PARENT REPORT OUTLINE ( THE ORIGINAL )

Jerri

*****PARENT REPORT******

WHAT IS IT?
Well under the reauthorization of IDEA 97 we are now full MET team members which essentially means squat if we dont take advantage of it.

Ok everyone here has read "their" reports, and you may or may not undersatnd them, and IF you dont you must request to have them explained to you. ask in writing, better yet put your questions in writing too.

A Parent report is something you write, and you share with the school, and it becomes a permanaent part of your childs educational record.

What is the worst thing about this in terms of next grade, new teacher, new school, new Doctor, new counselor, babysitter, probation officer,Judge etc... etc...????????????

ITS TELLING " THE STORY " AGAIN...........
( DO IT ONCE DO IT WRITE ) THEN UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE!

Ok, heres the outline, and you make however you want, but you need to understand that the better you " build " this the easier it is to get your point across, and ANYONE who will ever be involved in Advocacy for your child will find this a crucial peice.

IE: If you identified a need for your difficult child to learn to tie his shoes, and it was ignored by the MET team, and he trips and falls, then you have a sound position for Liability.
(very simplistic example and I AM NOT saying you should be looking around every corner for a lawsuit... it just shows that you properly shared your concern )

WHAT IT DOES IS PROVIDE FOCUS... A ROADMAP, AND A GUIDE TO YOUR CHILD, ALBEIT THE TWILIGHT ZONE!!!

Cover:

Parent Report and assesment for difficult child 12-15-98

Prepared with love by:

Mr. & Mrs. difficult child

* scan a picture for cover if you like... keep the focus on the difficult child!!!!

1. Intro to difficult child
* describe what your child looks like who he is, what he likes favorite cereal, toys & activities. general positive overveiw of your child. By all means use humor here...

ex: favorite hobby... driving parents nuts etc.

* try to make it humorous as it will entice reader to read on.

2. INTRO TO PARENTS AND HOME

* who he lives with, and what your like, your jobs, interests etc. Sibs, pets, extended family supports ( gma ) Walk them thru your home, when I did mine, i introduced each fam member, then at the end described difficult child'S relationship with that person.
If you have concerns about your home, bring them up only slightly here. Your values... this is good place to include your values, church, community involvement volunteer work etc.

difficult child'S room, describe that, and who sleeps in there, and if he is alone cause he has to be, breifly explain why he has to be alone.

In describing sibs, I told about their awards, grades, challenges, etc.
Pets... this is good time to bring up concerns about the way difficult child has treated pets.

3. MEDICAL HISTORY

* PREGNANCY/ADOPTION/BIRTH/TODDLER/any and all concerns. CHIX POX, infections stitches, broken bones, a chronological, go straight to medications who prescribed / how much.

4. SOCIAL HISTORY

* Ok you may get squeemish here, I really dont like talking about my divorce, whom i lived with etc. But they will ask, and this is your chance to present it in the light in which you veiwed it, without their judgemental interpretations.
Many times they twist what you tell them in their reports to insinuate that the problem's are in the home. So be honest, and tell them how you resolved any negative experiences.
Talk about how your child developed socially, was he eager to play with other toddlers, how does he do with neighbor kids, at church, at school etc. ( Matt cant name any classmates.. and has never been invited to a friends home) sigh.........

5. WHATS WORKED / WHATS FAILED

* When my difficult child does this we have done this... this worked / this didnt. This is what works now! In second grade his teacher was like this, and he responded well to this. In third grade the teacher did this and it was a disaster. We used a point system for chores, and it failed because. We tried Dr. Greens method in dealing with________ and it worked great the first 3 times.
If you are absolutely baffled by a particular behavior, be sure you discuss it and explain that you have no idea how to address it.

6. MAJOR CONCERNS

Today / tommorow / next week /year 5& 10 years from now.

( I started this section with " Well serial killer comes to mind..." )LOL

* I am concerned that my difficult child will not receive an appropriate education this year because....

I am concerned that he will be in jail because...

By not providing him an appropriate education he will be affected next year...
in 5 years.......
in 10 years......
in Life.......

7. STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESS'S

* In the home........
At school...............
In church.............
In the community.........
difficult child with himself.............

I listed 3 examples in each except home & school, this is where I really went into detail about the two. And as you may guess the weakness's were longer in the home/school stting than strengths, I was not concerned however cause it is an accurate veiw.

8. RESOURCES FOUND/TRIED/FAILED
* These are the things you have found, tried or wish to try and why, and want the district to consider in providing FAPE. Medcial services, residential, summer wilderness camps, one on one aide.

Vocational programs, physical therapy etc.
Alternatives to restraints, Bio feedback, music therapy, art therapy.
If your difficult child does not have freinds, ask for a summer camp ( Over night ) to expose him to positive peer relationships.

If he gets kicked off the bus all the time, ask for a 1 on 1 aide.

NOTE: if your easy child is suffering as a result of all thats happening, ask for parent training and counseling, ask that you and your entire family be trained in preventing / deflecting assaults. Also sensitivity/disabilty awareness training for family/friends/neighbors/ dog!!!( kiddin about the dog, but they should get respite too.)

IDEA 97 OPENS MANY DOORS, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO ASK...!

9. BEST WAYS TO COMMUNICATE

* this is where you tell the school how you wish to be contacted, how you can best work together, such as conveinent times and locations for meetings, phone calls etc.

*** IF YOU ARE GEETING IN TROUBLE FOR CALLS AT WORK, FORBID THEM TO CALL YOU THERE, AND CREATE AN ALTERNATE PLAN!!!*******

Some districts provide extra books for home, and FAX machines, to parents so that reports and homework can be sent quickly. Fax machines are an excellent way to communicate.

10. DREAMS AND GOALS

* Allow yourself to sit back and dream of the life you want with and for your difficult child, soccer, ballett, singer, spelling bee champ, college, marriage, career, cheerleader, 1st date, Prom, astronaut and parent.

How you would like your difficult child to experience life.

DONT

DO NOT SIT DOWN AND DO THIS IN ONE SITTING!!!

START IT... DO THE OUTLINE... SAVE IT.

COME BACK AND DO IT SOME MORE.

THE MEDICAL PART IS THE MOST TECHNICAL.

As things change update the report, and show the updates.

Send your report to the school and ask for a new IEP or MET, ask that they read it in advance, if thats whats in order.

Next send a copy to the other providers, such as Dr. , counselor, PO, whoever.

Be very proud of yourself for having doen such a neat thing for your child.

Well... hope you all will find this as helpful a tool as I have. Really validates your difficult child and your family.

Hugs N Love!!!

Jerri

------------------
5 kids, no medications,2.5 difficult children,Founder PRIE: Parents Rights In Education, volunteer parent advocate. 1 difficult child in prison.

What a grreat idea and resource for the future.
I can visualize my girlfriend going over in her memory the history of her two sons and their school progress, medications, etc.

I'm going to mention thiis parent report idea to her as well.

I've started a rough accumulation of stuff but haven't created "the thing" yet... will do, now that you've outlined it. Makes it easy! Thanks. Printing out now.

--------------
10yr old son, ADD, ODD, depression & anxiety

I have my first IEP meeting for difficult child (1st grader) on March 18th. I have been asking for help from the school for some time, but was never sure what to ask for. School is generally a good setting for him (except for playground, bus (especially afternoon), art & gym class. He had a major blow a couple of weeks ago with a substitute teacher, and this has helped the school see the problem. Maybe I'm not nuts after all -- although, they're still not sure.

Anyway, I was hoping to be well prepared for this meeting -- it's been a long time coming. Thanks for the outline -- I'll definitely follow it. Your ideas on the most important areas to complete first?? It seems a little overwhelming, so I want to make sure that I start with the most beneficial.

I am lucky that a strong therapist (difficult child & easy child have been seeing weekly since September) will also attend the meeting. Do you think this is a good idea?

Any additional thoughts are welcome.

------------------
Cathie
Grandmother
7yo m difficult child
8yo f easy child

Jerri

Cathie,

I suggest you start with the outline..1-10, and just go thru and make a breif outline dont even spell ck it.

simply state I will write blah balh blah here, and leave it in your word program like that.

Then go to the medical outline, cause thats the most technical. start with the birth first, and list any complications there.

Then look at immunizations/illness's and other medical events.

Then on to pharmacology... the medications tried, failed, worked, currently on.

Intro to your home should be a lil like betterhomes & gardens, do a tour...like you are inviting someone in for the first time.

How your difficult child interacts with each person... and so forth.

Hope this helps!!

Hugs N Love!!!

Jerri

------------------
5 kids, no medications,2.5 difficult children,Founder PRIE: Parents Rights In Education, volunteer parent advocate. 1 difficult child in prison.

Jeri
I completed the parent report. Using your outline, and once I got rolling, it really wasn't as difficult as I expected. Putting this in writing, really helped me to clearify my own thoughts, and I think that I have prepared a clear document for all. The process has been very satifying for me. Thank you so much for your outline. I can't tell you enough how much it has helped.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Jerri,

If you send this to me in a word document, I'll put it in a permanent place on my website.

Abbey

------------------
Site Administrator - www.conductdisorders.com
15 year old male difficult child; Conduct Disorder; no medications
You name it...we've done it.
Currently in court-ordered "boot camp."

Patty

Jerri,
Thanks for the outline. I've started to create it. I believe it will help keep everyone concentrated on the important points. I have a team meeting with the school on April 27, 1999. Last Friday April 16, 1999 I was called to the school because my difficult child was acting out. Bad language, calling the teachers names, failure to follow rules. They called me at 2:10 PM and I was there at 2:20 PM.

I felt like I was the student when I walked in the room. Each time I tried to talk and give my point of view I was cut off. When I called them on the fact that they were cutting me off they told me I was cutting them off. I really think the parent report will be a great resource for me to use when I can't get a word in edgewise. In fact I may lable it like the bible in chapters and verses so I can call off a chapter and verse to the teachers referencing my points in stead of getting cut off in mid sentence.

I love this site.

Thanks for the outline. Iam new to this site, but it looks like a good starting place. My difficult child has been suspended so many times this year, I can't count. He went to his third visit with a therapist last night and came out smiling. He did his homework without being prodded, went to school with a positive attitude. When I got to work, I called the principal to tell her of this so they could build on it , and he was already in the cube(punishing place where he is sent every day) He was sent home 15 minutes later.
I don't know what to do for next year,but I am starting on the outline.

I think this outline is a great idea. I have a lot of this information on various applications, forms, along with my notebooks. I don't know what is salvageable from the fire, but this gives me an idea where to start. I need to have something for the judge on friday, to attempt to keep my son out of the training school (he's only 12)
I have been researching all day today.

Jerri

Ptti, Pat & Tishi,

Welcome and thanks for the support.

I came up with this out line cause I was pissed that yet another " professional " I came in contact with bumbled their report and facts...

One moron a guy named Dr. Michael Ruch, of Kentwood Michigan
( psychologist ) stated that my son had "numerous biological fathers"... LOL.....he did this in his zealous attempt at trying to affix blame to me.

* I explained my relationship history to him, and even if I shared that I dated someone, he called them "father figures"... but the "biological" peice was priceless.

Any how, welcome... I promise you that upon completion of your report... YOU will be the only expert on your child.

When you deal with the "wanna-bes" you wont get intimidated.

LMK how things go for you!

Hugs N Love!!!

Jerri

------------------
5 kids, no medications,2.5 difficult children,Founder PRIE: Parents Rights In Education, volunteer parent advocate.
" sometimes all thats left is tears to honor the bond "
" I cry with honor "

Abbey

Spork Queen
Jerri...your Parent Report is now on the Articles Section of http://www.conductdisorders.com. You're an author!!

Feel free to send along anything you'd like a permanent home for.

Abbey

------------------
Site Administrator - www.conductdisorders.com
15 year old male difficult child; Conduct Disorder; no medications
You name it...we've done it.
Currently in court-ordered "boot camp."

Jerri,

Not sure if/how you want to mention this, but people need to be aware of copyrights on studio pictures. I tried to get my studio picture onto the front of the parent report using a color copier, and the copy place refused, since the studio had copyrighted the picture (copyright stamp on the back).

I know very little about copyrights, but I'm assuming this goes for scanning in studio pics as well.

------------------
koco

Megan (7 1/2) difficult child - ODD/ADHD
Katy (3) easy child

Jerri:
I just printed out several pages and am preparing to begin on a parent report. Thank you so much for the wonderful outline! Several people referred me to it from the genral board...I cannot wait to get started on it. Thanks again! You are great!!

{Hugs}
Barb

------------------
13 year old adopted difficult child
married to husband for 20 years

Blondie

Jerri-- Honey, I am gonna try to get Craig to do parent report on both of his difficult children. I will help him; have done NUMEROUS (seems like endless lol) versions of P.Rpt myself over the years for Rotten Kid when he was still under 18 -- but didn't know what to call it; it was required by several placements he was in ( pretty enlightened of them).
LMK if you can think of anything else I can do/suggest to this family to help them get a handle on their situation -- the 14 y.o. I believe is gonna have to go into residential cause the parents are crisp and they cannot keep her safe (witness that right now she is a runaway and nobody knows if she is even alive.). They heve had SS involvement for years and only make temporary progress till kids (especially Jen) figure out new power trip.)
You are a gem. I think we'll keep you!
smile.gif

Love, Blondie