Evaluation is sufficiently comprehensive to identify… the child is assessed in all areas related to the suspected disability, including….

Sharon1974

Original thread title: Interesting school conference

Went into school for a conference with teacher, aide, and councellor. Very interesting. Teacher commented more than several times on phone throughout year about difficult child's social skills. She was very concerned about him not making friends, the way he acted, his immaturity, etc. All of a sudden - - - he is FINE. He gets along fine with the other kids, etc. In addition, she thinks he is in complete control of his behavior since it is inconsistant. She thinks he just comes in to school sometimes and decides that he is going to antagonize the teacher that day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hot_head.gif
Can you believe this. As far as his "potty problems" - that are a problem at school only. She doesn't understand why I am concerned about this. Here is the real clincher - there is general agreement that he likely has sensory integration problems - but the school district does not evaluate for this type of problem, or for Central Auditory Processing problems either.

I wish I brought someone to this conference with me just as a witness!!!!!!

Just thought I would vent to you guys, because I know you understand.

I am seriously thinking about pulling him out and homeschooling him.

Martie

Sharon,

SD do not get to choose what they are willing to evalaute.

If you want your child evalauted, send a certified letter indicating (but not limited to) your areas of concern. They really have no choice in the matter. If they have no qualified staff, then they have to get it done by an outside expert.

Martie

Sheila

Ditto Marti.

The law is quite clear on this issue.

"In evaluating each child with a disability under §§300.531-300.536, the evaluation is sufficiently comprehensive to identify all of the child's special education and related services needs, whether or not commonly linked to the disability category in which the child has been classified.

The child is assessed in all areas related to the suspected disability , including, if appropriate, health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities."

Emphasis added.

Federal law does not exempt any school district. State laws must be in compliance with-Federal regs.

I've learned to ask for the written Federal and/or State reg sd personnel are referring to when they make comments like "we don't do" xyz. In other words, "Show me where it is written. I need law -- not policy or opinion." :wink:

Just so you know, even if you homeschool, the school district is still responsible for doing appropriate evaluations.

Martie

Sheila,

Very good suggestion! Ask for the law that exempts them from compliance with Federal and state law. LOL

It is doing that sort of thing that made me a "pain" to my SD but o well....

It is not about being popular, it is aobut getting services for the difficult child.

Martie

Sharon1974

Thank you for your suggestions. I know you told me to send in the request in writing before. I wrote it up but did not send it in because I thought we would resolve this in the conference. (Yea, right)

I have printed out my letter and parent report and addressed the envelope. Today, I am sending it certified mail to the head of the child study team.