I am in crisis

Copabanana

worst case you can delay them. maybe indefinitely depending upon the law where you live. and if they accept rent from you, i think, that delays the process.

the resource re posted has lots of info.

the worst thing sometimes happens, but a lot of times it does not.

they are skating on thin ice. of all the tenants, why you? you have protections under discrinination laws. you have a major mental illness.

they are counting on you not knowing your rights. learn them. and find legal help.

KTMom91

Another thing for the pictures verifying the date - make sure that day's newspaper is featured. Date stamps could possibly be altered, but that day's paper can't, unless you're a time traveler or something.

BusynMember

I agree with GN. What a lot of bullying over a dirty carpet thst can be washed. Something sounds off.

I am not that knowlegeable about tenants rights, but if this were me, i would probably consult a lawyer. Maybe some offer free consultations.

Let us know how it goes and keep your chin up. You did nothing wrong. If an apartment allows pets, i find it hard to believe that your apartment is the only one with litter on the carpet. Its bullying.

I am sitting here at work in tears, trying to hold it all in. I just received a phone call from my apartment complex, stating that during a mandatory bed bug inspection, our place was found dirty and if not cleaned we could get kicked out. We don't have bed bugs, a neighbor does, but we were inspected to make sure the bugs hadn't spread. Apparently an apartment representative was also there as well, and reported us after he saw the condition of our apartment.

Thing is, I am so clueless. I knew ahead of time they were coming, and I cleaned the place spotless. Or so I thought. I vacuumed the entire apartment, swept and actually got down on my hands and knees to scrub the floors with a scrubber, and cleaned the bathroom, wiped up counters, and cleaned the litter box. I even went as far as to get out my hand vacuum and vacuum under the furniture and under the cushions and around the beds. I had to ask this apartment manager exactly what they had found wrong. She was very vague and wouldn't answer me. All she kept saying was, "Well it's dirty."

I told her I needed a detailed explanation, and she told me she didn't have time to list each and every thing that was wrong. That's just BS. There couldn't be that many things wrong with my apartment that she couldn't take the time to tell me what they were. I persisted. This is the answer I got, "the carpets are dirty, the litter box was full, and there was litter on the floor." I completely cleaned out the litter box the night before the inspection, so there is not possible way it was full of anything than mostly clean litter. Of course there is going to be some litter around the litter box. The cats cover up their mess and the litter sometimes spills onto the carpet.

We only have one litter box. It is in the bedroom. Granted, there was a little bit of litter surrounding the box that the vacuum wouldn't pick up, but in no way was the litter "all over the floor." As for the carpet, we have lived there for five years and in that time there have been some spills, spills that would not come out unless I got the whole carpet cleaned. In the past, whenever we have moved, they have had to take out the carpet and replace it. They always take it out of my deposit. It's understandable. I expect it. But seriously isn't a stained carpet considered normal wear and tear?

When I tried to explain all of this to the lady, she didn't want to hear any of it. I told her quite bluntly that I need to know exactly what to do to keep my apartment. She kept saying, "I don't know." I told her I had no clue what else to do other than scrub down the whole place with a toothbrush. She had no answer. She asked me if I was going to be home tomorrow so they could do the inspection. I told her absolutely not, I will be at work, and I need way more than a half a day's notice to have my apartment insepected. She then told me she was going to contact her supervisor, and go from there.

I broke down at work, had to go to the restroom, and cry. I have cleaned myself up a bit, and now I'm back at my desk still fighting off tears. If we lose this apartment, we lose everything. My credit has become SO bad over the last five years, my own bank has shut down my accounts and credit cards and I have about ten negative things on my credit report. There is no way I will be accepted for another apartment. Not to mention, I can't afford a deposit.

I don't know what to do. We will have to go back to motel living, something I always promised my kids we would never do again since their dad left us. I worked hard to get us back from being homeless. We are now facing that again. Worse yet, we will lose our cats. They are my therapy cats. I need them to help my anxiety. My son and my cats are what help me most to keep going and pushing hard to make it. I know I keep repeating myself, but I seriously have no idea what they want!! Do I even have any recourse for this?

Here are some things that would be on a cleaning checklist: Over the range vent (inside and mesh cover) degreased and cleaned. Oven cleaned. Burner covers cleaned, removed if possible and cleaned under. Cupboards in the kitchen washed with wood cleaner. Windows and window sills and metal parts where windows slide cleaned. Refridge cleaned inside and out. Don't forget the top and remove the vent on the bottom and vacuum it out. Clean under the fridge. Wash all the moldings and scrub the floor. I would rent a carpet cleaner or if you can afford it, hire a professional to clean the carpets. Bathroom, use a pumice (gently) and scrub any ring or stain out. Scrub the shower and pumice any stains out of the tub (if it doesn't damage it). Dust and wash the a/c and heating vents on the ceiling (or floor). Go to some minimalism websites and get rid of half of your stuff. If you really think you are going to lose your home, you may want to think about getting rid of the cat....if this is considered dirty by the landlord. The more stuff you have, the dirtier your apartment will feel. Good Luck ... You can do this!!

One further idea to consider. If your lease has expired and you are now on a month to month, the landlord doesn't have to have a reason to evict you (as long as it isn't a civil rights issue). They do have to give you notice (this gets longer depending on how long you've live there). You do have some rights, but given your situation I think the FIRST thing you should do is clean like there is no tomorrow. Get rid of a lot of stuff ...even the cat and borrow money to have that carpet cleaned.

Californiablonde

Well I spic and spanned the hell outta my place this weekend and the carpets are looking nice and clean. I gotta say, never really realized how dirty my carpet was till I saw it clean again. Still, that's something that could have been taken care of on my future move out date and taken out of my deposit, in my opinion. Anyway, place is scrubbed up, I am completely changing out both litter boxes early tomorrow morning before they get there so there's not even a clump in there when they come, and I am praying and hoping for the best.

pigless in VA

CB, I gave up on carpets for that reason. I had a white carpet in my living room that looked like an unwashed dalmation after several years of kids and cats. I do better with rugs and floors. Rugs can be tossed out easily. Good luck today. Bingo is in charge of the naked chicken liver dance for you.

Copabanana

congratulations cb. did you take dated pictures?

fingers crossed here, too.

cb. i think you may have some protections under civil rights laws due to mental illness.

have you called a tenants right attorney?

let us know!!

remember. don't converse except hello goodbye. all in writing.

Californiablonde

@Californiablonde it's not nice to leave us hanging!!! What happened? Just a few words would do!
I I have been very busy at work. Haven't had a chance to get online. The inspection seemed to go okay. the guy, who was very nice, said everything looked good, and left. Then I get a notice a few days later saying my furniture is an eye sore (my words, not theirs, I forget what they said exactly) and my couch needs to go. I seriously have no idea why MY furniture matters to this complex. I called the attorney in charge of sending me that letter, and they said the apartments want my place to look "presentable." Granted, the couch is terrible. It is ripped and has bad stuffing coming out of it. There is nasty stains on it from my daughter being a slob, and I have been wanting to get rid of it for months but haven't had the money for a new couch. Anyway, my mom found me a good couch at the Salvation army for 50 bucks, so our old disgusting couch will be gone. Next inspection is on Wednesday. I will try and update everyone as soon as I can. By the way, my carpet looks great.

Californiablonde

Okay so here's the latest. The inspection was on Wednesday, the newest inspection, and the same guy came in and said the place looked fabulous. I re cleaned before he got there, but my house was just as clean, if not cleaner, the inspection before that in which they said it wasn't good enough. Only thing different is the couch, and yes, I gotta admit the new couch makes a HUGE difference in the way the house looks. The guy was glad we got rid of the old couch. Oh, and by the way, this time my Uncle came over and took more pictures, including the furniture, to prove that the place is clean. Before the guy left, when I thought I was all in the clear, the man told me the apartments will probably tell me I need to put bed frames on my beds. They are not just mattresses on the floor. They all have box springs. There is nothing wrong with the way my beds look. That is the way they were sold to me. And really, why does it matter how MY beds look? I am starting to think I'm getting picked on. I am waiting till after the holidays to hear back from them. Wish me luck.
I I have been very busy at work. Haven't had a chance to get online. The inspection seemed to go okay. the guy, who was very nice, said everything looked good, and left. Then I get a notice a few days later saying my furniture is an eye sore (my words, not theirs, I forget what they said exactly) and my couch needs to go. I seriously have no idea why MY furniture matters to this complex. I called the attorney in charge of sending me that letter, and they said the apartments want my place to look "presentable." Granted, the couch is terrible. It is ripped and has bad stuffing coming out of it. There is nasty stains on it from my daughter being a slob, and I have been wanting to get rid of it for months but haven't had the money for a new couch. Anyway, my mom found me a good couch at the Salvation army for 50 bucks, so our old disgusting couch will be gone. Next inspection is on Wednesday. I will try and update everyone as soon as I can. By the way, my carpet looks great.

Copabanana

what about putting concrete blocks or wood blocks (cut from cheap lumber and painted) under each bed corner?

this is harassment. tell them to put it in writing.

BusynMember

Never in twenty years of renting has anyone even come inside to check our places. If they did, they would have seen no headboards on the beds (we dont like them) and old couches (why new ones? Our dogs share them and we want them to). Why on earth do "they" care, whoever they are who snoops around your place???

Unless bugs are crawling out of your apartment why are they inspecting your inside? Is it legal? Even so, who does that? No one around here! Are you on Section 8? That is the only reason I have ever heard for inspections and that is, i heard,only every six months.

I would get the hell out of there when you can. I know you cant yet. Too bad. I wouldnt want to fight it. I would just want some privacy. Too expensive to fight...ugh.

For years we havent owned property. This spring we are buying our own property with land to seperate us from nosey neighbors. And not near any associations. We prefer unincorporated areas. I loathe having anyone sniffing around my business. And I dont want to watch if Walter cuts his lawn short enough...I really dont care what Walter does and want Walter to ignore me too.

I am sorry, CB. Your home should be your home, your sanctuary, even an apartment, unless the place poses a danger to neighbors. It does not sound as if this is the case with you. Even a dirty carpet...our landlord changes the carpet whenever someone moves out.

Insane.

Last edited:

BloodiedButUnbowed

I have never, ever heard of any management company having the right to inspect an occupied unit, let alone dictate the appropriateness of a tenant's furniture.

What they are doing sounds 1000% illegal and I hope you pursue your rights as a tenant.

ahhjeez

This doesn't sound right. How can management be able to dictate what your bed looks like? Or that your couch isn't good enough. Until last week my bed and box spring were on the floor. I did that because my husband has really restless and looooong legs. So he'd move them all over the place and shake the bed frame and drive me nuts. It seems like they are overstepping here.

I'm so sorry you are going through all this.