26 year old stepson stealing

Scent of Cedar *

Thanks, Huff. I hope your Christmas and New Years are good ones, too. We talk, here on the site, about the personal growth that occurs as we make it through our crisis times. Sometimes, remembering that this is true helps me stay with the feelings as I go through hard things. I am glad you are here with us.

You aren't alone with it anymore, Huff.

Cedar

helpangel

After reading everyone else's responses I believe I steered you wrong when said not to tell her; I usually go for the least confrontational easiest for me way of handling things instead of the morally right way. It was good that you told her so she won't be off guard dealing with her son.

I totally understand the not wanting to cause her pain also, I wouldn't want to see either of my X's hurting and even though we aren't together anymore it doesn't take away from the fact that I loved them enough to marry them in the first place... that love didn't die it just changed. My brother's first wife is his best friend and introduced him to his current wife.

I hope you have a blessed holiday and please don't ever feel alone - if look around this site you will discover that your new found family here is huge.

Nancy

Huff

Hello just got home from my brothers house youngest easy child an ex wife was there. I have not seen or heard from difficult child and I'm feeling a little blue. I think d'état hinge is going to be easier for gig than it is for me. difficult child not being present tomorrow is going to be so hard especially for his mother. Trying not to dwell on it just so many changes this year. I just had to get on and and type a few words it helps. Thanks to all

Echolette

Hello just got home from my brothers house youngest easy child an ex wife was there. I have not seen or heard from difficult child and I'm feeling a little blue. I think d'état hinge is going to be easier for gig than it is for me. difficult child not being present tomorrow is going to be so hard especially for his mother. Trying not to dwell on it just so many changes this year. I just had to get on and and type a few words it helps. Thanks to all
When I first started on the forum Cedar said something about grieving the life we thought we would have. I feel that that is what you are going through now...grieving for your lost hope. Because it doesn't sound like your old holidays were so great...Try to take a few breaths, maybe walk outside, feel the air, be alive. It is our one sweet life to live, and sorrow and loss are embroidered into it. Today, Christmas, is a new day. Who knows what will happen after, but today is sweet, bitter, vivid. Let it be those things, and blessings to you and to your family.

Echolette

When I look back it seems the worst always happened around big holidays & events for us too. But I don't think it was the kids that changed it was more my expectations changed, like if they cared about me as a person they could attempt to help clean for mother's day or something. They could quit fighting, turn off the psychosis, stop being frustrated just so I could have one day. I know the kids care about me but they don't just turn off who they are (or their issues) because of mother's day.

Also Nov. & Dec. holidays... the whole routine, budget requirements and everything else is off and my kids don't transition well. I got really angry tonight at the kids, yet now I'm sitting here laughing at myself for getting angry and telling myself "of course they did, that's what they do". I know they don't understand portion control, they love to eat & honey baked spiral cut ham is not an everyday food.

Anyway long story short I expected a 10Lb. ham to be more then 2 meals with only 4 eating on it; and I should have gotten myself some scallop potatoes before I let them "have at it". Helps me to understand why they all outweigh me by 40- 200+ Lbs and if I don't want to have to widen the doorways I better start controlling some portions around here.

I kind of got off the original topic here but my opinion is things don't get worse around big events, it's our expectations we hope for better then get disappointed. On that note I'm gonna change my attitude this year instead of driving myself crazy trying to have a perfect holiday gonna do the normal routine expecting a total flop...

Nancy
Nancy,
thank you for that. that is just plain smart. It is true about expectations...I blame my difficult child for not being able to manage himself for one day...duh!!!! if he could MANAGE himself he wouldn't be in the pickle that is his life! but yes, my, and by your posting, OUR expectations, which are also normal and predictable, get high...and the fall is that much harder. Thank you for this post, it gave me a rueful laugh.
Echo

Echolette

Thanks nancy maybe it's justthinking to much. It is hard after all these years of being blamed for everything to believe in myself. I know I made mistakes and I I will make more. I was never anything but good to difficult child. He did not always get what he wanted, and we had to live with the rage when that wS the case. I will admit that I did enable him as he got older got him out of credit card debt on several occasions. For me it should get better but I worry about my ex. She will have a hard time I feel in my gut that it's going to get worse for her. Just wish I knew of a way to help her. I trust The Lord will show me the way after all he brought me to this site. Thanks agai
Dude, sadly, your ex is out of your control now. You must worry about yourself now, take care of yourself now. That may lead to your having the pure strong center that makes you an asset to those around you...but your ex, and her relationship with your difficult child...that is out of your arena now. You must try to let it go, not use your valuble and limited emotional and mental resources. Try to turn your thoughts out of these old ruts and find new places. Let them take care of themselves, as we all must.

helpangel

I reward behavior I like and ignore the ones I don't - like in Ralph's case the X and the 2 PCs would have gotten nice gifts for Christmas would have even left a beautifully wrapped gift for difficult child (that when opened would reveal a copy of surveillance photo of him gassing up his friends truck with a note "you're not sitting in a jail cell - Merry Christmas!")

hope this gave you all a chuckle, I'm giggling while typing it ...
kids think I'm nuts (must be I would have split a long time ago if I wasn't)

Nancy

Huff

Hello everyone I was just checking in. And tell everyone I'm doing ok. I think about each of y'all and this site everyday.

helpangel

Thanks for checking in Ralph been thinking about you too. I've been offline for a couple days - silly computer won't work without electric and stupid tree branch wiped mine out for a couple days - figures during record breaking temperatures UGH.

Powers back on now guess I should freeze this ton of soup I made - furnace doesn't work without electric so had pots with bones boiling on stove for heat making soup stock at same time.

The cold and candles were kind of a pain but it was nice to see my kids playing board games and reading books for a change.

Nancy

Huff

Hello sorry I've been away been a busy week. I got a call from my future ex wife. difficult child quit school and moved out of his place think he is with her. He wants money to leave since our finances are still co mingled she wanted to know what to do. I told her to give him the money letting him know it is the last time and to get gone. I know it's a bad thing to do but I hurt for her and he will not leave her alone. I just need to vent here a bit I told her about this place. Don't know if she will check it out or not. This is so hard I just can't not worry but I told her to be prepared to take drastic action if he comes back for more. She said he quit going to therapy says the therapist said we was the problem not him. I am having trouble with my thought process right now just needed to write something. Thank y'all for being here.
Ralph

Scent of Cedar *

Hi, Ralph

:O)

I'm sorry all this hurts so much, Huff. It helps me to remember that it hasn't been good with our difficult child kids for a long, long time. That's why we are here, learning how to take our lives in different, better, healthier directions.

Tried and true parenting techniques do not work with difficult child kids.

A difficult child son or daughter needs like, a drill instructor parent. difficult child kids need someone who could care less about their feelings. They need someone who models. "I'm the parent and you're not. Don't cross me." Instead, they have us, loving them, believing they will make it, absolutely devastated by the painful things that are happening to them and trying, with all our hearts, to make it better.

It is going to take time to learn how to do this thing we are committed to doing, Huff. It may be true that once we change, our difficult children will change, will become healthy and whole, again. That was the thinking that pushed me toward taking a detachment response to difficult child son. That if I changed, he would change. As I've progressed along the detachment path, I am realizing that when I change...the only thing that happens is that I get healthier. And as I get healthier, Huff?

I realize, right down in my heart and in my spirit, where it matters, that healthier for me and husband is enough, is a miracle. As I think will happen for you too Huff, as I begin to think in healthier patterns, I can see, so clearly, that neither of my children were helpless victims. They were fortunate children whose parents loved them so much that they accepted inappropriate behaviors because that's what the kids presented with.

This does not happen to the parents of easy child kids. If and when easy child kids do rebel, it is an episode, something fixable. easy child kids truly do feel remorse. They learn from their mistakes. difficult child kids? Not so much. I think the difference has to do with taking responsibility. easy child kids take responsibility for themselves, for the choices they've made. difficult child kids never do. It's almost like they are pushing to find the place where the parent will give up.

And when the parent does give up? Then the difficult child really goes on a bender.

And then?

They blame their mothers. Or their parents' divorce. Or their siblings' mental illness. Or the father's temper/livliehood/education you name it.

I still remember the first time difficult child son swore at me. I remember the first time he showed up on a family holiday, dirty and penniless and entitled (that part wasn't unusual) and I resented his presence.

I had never felt that way before, whatever shape he showed up in. I was so horrified at my own thought processes. I wondered what in the world was the matter with ME.

I am beginning to see that, where I once took total responsibility for having raised either of my kids so badly that they had no choice but to make those bad choices they made...they made those choices out of my sight, out of my care, and against my will and advice.

It's just that responsible people take responsibility. If we have a difficult child child, we take the reins and the responsibility. And though we may never have seen a horse like that before, we ride that horse until it is broken to the saddle or we are dead. Broken bones? No problem. Out of money? No problem, we will get the money somewhere. Lose a marriage? Goodbye, mate ~ I have this horse no one can ride and it's so worthless I am afraid they are going to turn it into dogfood. Have a great life, whatever, goodbye.

If, by some miracle, we do get off?

The horse keeps running, keeps biting, keeps destroying things right and left.

Know what it turns out the problem was?

Bad horse.

Cedar

helpangel

About the only thing I would change from what Cedar said was mine instead of thinking horse I think white elephants - something unique that is celebrated but totally useless (can't get work out of) that eats your food.

Nancy

Echolette

If I had a dime for every therapist who supposedly said the problem wasn't with the person in therapy....jeez!!! do they really say that? I can't believe it is so. "You stole the gas and helped your friends steal the gas but the problem isn't you, its your parents??"" I don't think so. I think difficult child isn't hearing quite right, and he is invoking the authority of the therapist to make you and his mom doubt yourselves, go right to guilt. If the therapist were reinforcing him in that way he wouldn't quit going, he would suck it right up. He is quitting because the therapist is challenging him, which is making him uncomfortable..he doesn't want to be told he is the problem, he wants to be right!
this is a basic problem with therapy. When it gets hard, where rock meets bone and the work gets done, the weak quit.

Done it myself.

I'm fine with your ex giving him money to leave as long as she changes the locks and cancels all shared credit the second he walks out the door.

Bad horse.

Scent of Cedar *

Here is a story about therapy. It is a true story.

When she was in her forties, my sister-in-law, who never was a drinker, met and fell in love with an alcoholic who was in his fifties. At some point, he went back to drinking. To save their relationship, she agreed to counseling. He stopped going. GUESS WHO THE THERAPIST THEN TOLD THE ONE PERSON STILL IN COUNSELING WHERE THE REAL PROBLEM WAS, AND WHAT WAS THE REAL REASON THE FORMER ALCOHOLIC COULD NOT STAY AWAY FROM THE BOOZE?

Yep.

The sister-in-law!

It would have been different had the therapist asked whether she would like to continue therapy for herself. But to blame her for the alcoholic's behaviors?!?

I really like therapy. I want myself back. Anyone who can help me do that is right where I am going to be. But there are some therapists who have not addressed their own issues well enough to handle someone else's. Then, therapy is not only not helpful, but is actually harmful, in the sense that you give over a certain amount of authority, a certain amount of trust, to the therapist.

Another story. When difficult child daughter was 14, acting out, running away, just totally, horribly, shockingly out of reach, husband and I hunted her down. husband took one arm. I took the other. We took her home, that way. That was the day I called for outside help. I was able to get in to see a therapist or, forty-five minutes sooner, to bring difficult child to a dual-diagnostic adolescent crisis center. We picked the crisis center because it was forty five minutes earlier, and we literally did not know how long we would be able to keep difficult child home. Initially? They were not going to keep her. They were just going to send her back home with us! We convinced them to keep her. She was there for two weeks and from there, went into her first treatment.

I don't know how much worse any of this could have been?

But nothing any of these people, treatment centers, or therapists did made a difference for difficult child.

And we are talking years, here.

We are talking, at one point some years later when difficult child had been repeatedly on probation, about special police units able to come into our home any time and stay for as long as they wanted, to go through difficult child's room at will, to check on difficult child, take her out of the home, whatever they needed or recommended to do, to try to make sense of the family dynamic, out of why difficult child was doing what she was doing.

The harm done our family was that the parents were made to feel sort of creepy and wrong without ever a whisper of what was wrong or how to fix it. We had given up our authority (in our own minds, I mean) to people who, though they charged lots of money and pretended to know what they were doing, did nothing at all. We were all floating in this darkness waiting for the magical, all-knowing therapists to tell us what we needed to do to help our child and ourselves.

And that never happened. The most worthwhile aspect of any of this was the special police unit. I liked them. They did what they said they were going to do with no therapeutic fear and awe mumbo jumbo.

I have had good therapists. I can spot a bad one, now. But then, I was innocent and so desperate to know what I'd done, to know how to help my child. It was criminal what those therapists did, really.

The first treatment center we had been told to authorize for difficult child "or she will die" was closed two years after difficult child's three month confinement there. Turns out one of the counselors was dealing cocaine...just like difficult child had told us when she called, crying and begging to come home. I had called and talked to that counselor immediately, of course.

He told me that was the drugs talking; essentially, that my daughter was lying.

He was the one charged with dealing cocaine.

It's been hellish, just hellish. Parents are vulnerable during these times. And, in that we spent so much money you wouldn't believe it, in that we did everything they said and everything else we could think of or learn or read about and nothing, nothing, nothing worked...we and our children are being victimized.

And there is nothing we can do about it. Our children are labeled both victim and villain. We are just expected to pay.

I am still so angry about this.

It is one thing to tell a parent true things for the money. It is another entirely to prey on families in crisis for the money.

Cedar

Echolette

I'll add to the horror stories...my son was sexually abused at a therapeutic boarding school by one of the older boys..the older one was expelled. They had aides there, a rule that two boys could never go to the bathroom together without an aide...but the aide didn't bother to go. SEveral times.
Awesome.
After paying a college tuitions worth of money to that same therapeutic boarding school, upon his discharge they told us we needed to find a nice 20 something young man, preferably with some course work or interest in behavior modification, who could act as a tutor as well as a friend (maybe play basketball) and mentor for our difficult child for oh, maybe 20 hours/week indefinitely. That difficult child's recovery would depend on that and that they, the school, would not be held accountable for his relapse if we failed to follow their recommendations and obtain such a person.
Where does one find such a person???????? We never could. We tried. difficult child went back to his old ways, and the school said...welll you didn't do what we told you. Not our fault.
HAHAHAHA. Great way to be, professionally. Make impossible recommendations, then you can never fail when people can't follow through.
When the man I trusted most in the world lied cheated and stole from me (and told all my deepest secrets to his new lover)...I actually tried to work things out with him. His therapist (because, damaged as he was, he also wanted to try) told him that I was harassing him by asking him for details and clarification about the lying, stealing, and cheating...this within weeks of my discovering it.
Lotta damage those folks can do.
I also had a great one, who helped me develop my own voice, to hear what I wanted, to see where my own boundaries, that I didn't even know existed or that I was afraid to see, were, and to feel ok about them. She was great.
So there are great ones, good ones, competent ok ones, and lousy ones.
There is also a gap between what a therapist says to a difficult child and what the difficult child reports to us.
Take it all with a grain of salt, thats all I can say.

BusynMember

I agree with Echo actually. I've been in therapy since I was twenty-three. I had some very useful therapists and some whose advice was insane (no pun intended). I think the boarding house advice would not have changed anything even if you could have found such a person. Reminds of of when I first took Sonic for help for his early tantrums and was told to put him in a time out and demand he sit there for three minutes. If I did, he would stop his tantrums. Uh-huh. Suuuuuuuuuure. What do you do when they scream and throw the chair? These are just theories. Psychology is not an exact science and nobody knows what or if anything will magically help, but for the money you pay at a boarding school, I'd have expected better advice than THAT. Jeeeeez. Makes me angry.

It's scary that there was sexual abuse in a place that is supposed to be safe and monitored at all times. I know it goes on in some residential treatment centers too.

Huff

Hello y'all sorry I have been away thanks to everyone for being here for me. Just need to get on here and have myself a selfish moment.