Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

AppleCori

I doubt it, too, but it was something that came to mind and I thought I'd toss it out there. Brainstorming the unknown has always interested me. Being able to formulate possible answers for such things keeps ones mind thinking.

I doubt it’s because they remember their mother’s undies, but probably a first experience in seeing it on an attractive female or in a store, etc.

Pink Elephant

I doubt it’s because they remember their mother’s undies, but probably a first experience in seeing it on an attractive female or in a store, etc.
Could be. Love Human Psychology for this reason. So much to learn and know.

Makes me think of those with foot fetishes and things. I never understood how such could come about, but I'm thinking something along the lines results in the triggering of ones senses or emotions, and for whatever unknown reason, something new is born in that individual.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

OMG, no!

I was thinking of the “first boyfriend” thing.....

Gee thanks, I may have to pluck my eyes out, now......

I’ll never be able to unthink that....
My apologies, Apple. LOL! The first boyfriend scenario never even crossed my mind. Can you tell I've been married for a long time? :)

AppleCori

Could be. Love Human Psychology for this reason. So much to learn and know.

Makes me think of those with foot fetishes and things. I never understood how such could come about, but I'm thinking something along the lines it's the result of something triggering ones senses, and for whatever unknown reason, something new is born in that individual.

I actually wrote “fetish” when I described my preference for hairy chests.....funny story about my hubby if you want to hear it.....

My apologies, Apple. LOL! The first boyfriend scenario never even crossed my mind. Can you tell I've been married for a long time? :)

You haven’t forgotten your first boyfriend, have you?

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I actually wrote “fetish” when I described my preference for hairline chests.....funny story about my hubby if you want to hear it.....

You haven’t forgotten your first boyfriend, have you?
Would love to hear about it.

As for my first love, I do remember. Goodness me, so long ago. Like another life ago. Time has such a way of doing that.

BusynMember

Pink, again I am not arguing or saying you are wrong. Please, please dont think I am. I enjoy you very much! Just saying that we are all so different--- not all kids grow up to be like their parents. Some are nothing like them. They weren't close or they didn't care or their peers meant more. Or they are their own people, individual thinkers (I unconsciously copied some of the BAD of my mother but was in no way like her in my good traits or as far as dress, taste in fashion or men, anything really).

How people turn out is a great mystery. You are right to wonder. Five siblings can be very different yet they were raised the same. I am the kind of person who forms opinions on my own, and nobody can influence me if I make up my mind about something. That isn't always good lol.

Here's a kind of a funny example of my mother vs. me. Pink, do you remember pedal pushers? Lol. Bet you do! Mom wore those and stretch pants (remember?) all the time! I think her tops were just stretch tops. She was actually very beautiful but nobody noticed. She was unkempt and very out of date. All that beauty was hidden. She didn't care about it.

Now I never yearned to be a fashion plate, nor was I ever as beautiful as she was, but you would not catch me in clothes that were so out of date that nobody else dressed that way. I liked to look pretty. I didn't copy her taste in men either, if my dad is an example lol. And I didn't want a man like my dad ever. He loved me unconditionally but I am close to being an empath and my dad lacked compassion for others. Unless it was about him. I loved him a lot but didn't like men who looked or acted like him.

I look a lot like my mother and I wish I didnt. Heck, I wish I was adopted lol. I have always wished that.

You know, I could be way wrong, but I think the mystery of why we like things a certain way is for different reasons with each person. So I don't think the "why" question applies the same way to everyone.

I think it shows that you are bright that you think hard about unexplainables. I have always been a very deep over thinker myself. So in this way we may actually be ALIKE!!! I may not be as smart though ;)

But my childhood shaped me in only one way.....I didn't want the rest of my life to be anything like my childhood. I chose a new set of values, which I think are better, a new type of neighborhood, I even ditched my culture/religion.

My dad wore these gross undersirts lol. White...hard to describe. I would never want a guy I was with to wear that or dress like him. And my mom....I wanted nothing to do with her values, likes or preferences. Now I loved my grandma and am very imaginative like she was. And we both loved kids. I am okay thinking that I look like her because I will love her forever. Maybe the key is if you were close to and loved by your parents.

Pink, I hope you know I find you smart, funny and interesting and am just sharing my life, as you share yours. I respect you very much :)

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Pink, again I am not arguing. Just saying not all kids grow up to be like their parents. Some are nothing like them. They weren't close or they didn't care or their peers meant more. Or they are their own people, individual thinker (I unconsciously copied some of the bad of my mother but was in no way like her as far as dress, taste in fashion or men, anything really).

How people turn out is a mystery. Five siblings can be very different yet they were raised the same. I am the kind of person who forms opinions on my own, and nobody can influence me if I make up my mind about something.

Here's kind of a funny example. Pink do yyou remember pedal pushers? Lol. My mom wore those and stretch pants (remember?) all the time! I think her tops were just stretch tops. She was actually very beautiful but nobody noticed. She was unkempt and very out of date.

Now I never wanted to be a fashion plate but you would not catch me in clothes that were so out of date or sloppy. I didn't ever her taste in men either, if my dad is an example lol. And I didn't want a man like my dad ever.

I look a lot like my mother and it bothers me.

You know, I could be way wrong, but I think the mystery of why we like things a certain way is different with each person. So I don't think the "why" question applies the same way to everyone.

I think it shows that you are bright that you think hard about unexplainables. I have always been a very deep over thinker myself. So in this way we may actually be ALIKE!!!

But my childhood shaped me in only one way.....I didn't want the rest of my life to be anything like my childhood. I choose a new set of values, which I think are better, a new type of neighborhood, I even ditched my culture/religion.

My dad wore these gross undersirts lol. White...hard to describe. I would never want a guy I was with to wear that or dress like him. And my mom....I wanted nothing to do with her values, likes or preferences. Now I loved my grandma and am very imaginative like she was. And we both loved kids. I am okay thinking that I look like her because I will love her forever.

Pink, I hope you know I find you smart, funny and interesting and am just sharing my life, as you share yours. I respect you very much :)
I agree with everything you mention, SOT.

So true, siblings are almost never the same, not in actions or thought, and neither are kids.

Oh my goodness, yes, I remember pedal-pushers and stretch pants! I even remember (in the 80's) when stretch jeans first came out.

Funny story about remembering, but my oldest brother remembers grandpa wearing stained, one-piece trap-door long-underwear, and as a kid he used to cry and fret over wearing long-johns. Poor old grandpa tainted him for life! LOL!

Yes, I am and have always been a deep thinker. Brain never shuts off. I think about all sorts of things, and all the time... and stuff (I'm sure) a lot of people never ever give thought to. Oh well, if we were all alike, what a boring world this would be.

As far as thinking you're smart and funny and interesting, too, SOT... right back at you! :)

Pink Elephant

What about crib bumper pads?

I know bumper pads aren't old-fashioned by any means, but it's been decades since I last seen a baby's crib outfitted with such... like back in my babysitting days.

I used vinyl bumper pads for a while in my oldest child's crib, but didn't like having to fuss around with them every time I changed her crib, so I quit using them.

AppleCori

I have to confess, I rarely used a crib with my youngest two, and with my oldest, only at first. I did have crib bumpers with the older ones, but it was only for looks, as the crib was used only sparsely. I remember mine being cloth, not vinyl.

I preferred to have them sleep with me for easy nursing.

BusynMember

I thought I was the only my one who wanted their babies in their beds with them. I did it because it promotes bonding. I started after we adopted Princess because her Korean foster mom slept with her and even carried her on her back during the day. Princess bonded so well that I kept it up for the first few months that we had them. This was only the babies, not the older adopted kids!

I did have bumpers in the cribs. All my kids quickly moved to toddler beds though as soon as possible.

Pink Elephant

Dear sister in law, Marlene, sent me this picture this morning to post. Yes, she's been dropping-by here to read my posts! LOL!

Perforated baby rubber pants, for the over 60 crowd! LOL!

No, I may not be in my 60's, but I remember baby sibs having them, and dear sister in law, remembers her baby sibs wearing them.

P.S. Thanks, Marlene!

s-l1600.jpg

AppleCori

Dear sister in law, Marlene, sent me this picture this morning to post. Yes, she's been dropping-by here to read my posts! LOL!

Perforated baby rubber pants, for the over 60 crowd! LOL!

No, I may not be in my 60's, but I remember baby sibs having them, and dear sister in law, remembers her baby sibs wearing them.

P.S. Thanks, Marlene!

s-l1600.jpg

OMG I don’t even want to think about that!

Pink Elephant

OMG I don’t even want to think about that!
LOL, Apple! When I started changing baby siblings diapers, that's all there was, was cloth diapers, so I didn't think anything of it. It was as routine as routine was. Diapers were cloth, they needed to be folded, and pins were used to fasten, and once you had the diaper changed and pinned, rubber pants were put on. It was a three-part system... diaper, pins, and pants, and you didn't use one without the other.

BusynMember

I do t think my mother could have paid me enough candy bars to get me to clean my siblings dirty butts lol. I was defiant if I didn't want to do something and that would not have happened.

When Princess was twelve though we got Sonic and Jumper one right after the other and she initiated changing their diapers and likes to tease Jumper that she changed her diapers. She was really loving g toward the littles.

AppleCori

LOL, Apple! When I started changing baby siblings diapers, that's all there was, was cloth diapers, so I didn't think anything of it. It was as routine as routine was. Diapers were cloth, they needed to be folded, and pins were used to fasten, and once you had the diaper changed and pinned, rubber pants were put on. It was a three-part system... diaper, pins, and pants, and you didn't use one without the other.

I mean, I don’t want to think about having to wear rubber panties in my golden years!