Chaco sandals

Crayola13

Do any of you have Chaco sandals? Do you all think Chaco sandals are worth the money? Are they comfortable? My chiropractor says they are the best thing for bad knees and hips. I spent $90 on Keen, and he said they aren't good enough!

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
I have never heard of Chaco sandals, but coincidentally I'm looking into getting some new sandals. Did a search and apparently Chacos are well known. I've never tried them on or even noticed them, but apparently a lot of other people have. Chaco (footwear) - Wikipedia

Crayola13

I tried them on today. They are very heavy, supportive, well made shoes. They just didn't fit right. I tried on two different sizes. However they're very well made and great quality. I'm sticking to my Keens, no matter what the chiropractor says.

Nandina

Another shoe that my chiropractor, who has knee issues himself, recommended is Skechers Goga ( like yoga) brand (GoWalk, GoRun, etc.) He said he had spent literally hundreds of dollars trying to find shoes that didn’t hurt his knees and he found these. I have done the same thing, spent a bunch trying to find shoes that aren’t so heavy, so I bought some and he is right. They are very lightweight—some weigh less than half a pound! I love them and they are reasonably priced. Even got my husband hooked on them. That is our go-to brand now!

susiestar

Roll With It
Chacos look like Birkenstocks to me. Never tried either kind. My favorite shoes of all time are Z Coils. They have a spring at the heel that really helps to support you. They are FAR more steady and solid to walk on than they look. They are NOT cheap, but if you get them at a good store, one that specializes in footwear for people with medical problems, they can adjust the springs to support you. The springs can be adjusted so if your foot rolls out (or in) or you have other problems, they can really help. I got my first pair at a thrift store, where they told me that they looked like really good shoes so they had to charge me a whole $5 for the pair. I had another pair after that one and I am planning to buy another pair in the next few months.

At one point I had been wearing the first pair and I stopped in a store that carried them. I didn't know they could be adjusted, so I let them do it. They were already the most comfortable pair of shoes I had ever owned, and the adjustment made the biggest difference.

I know these are outrageously expensive, but they are worth it if you are on your feet a lot. I have arthritis in my knees and hips, and chronic back problems, and these shoes made a HUGE difference.

Crayola13

I bought a pair of Alegria today. They fit great. You wouldn't believe how much less my feet hurt. They were on sale, plus I had a coupon. I'm very happy and so are my feet and knees. The chiropractor had said even though Chaco is best, Alegria is also very good. The foot bed is very hard and rock solid, so most people don't see how they could feel comfortable. They're adjustable. They aren't as young and trendy as I would like, but who cares when they are this comfortable! Still, they are attractive. They're just not young looking.

Crayola13

Chacos look like Birkenstocks to me. Never tried either kind. My favorite shoes of all time are Z Coils. They have a spring at the heel that really helps to support you. They are FAR more steady and solid to walk on than they look. They are NOT cheap, but if you get them at a good store, one that specializes in footwear for people with medical problems, they can adjust the springs to support you. The springs can be adjusted so if your foot rolls out (or in) or you have other problems, they can really help. I got my first pair at a thrift store, where they told me that they looked like really good shoes so they had to charge me a whole $5 for the pair. I had another pair after that one and I am planning to buy another pair in the next few months.

At one point I had been wearing the first pair and I stopped in a store that carried them. I didn't know they could be adjusted, so I let them do it. They were already the most comfortable pair of shoes I had ever owned, and the adjustment made the biggest difference.

I know these are outrageously expensive, but they are worth it if you are on your feet a lot. I have arthritis in my knees and hips, and chronic back problems, and these shoes made a HUGE difference.
I saw some. I think it's a very interesting concept and design.

Crayola13

FYI: In case anyone is having problems, below is my chiropractor's approved list of shoes.

1. Chaco
2. Birkenstock
3. Alegria
4. Ecco
5. Danskin

He said Clark's, Keen, and Teva aren't what they used to be. He said to avoid Merrill and Crocs. However, my husband has two pair that he loves. I have several pair of Clark's that I'll never part with. I also love KY Crocs because you can't rub a bluster with the foot bed material. My father in law also thinks Crocs are great. Chiropractor said if you can bend the smoke or foot bed, it's not supportive enough. I can see how some people's feet would hurt with a rock hard foot bed.

Some people don't have faith in chiropractors, but he has really helped my hip a lot. I plan to go back in a few weeks to have my feet and knees worked on. My father in law and sister in law both think he's great. If you don't think highly of chiropractors, reconsider. I had to be open minded. If my father in law hadn't recommended him, I would have just gone to traditional physical therapy.

I've also learned that Thorlo Pad socks help cushion the heels and are more comfortable than your average pair of summer socks if you have trouble with your feet. At $17 a pair, I was very nervous about buying them. But, they're worth it.

Nandina

I am one who finds Birkenstocks very uncomfortable on my knees and I find the footbed way too hard. But I know lots of people who swear by them. I spent $160 on a pair of Birkenstock sandals only to find that I can’t wear them and they’re sitting in my closet waiting to be sold or given away.

I haven’t heard of some of the other shoes on the list but I’ll check them out as I am always on a quest to find comfortable shoes! Unfortunately, it’s an expensive quest. And I have long ago given up on finding stylish shoes of the comfortable variety—they don’t exist!

As for chiropractors—if you find a good one they can make a difference in your life. I was in a serious car accident about 30 years ago; I was t-boned by a distracted teenage driver. My pelvis was fractured and for weeks I walked kind of like an ape (really, lol), with the left side of my body caved in.

I owe my relatively straight posture today to a chiropractor who used sort of a gentle acupressure technique on my hip and back. (I forget what it’s called) At the time, I had to keep this information from my medical doctor or he probably wouldn’t have continued to see me. In those days chiropractors got no respect at all from the medical profession. It’s not entirely better but today, you will sometimes see them working in tandem with doctors at the same practice. The MD did nothing to help me straighten up; just watched me walk to check gait and moved my leg up and down as I lay on the table.

If you’re having back, hip, neck, or foot pain and traditional MDs have been unable to help, sometimes a chiropractor can. They get to the root cause of the problem instead of just treating the symptoms.

Nomad

Staff member
Our daughter has wide feet and a very high in step. Any sandals fir this type of situation? Thanks.

MaxGill

In my opinion, they are quite good. I use them myself and am completely satisfied. And they have frequent discounts.