Cheap and simple recipes anyone??

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This one has me chuckling... because there is SO much about cooking that is unwritten.
I have a whole slew of family recipes. If I were to share them? You'd never get what WE get from them. Because, there's 3 or 4 generations of "we do it this way" packed into every recipe. My kids can cook them - the neighbor can't!

...And this is why I cannot make really good fried chicken, and my Mom can - but I make stuff like Tex-Mex queso and other things that I just "make". I tried to write out a recipe for mashed potatoes for Onyxx. *snicker*

Jody

I have a simple black bean burrito once a week. I take like a spoon of cream cheese, pat it on soft taco or burrito shell, and add hot black beans, and then whatever I have to put on it. I usually add some spinach, tomatoes, onion and then taco sauce. The cream cheese makes it very good, and you dont feel like you are missing cheese and sour cream. Sometimes I cook my own black beans instead of the can. Both are really good.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I know you said they didn't eat chicken but here is one for another time that you might like and it can also be done on a grill.

Chicken breasts or thighs, boneless
can of cream of mushroom soup
tsp. butter per packet
potatoes-1 per person, cubed tiny so they will cook properly
onions sliced, optionally
green beans-, fresh 1lb or canned -2, will work though fresh is better

Place the ingredients into a square of aluminum foil big enough to hold your chicken, single portion of potatoes/green beans/onions, and soup/butter mixture. Bake in oven at 375 for 45 minutes. If grilling it may only take 30 minutes depending on grill temperature and evenness of heat distribution (check the chicken inside).

witzend

Shepherd's Pie

1 Lb ground beef
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medication Onion, Chopped
1 Cup Beef Broth
1 Cup Frozen Peas
2 Tbl Butter
3 Tbl Flour
3 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
1 Package Instant Mashed Potatoes of your choice, or just mashe 4 -5 potatoes.

Salt and Pepper to taste
Paprika and parsley to garnish

Brown salt and pepper seasoned ground beef along with onion and carrots in a skillet.

While the beef is browning, melt butter in a separate sauce pan and stir in flour. Stir thick butter flour mixture for 2 minutes, then gradually whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce to butter and flour mixture, making a gravy.

Add Peas to ground beef mixture, then add gravy and cover to simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile prepare mashed potatoes separately.

Pour ground beef and veggie mixture into a shallow 9x13 casserole dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top, and sprinkle with parsley and paprika to garnish. Brown under broiler for a few minutes, and serve immediately.