Missed call from my son

Elsi

Laura, I am so sorry for your for your pain. It is so hard watching our children destroy themselves. I almost lost N before his recovery in prison, and S and C are still off the rails. Prison (real time, not just a night in the drunk tank or a couple weeks awaiting trial) was the ‘wakeup call’ for N. I am still waiting for the wakeup call for the other two.

Like you, I wonder what it will take. They’ve both lost everything, too, from a material sense. They have repeatedly left things behind, lost or abandoned them through a series of couch surfing arrangements and stints of homelessness. They are near skeletal and aging before their time. I have reason to believe S is trading sex for drugs - or possibly being pimped out by the current ‘roommate/boyfriend’. It kills me.

I think sometimes focusing on taking care of ourselves he only thing we can do. I have to stay involved from a distance, offering love but not material support, keeping communication lines open but not letting myself get sucked into the daily drama. I do get sucked in when it looks like they are making moves towards recovery, and I get my hopes up. How can we not? I still hold out hope. But I’m learning not to pin too much of my well-being on that hope.

I think it’s good that you are setting boundaries. I freelance from home as well, and I know what it’s like when our kids (and others) assume it’s not a ‘real’ job and therefore we must always be available. I’ve finally broken mine of that assumption.

I hope you find some nice things to do for yourself today, and are able to put the worry on the back burner for a bit. I know it’s never really gone, but the truth is we have no control over the decisions they make or whether or not they will be successful in their attempts at sobriety. It’s not easy to be in that position. We feel like there should be something we are doing to make it better. But it is truly out of our hands.

Hugs to you.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Laura I am so sorry that your son is putting you through this and has the Devil of addiction on his back.

All I can do is pray for you both because really nothing else will help.

My son has been sober for almost 14 months now and I have been in the depths of despair with his addiction. It was so strong that I can see it as nothing less than fighting the Devil himself. It has taken it's toll on me but I am still standing!!

I had to turn it over to my higher power because it was beating me down and it was too much for me. I couldn't do it alone.

I am looking forward to getting to know my son again when he comes home next month. So many years have been stolen from us.

If my son can get sober anyone can. But it's all up to him. Get all the support you can get for yourself.

Hugs.