Book recommendations for Radical Acceptance??

Copabanana

I am looking for suggestions on books to read to understand and to begin to live from the position of radical acceptance. I see there are popular books by Tara Brach, and I know the concept was popularized by Marsha Linehan. Can anybody recommend where to start? Also, was it more helpful to you to get a kindle book or a physical book?

Thank you.

Last edited:

BusynMember1

I prefer physical books so I can use a highlighter and bookmarks and throw them in my rather large purse for easy reference.

I like both Tara Brach AND Marsha Lineman and have read both. I would start can't though Iwith Marsha.

Can't say I never flounder, but I recover FAST when Kay acts like Kay and when I don't like what is happening in general. I have gained calmness by accepting with peace of mind what is. Accepting reality radically really helps my husband and me stop trying to change/control what is.

Kay's friend calling me required me to go back to the drawing board and read my highlighted passages. As soon as I did, I was able to take deep breaths, a calming nature walk, and to let it go. I may not like that Kay planned to guilt us, but in fact it happened. She did. No excuses. It is what it is.

I remembered to accept Kay, all of her. Not the Kay I wish she were, but Kay as she is right now. The no frills Kay. I accept the reality of now and my daughter as she really is, and these things calm me to my bones. I don't scream in my head,"No, no, no! Deep inside Kay is really a good person! I just need to wait until she shows me!" The truth is, what she shows me is the truth about who she is. Radical. Acceptance.

I accept therefore I can breathe and be calm. I am not fighting the truth vs. my own wishful thinking.

This weekend my husband and are plan a nice little getaway and both of us are in acceptance mode.

God bless.

Last edited:

Copabanana

Busy. Thank you. Do you remember the titles of the two books? For the Tara Brach is it the first one? I'll look for Marsha Linehan too. Do you remember that title?

BusynMember1

I think its called Radical Acceptance :)

Marsha Linaham is the creator of DBT therapy and DBT books all are therapy based but have chapters on doing radical acceptance. You do jot have to have a mental illness to benefit greatly.

See the video I posted

Last edited:

Blindsided

Face the Sun
I use a Kindle fire, which let's me have lots of books that I can make notes and highlight, bookmark, etc. Anyway. It looks like one of Tara's books is only in hardback so I added the ebook to my wishlist until I can download directly to my Kindle. I am going to visit my son and his wife in a couple of weeks. They will be interested too.

Thank you so much for asking and for the response from Busy.

B’smom

I don’t have anything to really add but I find audiobooks work best for me when it comes to “heavy books” vs reading a trashy romance novel. Lol “hearing” the words helps me understand and almost accept it instead of just reading it.

Copabanana

I find audiobooks work best for
You know I have never listened to an audiobook and have always wanted to (but don't know how.) About 15 years ago a woman told me that that's how she did her housework. I never, ever forgot it. I walk everyday. I have wanted to listen to audiobooks when I walk. Somewhere in the house I have an IPOD and I have a cellphone. And I have earphones. But I don't know how to put it all together.

B’smom

I use audiable, you sign up and pick a book ($15 a month- one free book a month plus discounted books) and download the app. I use my phone or iPad and listen. Its a Canadian service but I imagine the states has similar apps/services if you google it. Amazon perhaps? I love it, it really helped me when I “read” the Ross Greene books.
I used to work out daily, music got boring so I listened to just normal books as well.

Blindsided

Face the Sun
I am looking for suggestions on books to read to understand and to begin to live from the position of radical acceptance. I see there are popular books by Tara Brach, and I know the concept was popularized by Marsha Linehan. Can anybody recommend where to start? Also, was it more helpful to you to get a kindle book or a physical book?

Thank you.

After you posted this, I got some good recommendations. That's when I thought to add books I have found helpful, or not, to my profile signature line.

Thank you.