Just want some advice

sooooo tired

soooootired
I havent been on here for quite a while. Just don't know how to handle my situation.
My oldest has been out of my life for 5 years.
Recently one of her friends passed away and my younger daughter reached out
To her. So they have been in touch. I told middle daughter that's fine. But if she wants back in my life she will have to make an effort.
Am I wrong? The last thing she said to me is I wish you were dead. I am so frightened that the drama will come back. It makes me so nervous.

Copabanana

I told middle daughter that's fine. But if she wants back in my life she will have to make an effort.
Welcome back!

I don't think anybody can help you with this decision. Why? Because we are all of us different and so are our children. I remember you well. I remember you married a nice man and I went back to your first post, and I was reminded of how much you loved and worried about your baby grandson, the youngest child of the daughter in question. I can't speak to that, because I am not a grandmother. I think that has to be the hardest of things, to be so vulnerable to the actions of an irresponsible daughter, who may not be an adequate parent, let alone that she does not treat you well.

Like you I have an adult child who is mentally ill.

I will tell you what is happening for me. Let me stress again, that my situation is very different than yours. But, I have felt for years exactly the same as you. I could not bear interacting with my son. The police had been here so many times. Once or twice he pushed in my door and I was traumatized. Still I won't let him come over here to my house unless he is accompanied by my ex.

So. I decided to be the one to change. I began to call my son everyday. I don't ask for anything. There are no conditions. It's only talking. I end each call with "I love you." Now he is ending calls that way too. I am finding that several things are happening. One he is seeing that change has to come from HIM. It's baby steps. The other thing is that he is acting way more stable and balanced. He is not being a drama queen. He is no longer acting so weird. My unconditional presence (by phone) seems stabilizing to him. And it is stabilizing for me, too.

He has asked to come to my house. I say no. I may soon think about meeting him in a public place, but I am afraid. Not of what he will do but that it will trigger me.

Make of what I write, as you will. Others will have entirely different takes. I'm not suggesting that mine has any merit or that it will continue to be healing, but for now it is greatly healing for me. I want my son in my life.

Last edited:

sooooo tired

soooootired
Thanks for responding!
I remember you also.
I had often wished that
All of us could meet.
Yes I want my daughter in my life too. I just shutter when I think of all the manipulating
Drama. I am happy now and I dont want to lose that by opening up that door.

Acacia

I havent been on here for quite a while. Just don't know how to handle my situation.
My oldest has been out of my life for 5 years.
Recently one of her friends passed away and my younger daughter reached out
To her. So they have been in touch. I told middle daughter that's fine. But if she wants back in my life she will have to make an effort.
Am I wrong? The last thing she said to me is I wish you were dead. I am so frightened that the drama will come back. It makes me so nervous.
I so relate to this. Those were my daughter's last words to me to. I have not seen her for almost 5 years. Through the grapevine it doesn't sound as though my daughter has changed. I love her and want the best for her, but at 68 I am unwilling to have the drama and verbal abuse back in my life. I am nervous, too.

You are not wrong to feel this way. You deserve to be respected and protected, and you do not have to tolerate abuse. You have a right to set boundaries to keep you emotionally and physically safe.