Being an infp / empath

Knowing when people are lying is a good thing, but also painful.

Watching people be manipulated and tricked hurts.

Feeling the negative energy around someone who is selfish to the core and willing to harm other is being suffocated.

Seeing all the bullshit in the world doesn’t always feel like a gift.

...but i would give it up. To have the highest highs you sometimes hit lows.

Triedntrue

I would imagine that feeling those emotions on a regular basis can be difficult to live with. I do wish however I had the ability to tell when my son is lying. He can be a master manipulator and even after all these years and all of his lies I still fall for it.

Do you believe he believes he is telling the truth in the moment? That he is struggling but trying? Or is it clear manipulation? Does it seem like he will say anything to end the conversation?

As an aside, you may want to look into a screening for autism and or ADHD. SomewhereOutThere knows a ton about it...she might be able to offer some more insight.

My stepdaughters are still pretty young, 16/18. So I don't want to speak out of place.

Triedntrue

My son has been diagnosed with so many things and I think he says whatever will get him what he wants in that moment. I am not sure he considers it a lie at the time. One diagnosis is adhd and bipolar and drug use plus anxiety. I am currently trying to detach and my husband has taken control of my phone because he manipulates me to the point I run up bills or dip into my retirement. It is with my consent though.

Triedntrue

we started taking him to counselors in 4th grade he was diagnosed bipolar at 17 and confirmed in October. They added the anxiety. He was diagnosed with adhd in grade school and with depression. At some point there was odd as well.

wow I had a similar experience, I don’t want to question your experience, but will share mine in case it might help..

It turned out ADHD was the primary culprit and the other diagnoses were the result of it not being treated appropriately. ADHDers exhibit symptoms of all the diagnoses. I know because in literally had everything you listed. Then I found the right psychologist and it was like someone explained my whole life to me. But also that pills don’t fix adhd, I had to understand how it changed my personality and asjust accordingly.

Also, if someone who is adhd is on amphetamines and sedating drugs; they will cancel each other out to a degree. Leaving them continuously struggling, often ending out with more diagnoses.

Everyone is different. Story just felt very similar. Good luck. Wish you and him the best.

And of course, I’m not a medical professional, just a guy with a similar experience.