t know what else because they were in garbage bags and were rushing. 2-3 items of our daughters was missing including a lamp. I do nT know if it was part of what they took that moment in time.

A white vehicle pulled up twice to collect the stuff and noteworthy was it was only five minutes between trips . Where did they go to dump their first round of possessions so quickly? ? Sigh. Might they have already identified another mark?

We had a debris removal company come and remove the mattresses , a chair etc. Anything dirty , especially if it couldn’t be easily cleaned.

It was only moderately dirty overall. A moderate cigarette smell. No other smells. She seem to be “playing house.” She seem to be mentally unwell and at least a little high yesterday.

We boarded up the back and took other steps regarding security.

Much better than expected. Both the Sheriff Debuty and the locksmith who work together said this is case was a miracle. One in a million with so little damage. We think they were just sellers and she had a strong desire/need to set up “house” So…she protected the house.

The neighbors were as kind as could be to us expressing their disappointment in the squatters law and their sorrow for us.

A deep cleaning company is coming Soon . Repairs will need to be made. Painting. We very likely will put it up for sale.

My nerves are better.

I’m grateful for the support. And profoundly grateful that this turned out unusually well. Just grateful period. Thank you.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Good morning!

What an amazing ending to what could have been so much worse. Thankful this is over for you. Now your life can return to normal. I sure hope your daughter leaves you alone for a while.

:grouphugg:

Crayola13

It blows my mind that this situation went as far as it did. I’ve never heard of this situation happening anywhere. I’m happy for you and astonished that those two didn’t destroy the house.

One thing that concerns me is a law in our town which went into effect two years ago. Our mayor actually approved this. A homeless person is allowed to break into any car and sleep if the car is parked on city property and unoccupied at the time. When the owner of the car returns to drive it away, the homeless person has to get out. It doesn’t matter if the person owns the car or not. It doesn’t matter if the car is locked. They are only liable for any damage that occurs. To make sure I correctly understood this new law, I made some calls. The new law is the homeless person’s right. I don’t see how this can be.

Copabanana

The neighbors were as kind as could be to us expressing their disappointment in the squatters law and their sorrow for us.
This is truly amazing. After all they had to put up with, their fear and inconvenience, and all they felt was heart for you and your husband. What wonderful people. Nomad. I am so very happy this has turned out so much better than any of us expected it would. If you do put the condo on the market, I hope you make a bundle of money.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Well, I'm letting out a deep sigh of relief on this one. I rented to people who trashed my rental house, broke things I couldn't figure how they could even break, and these people paid rent. For example how does one snap off 3/4 of a back splash from a bathroom sink vanity that's one molded piece, all I could think was a hammer was used. Holes in walls and doors, broken locks, most of the fridge insides broken, broken light fixtures, all of the carpets ruined, washer and dryer destroyed, windows broken, etc., it goes on.

Before I saw the damage I knew they were very destructive and had huge fights as the neighbors reported to me they were worried about the loud donnybrook like fights between them with the male seeming like the aggressor and between the male and their "guests" heard from afar, and the way too frequent 5 minute visitors the neighbors figured out knew meant drug dealing. At the time I was living a couple of hours away. When the neighbors got together and called me about all of it I told them ~ any sign of trouble over there do not hesitate to call the police and told them I was going to make a call myself to let the police know I wanted them out and would do whatever I could to get them out. The police offered no help but told me they would "keep an eye on the place", so I was concerned my house may end up being seized as a drug house. The police in my area are not known for having common sense....

Lucky for me I had her mother's phone number, as a reference, from when the couple applied for the rental. I called her mother, who was not happy to hear from me and tried to put me off telling me the house was not up to her standards, actually had the gall to tell me the house was "filthy" when her daughter moved in. That was shocking for me to hear because I was the one who cleaned and cared for the house back then and knew there was no way the house could not have been cleaner so I returned her mother's bs with the neighbors concerns about the fights and drug dealing and let her know I had put the police on notice for all of it and I was going to move to evict. The young couple ended up moving shortly after a month from then before I was able to even try to move forward with eviction. I knew something was wrong there with the moms crazy comments to me but also knew the mother must have warned them to gtfo or they were going under. I didn't have experience with being a mom and didn't understand what enabling looked like but knew the mother was grasping at straws as an excuse for their behavior with her nutty "filthy" comment about the house. I sure hope that young couple or at least that young woman has grown up to take responsibility for herself, if only for her mother's sake. I was so happy to get them out of the house I didn't sue for the damages, guess the mom was stung for that in the past considering her reaction to my telling her about my plans and why to move for eviction. In the end I knew it was fruitless to go after them for the damages and was just happy to get them out without having my house seized and confiscated as a drug house.

In your case it's surprising they didn't trash the house, and really I am not thinking they were at all concerned about a civil suit down the road. I think you really dodged a bullet no matter how bad this was. It just goes to show how some people strive for somewhat of a normal life but still find a way to take advantage of lonely, needy people.

I'm so glad I sold that house I was saving to give to my son. The proceeds will be better spent to help him financially with a special needs trust managed by someone with his interests in mind.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you.
We got a better look today and interestingly almost ALL the doors are messed up. Some will have to be replaced. Some just fixed. One was kicked and smashed. Closet doors too. And one bathroom vanity cabinet. Smaished. Several doorknobs to cabinets missing. A few more items stolen …still nothing extreme. The toilet tank top broken and glued back together and a basket put on top to hide it. We heard from others this couple fought a lot. Tiday some of them didn’t seem quite as friendly. Some seemed relieved. A few were cheery. A more mixed reaction. One person I suspect thinks I’m naive and snd enabler based on some odd things he said in which I thought about later. I was a little naive I suppose. We have pulled back enormously from daughter. And we’ve made it abundantly clear we blame her for everything. She seems to have possibly gotten mentally sicker in the last six months. I don’t know what the heck happened. But, she needs to want help. I can’t do that for her and won’t.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Nomad, sorry to hear there's more damage than you originally thought but now you are on the downhill side of it.

Tiday some of them didn’t seem quite as friendly
Don't worry so much about that. My neighbors over at my rental house were not too happy after I got the people out of that house either. They let me know they didn't want a rental house in their neighborhood. They were relieved but also concerned about what was going to happen in the future, that situation bringing chaos into their lives as it were and I'm sure blamed me for renting to those people. In your case they know your daughter brought them in and are probably concerned you are going to bring your daughter back there and the cycle might start again. Time takes care of all of that. I actually mentioned that situation to one of the neighbors a few weeks ago, he had to think about it for a moment and then replied with something of the effect "Oh yeah, that was something, forgot about that".

I was a little naive I suppose.
I don't think so. Your daughter is an adult, you know she has her limitations but didn't know how her loneliness and efforts to fit in and help others was going to create this kind of situation. You just can't predict everything, that's life. So now you know, don't worry about the armchair quarterback who has nothing in the game but his opinion.

She seems to have possibly gotten mentally sicker in the last six months. I don’t know what the heck happened.
It could simply be from the trauma of having her place taken over by people she thought she was helping and having to get out instead of them removed. She see's a doctor and takes medication, right?

BusynMember1

Hi. Sorry to be late. I'm so happy this mess is over. Who cares about the neighbors? The neighbors were obviously unhappy with Kay both in the house we bought her and then at the mobile park. They glared at us too. She didn't care. We did. Looking back, why did I care? Guess I was upset that because Kay and Lee fought like wild animals sometimes outside that they thought it was my fault, since I am mom. Oh well.

Nomad, whatever is wrong with Kay gets better then it gets worse. She has never been.okay nor will she get help. There is nothing we can do about our adult kids. We did more than most parents would have. It has to be up to them now.

Glad this is over

Hugs and.prayers.

newstart

They are out! What a long , difficult day yesterday! But it went MUCH better than expected.

(Part of this I posted before on the other thread)

They got the 24 hour notice Monday. This seemed to cause the female to get higher than usual and crazier than usual. She was desperate searching fir another house and seem to be identifying men living alone and targeting them in one way or another. She was badly intoxicated.

Turns out she is mentally ill and a big time drug user. He is a drug user and a big time drug seller/dealer. Kinda the perfect couple in a gross sort of way.

We hired a locksmith. Sheriff deputy came. Pounded on doors. They (original couple was still in there) wouldn’t come out. Locksmith got in. The deputy had his hand on his gun the entire time. Female argued with deputy. He gave them about ten minutes to get their things and get out. They had a lot of things…two bicycles, clothing and whatnot.

There was a lot of activity yesterday with people going in and out. Very likely they were selling their drugs.

To everyone’s shock and I DO mean everyone’s…it was only moderately dirty. Only a few things were missing…perhaps 2-3. I found two items of drug parafanalia (sp?) . No cooking meth or anything like that.

The place was redecorated using items from one room and out into another. Our daughters clothes were removed and most were put in a trash bag outside. Some were hidden in a ball in a cabinet. All her personal items were shoved in boxes and bags into closets. One door was beat up a little and one bathroom cabinet too. There were two bikes on the porch. And they left a bike with parts missing that we had removed.

They had a LOT of stuff they removed, but fairly sure it was all or mostly theirs. They were given ten minutes. They had a lot of clothes , a coffee pot , bikes and we don’t know what else because they were in garbage bags and were rushing. 2-3 items of our daughters was missing including a lamp. I do nT know if it was part of what they took that moment in time.

A white vehicle pulled up twice to collect the stuff and noteworthy was it was only five minutes between trips . Where did they go to dump their first round of possessions so quickly? ? Sigh. Might they have already identified another mark?

We had a debris removal company come and remove the mattresses , a chair etc. Anything dirty , especially if it couldn’t be easily cleaned.

It was only moderately dirty overall. A moderate cigarette smell. No other smells. She seem to be “playing house.” She seem to be mentally unwell and at least a little high yesterday.

We boarded up the back and took other steps regarding security.

Much better than expected. Both the Sheriff Debuty and the locksmith who work together said this is case was a miracle. One in a million with so little damage. We think they were just sellers and she had a strong desire/need to set up “house” So…she protected the house.

A deep cleaning company is coming Soon . Repairs will need to be made. Painting. We very likely will put it up for sale.

My nerves are better.

I’m grateful for the support. And profoundly grateful that this turned out unusually well. Just grateful period. Thank you.
Grateful for your good news. Glad your nerves are better. Thank God this is behind you. Amen.

Nomad

Staff member
Unit sold.
Took a lot of work beforehand…cleaning, repairs, replacement.
Looked lovely.
Gave away some furniture.
I’m very grateful.