Heartbroken seeking support and advice

Roxanne@74

Hello and Happy New Year to all of you, fellow parents of difficult adult children. I found this forum on accident, but I am so glad I did! After reading so many stories posted by parents who hurt, my heart goes out to each and every one of you.

My abusive husband and I divorced over 20 years ago. I had to make my escape when husband was out of state, otherwise, he would not have allowed me to leave with our son, who was still very young (he held him hostage during arguments, so I figured as much). So, I had my 18 months old in my arms when I entered shelter for battered women. I had no friends - my ex made paid them to testify in court on his behalf (some friends, huh), no family and nobody to turn to. I was afraid to leave the shelter for the first couple of weeks because I fully expected my ex-marine husband to shoot me on the street. I won't bore you with the details, but we went through the system and came out on the other side about 9-12 months later. I went to school and upon graduation started a job for only 10.50/hour 45 minutes away. That was a year of 2002 and post 9/11. Fast forward 4 years, I bought my own house because I wanted a normal life and more than anything, I wanted to give my son a home. My divorce lawyer called me a survivor.

My son had all he needed. I made sure of that. I was a computer tech and I liked to have the latest and greatest in information technology, so I bought him expensive electronics. My ex and I divorced on December 13th, 2001 - my personal independence day and the day when I was no longer bound by any ties to that man. I wanted my son to still have a father figuring that if our marriage didn't work out, doesn't mean my son should never know his dad. Against my attorney's advise, I gave my ex 50% custody of our son. Long story short, he screwed himself out of that custody and after a several long years of legal battle and surviving as a single mother living on a single income, I was granted a full custody of our son. When my son turned 12, he wanted to go live with his father (that is the age where child can decide for himself) and because he thought I was too demanding or whatever, he decided to move out. He spent total of 4-5 years living with dad. Dad was easy on him - no chores, no demands. Make your own sandwich. So, he spent all his free time playing video games (shocker, right?) Until one day (fast forward to 2016) I get a call that my son got expelled from school. He has always been a very sharp kid. His kindergarten teacher even suggested to test him as gifted and talented. But despite of his talents, he didn't do too well in school. So, at some point and with-o consulting with me, his dad decided to take our son to the doctor for presumed depression. As a result, my teenage son was prescribed antidepressants that made him lethargic, so he slept in class, Short while later he was expelled for failing school. Of course, I dropped everything, went and extracted him from that situation and brought him home with me. Loved him, took care of him... About a year later, he threw a fit when I told him straight up about his entitled unappreciative and abusive behavior and he stormed out. He was 17 and still in High School. So, back to his dad he went (he played us against each other growing up - that's for sure). Then another year later he decided he wanted to move back to Denver metro (his dad lives on the ranch 2.5 hours drive and too far away from the city). I again, for the 3rd time took him in. Saying it was a struggle to get him finish high school, it would be saying nothing at all, but between the school principal whom I will forever be grateful and myself, my son graduated with HS diploma in 2018. He worked a few jobs delivering pizza, bartending, etc. until Covid hit and the restaurant he worked out gone out of business. Once again, wanting to provide a home for my son, I bought a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo where we moved in March of 2020. It was a struggle to deal with one another in close quarters during Covid (I worked from home and supported us). When Covid was over, my son was still playing easy child games all day and all night, (he'd sleep during the day and play all night), no job, not going to school, but by then he was already 22. I struggled. Though, now with Masters degree and a 6 digit salary working for one of the most reputable engineering and construction companies in the country, 2 bedroom condo in a highly sought after neighborhood of Denver metro, I was stuck with this overgrown man child, who was no help in any sense of that word. After much struggle, back and forth, he joined the Army and I couldn't be more proud. He did really well (being as smart as he is, he scored high enough on ASVAB to get into intel). Today, he is 24 and is serving in the Army reserves. He came back from advanced training in June. It is December and yes, you guessed it, he still lives with me and not doing much for himself or to help around the house or with the bills. He barely gets by on his military pay (one weekend a month) to pay his bills, he abuses his body and mind by not taking care of himself and he talks back when I try to explain that he is not a child anymore and he needs to have responsibilities if he wants to continue to stay with me.

He is 6'2'' smart, attractive, distinguished Army PFC. He says he wants to go to school to commission and make military his lifelong career, but he doesn't shower but 2-3 times a month, doesn't brush his teeth, doesn't exercise (it's a miracle he passed his AFT), refuses to help around the house, plays easy child games with his friends (he is very social) all night and sleeps all day and HE MOUTHES OFF TO ME. He ignores me when I try to tell him he has to get a job (even part time) to be able to buy his own groceries. I said I will teach him how to cook. He applied at a couple of places (he is very picky) and when he wasn't hired, I guess he decided he is not going to get a job after all and continue to live on his military pay. Here I am this many years later and age almost 50, still in the same predicament having a young buck living at home useless as can be and disrespectful. Inflation is the highest it's been in 40 years, Colorado living is beyond unaffordable, so this kid taking advantage of his mother acting as if he has a choice? I tolerated his behavior for such a long time and folks, I just have no more to give. I feel like an empty well. Last Tuesday I came home to a pile of dishes (he attempted to cook) and all the groceries I brought home 3 days prior is eaten. I had a meltdown. I told him that I am tired of his abuse and him using me for a place to stay. I said he had 2 weeks to figure our his living arrangements and move the hell out!!! When he realized I wasn't joking, he decided he wasn't going to wait 2 weeks and left the house. I don't know where he spent the night, but the next morning, he came home (figured that I'd be at work, but I worked from home that day), grabbed some stuff and left with-o saying a word. I haven't heard from him sense. Just for the record, when he left the house, he was wearing the sneakers I bought when he had no money, the vintage shirt (I bought him for X-mas) - you can't find those in stores anymore and he really wanted it, pair military utility pants (I bought 2 pair 80 bucks a pop), coat I bought for him while back. He drove away in the 20K Subaru I gifted to him when he needed a reliable transportation after his dad's Ford Fiesta kept breaking down on him. So, yes, I am sorry that I blew up, I mishandled the situation, but what the heck do you do when your grown child doesn't want to listen to you when you try to set some boundaries, expectations that are ignored? I never wanted to kick him out of the house - he is all I have, but folks, I feel relived nevertheless. I guess I reached my breaking point, but I also know I raised him right (he doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs) and with his military training, he will be ok. Hopefully, being on his own and maybe sleeping on his friend's couch somewhere, eventually will make him realize how good he had it living with mom. Until then, I need a serious break from him. He owes me 3K which I don't want back. I told him to use that money to get himself situated while he is getting a reality check and a major attitude adjustment.

Nomad

Staff member
Welcome and wow…your story reads like a novel, NOT due to length, but due to the interesting detail, ups and downs, ins and outs and clear cut strength/fortitude.

Personally, I’m not so sure your blowing up was so harmful. There ARE consequences to repeated irresponsible behaviors, disrespect and crossing boundaries. And , well, I guess he discovered them…getting kicked out of his home and badly damaging (at least for now) his relationship with his mother. In a way, you set an EXAMPLE. A good one. He pushed and pushed and, well…he pushed his way OUT the door.

I agree…his military training plus his NON use of drugs are extraordinary positives.

I personally would be open to supporting him a LITTLE in certain ways IF his attitude changes a LOT …for example…he wishes to (sincerely) get short term therapy or perhaps short term training in a trade for example. But he likely would be entitled to gov’t assistance anyway to pay for that. And if so, he would be wise to explore that.

Perhaps some additional training/education related to computers or technology. With a beefed up resume, he likely could get a fairly high paying job that would certainly boost his SEL ESTEEM…where perhaps some of his issues lie.

Now that he is out of the home and you finally have some quiet and peace, I would relish and cherish it and would big time BIG time HESITATE to let him back in. Nooo need for guilt!!!! Consider that 3k a generous starting gift because enough is enough.

I wouldn’t feel guilty one bit. Hopefully, in due time, reality will hit him and he will figure it all out. Blessings.

Copabanana

Until then, I need a serious break from him.
Your story is exemplary.

You don't say it upfront, but you feel guilt, it seems. Why?

It's time for your son to live independently. I would very much suggest that this not be a break but a transition to his being responsible for himself so that he lives in such a way that he can live as he wants, and so the consequences of his choices accrue to him, not to you.

I agree with Nomad. You are only stuck with him as long as you choose. He has had enough to launch for a long time. A car, military benefits, a trade, etc.

It is you who has to change, not him. You don't have to tolerate him. You don't have to support him. You don't have to buy him expensive things like a car or anything else. Your son will not change vis-a-vis you until you change. The ball is in your court.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Crayola14

Showering only 2-3 times a month and not brushing? That is mind boggling to me. If I don’t shower twice a day, I can’t stand it. Is there any explanation or reason? Do his teeth or gums hurt when brushing? Is his skin sensitive, etc.? I just can’t understand. Not showering seems to be a common problem with young men of all ages. Has he ever had a girlfriend? Surely that would motivate him to shower and brush daily. That is something that would make me loose my :censored2:. I would truly have a meltdown over that. I don’t know how you have tolerated that since he came back from the military.

Roxanne@74

Welcome and wow…your story reads like a novel, NOT due to length, but due to the interesting detail, ups and downs, ins and outs and clear cut strength/fortitude.

Personally, I’m not so sure your blowing up was so harmful. There ARE consequences to repeated irresponsible behaviors, disrespect and crossing boundaries. And , well, I guess he discovered them…getting kicked out of his home and badly damaging (at least for now) his relationship with his mother. In a way, you set an EXAMPLE. A good one. He pushed and pushed and, well…he pushed his way OUT the door.

I agree…his military training plus his NON use of drugs are extraordinary positives.

I personally would be open to supporting him a LITTLE in certain ways IF his attitude changes a LOT …for example…he wishes to (sincerely) get short term therapy or perhaps short term training in a trade for example. But he likely would be entitled to gov’t assistance anyway to pay for that. And if so, he would be wise to explore that.

Perhaps some additional training/education related to computers or technology. With a beefed up resume, he likely could get a fairly high paying job that would certainly boost his SEL ESTEEM…where perhaps some of his issues lie.

Now that he is out of the home and you finally have some quiet and peace, I would relish and cherish it and would big time BIG time HESITATE to let him back in. Nooo need for guilt!!!! Consider that 3k a generous starting gift because enough is enough.

I wouldn’t feel guilty one bit. Hopefully, in due time, reality will hit him and he will figure it all out. Blessings
Thank you so much for your support, Nomad. Reading other's stories make me realize that my problem is really not a problem at all, so a little embarrassed to complain about it. Sorry for the long story, which I never told anyone. After son left, the words started pouring out of my very soul. I felt guilty kicking my own child out on the streets in the middle of the Colorado winter, but you are absolutely right, I have given him everything and more up to this point - all he needs to do is to spread his wings and fly. Funny birds push their young out of the nest to encourage them to figure out how to fly on their own. Last year was extraordinarily tough even for a tough bird like me - my 84 y.o. mom who is at the end of life has turned for the worse and I, as a sole care taker was feeling little tired of life bouncing between doctors trying to figure our her opioids dosage and multiple pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. Somehow I expected things to lighten up when son came back from training. He wants to commission, so I hope and pray he sticks to his guns and enters ROTC this year. My 2 adult step-daugters from previous marriage and son's big step sisters are keeping an eye on their little brother staying in touch with him (warms my heart) and telling me not to worry. They say he needs to grow up BIG TIME!

Roxanne@74

Your story is exemplary.

You don't say it upfront, but you feel guilt, it seems. Why?

It's time for your son to live independently. I would very much suggest that this not be a break but a transition to his being responsible for himself so that he lives in such a way that he can live as he wants, and so the consequences of his choices accrue to him, not to you.

I agree with Nomad. You are only stuck with him as long as you choose. He has had enough to launch for a long time. A car, military benefits, a trade, etc.

It is you who has to change, not him. You don't have to tolerate him. You don't have to support him. You don't have to buy him expensive things like a car or anything else. Your son will not change vis-a-vis you until you change. The ball is in your court.

Welcome to the forum.
Hi, Copabanana: thank you so much for your encouragement! As time goes on, I am starting to feel better about the situation. Felt super guilty because I never imagined kicking him out - I wanted him to leave on his own when he was ready, but I think majority of us knows our kids need little kick in a butt to get things going in some instances. You are spot on - I need to change my attitude. Being a helicopter parent that I am, I have always enabled him, which is not helpful. It is very true that making his problems mine isn't teaching him how real life works. In a sense I myself created this "monster". It is super hard to stop being that helicopter parent though because I am a perfectionist with a hint of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) myself. I know it has always been hard for him to live up to my standards and he admitted once that he knows he should be doing more for himself at this stage, so self esteem issues are definitely at play here. Also, it doesn't help that he has always been lazy (the opposite of me). Depression is a real struggle in the military being exposed to things that we as civilians only see on the news or in the movies. Stopping his work out routine and neglecting his body and mind by escaping in the virtual world is a coping mechanism. Less than ideal but at least he doesn't resort to alcohol like many do. Worried about him surviving on his own, but like you said, the ball is in my court. I need to stay strong. Inviting him back will start things all over again.

Roxanne@74

Showering only 2-3 times a month and not brushing? That is mind boggling to me. If I don’t shower twice a day, I can’t stand it. Is there any explanation or reason? Do his teeth or gums hurt when brushing? Is his skin sensitive, etc.? I just can’t understand. Not showering seems to be a common problem with young men of all ages. Has he ever had a girlfriend? Surely that would motivate him to shower and brush daily. That is something that would make me loose my :censored2:. I would truly have a meltdown over that. I don’t know how you have tolerated that since he came back from the military.
Hi, Crayola 14: Thank you so much for the comments. You are right - I also think once he starts dating, his hygiene will change. He says it hurts to brush his teeth, but of course it does - his gums are "protesting". He doesn't mind the dentist though, so at least that. No, he thinks the whole himself is "sensitive" not just his skin and he thinks his mother is way too hard for his "sensitive" self. It has been mentally and emotionally draining to raise a child on my own, but I was supposed to be done raising him when he turned 18, right? This time I am doubling down and watching from the distance. Of course, although divorced, both mom and dad are standing by to ensure soft "landing". Honestly though, he is a man (he will be 25 this year), not a kid. You should see him in his OCP's - he looks huge but such a baby inside. Must grow up immediately.

Crayola14

I’ve learned during stressful, uncertain times that keeping the hands busy with needlework and focusing on your job really helps. Take a knitting class or do cross stitch. Time seems to fly and it’s relaxing. Keeping the hands busy is very therapeutic. Cross stitching is a cheap hobby that doesn’t require much skill.

newstart

Hello and Happy New Year to all of you, fellow parents of difficult adult children. I found this forum on accident, but I am so glad I did! After reading so many stories posted by parents who hurt, my heart goes out to each and every one of you.

My abusive husband and I divorced over 20 years ago. I had to make my escape when husband was out of state, otherwise, he would not have allowed me to leave with our son, who was still very young (he held him hostage during arguments, so I figured as much). So, I had my 18 months old in my arms when I entered shelter for battered women. I had no friends - my ex made paid them to testify in court on his behalf (some friends, huh), no family and nobody to turn to. I was afraid to leave the shelter for the first couple of weeks because I fully expected my ex-marine husband to shoot me on the street. I won't bore you with the details, but we went through the system and came out on the other side about 9-12 months later. I went to school and upon graduation started a job for only 10.50/hour 45 minutes away. That was a year of 2002 and post 9/11. Fast forward 4 years, I bought my own house because I wanted a normal life and more than anything, I wanted to give my son a home. My divorce lawyer called me a survivor.

My son had all he needed. I made sure of that. I was a computer tech and I liked to have the latest and greatest in information technology, so I bought him expensive electronics. My ex and I divorced on December 13th, 2001 - my personal independence day and the day when I was no longer bound by any ties to that man. I wanted my son to still have a father figuring that if our marriage didn't work out, doesn't mean my son should never know his dad. Against my attorney's advise, I gave my ex 50% custody of our son. Long story short, he screwed himself out of that custody and after a several long years of legal battle and surviving as a single mother living on a single income, I was granted a full custody of our son. When my son turned 12, he wanted to go live with his father (that is the age where child can decide for himself) and because he thought I was too demanding or whatever, he decided to move out. He spent total of 4-5 years living with dad. Dad was easy on him - no chores, no demands. Make your own sandwich. So, he spent all his free time playing video games (shocker, right?) Until one day (fast forward to 2016) I get a call that my son got expelled from school. He has always been a very sharp kid. His kindergarten teacher even suggested to test him as gifted and talented. But despite of his talents, he didn't do too well in school. So, at some point and with-o consulting with me, his dad decided to take our son to the doctor for presumed depression. As a result, my teenage son was prescribed antidepressants that made him lethargic, so he slept in class, Short while later he was expelled for failing school. Of course, I dropped everything, went and extracted him from that situation and brought him home with me. Loved him, took care of him... About a year later, he threw a fit when I told him straight up about his entitled unappreciative and abusive behavior and he stormed out. He was 17 and still in High School. So, back to his dad he went (he played us against each other growing up - that's for sure). Then another year later he decided he wanted to move back to Denver metro (his dad lives on the ranch 2.5 hours drive and too far away from the city). I again, for the 3rd time took him in. Saying it was a struggle to get him finish high school, it would be saying nothing at all, but between the school principal whom I will forever be grateful and myself, my son graduated with HS diploma in 2018. He worked a few jobs delivering pizza, bartending, etc. until Covid hit and the restaurant he worked out gone out of business. Once again, wanting to provide a home for my son, I bought a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo where we moved in March of 2020. It was a struggle to deal with one another in close quarters during Covid (I worked from home and supported us). When Covid was over, my son was still playing easy child games all day and all night, (he'd sleep during the day and play all night), no job, not going to school, but by then he was already 22. I struggled. Though, now with Masters degree and a 6 digit salary working for one of the most reputable engineering and construction companies in the country, 2 bedroom condo in a highly sought after neighborhood of Denver metro, I was stuck with this overgrown man child, who was no help in any sense of that word. After much struggle, back and forth, he joined the Army and I couldn't be more proud. He did really well (being as smart as he is, he scored high enough on ASVAB to get into intel). Today, he is 24 and is serving in the Army reserves. He came back from advanced training in June. It is December and yes, you guessed it, he still lives with me and not doing much for himself or to help around the house or with the bills. He barely gets by on his military pay (one weekend a month) to pay his bills, he abuses his body and mind by not taking care of himself and he talks back when I try to explain that he is not a child anymore and he needs to have responsibilities if he wants to continue to stay with me.

He is 6'2'' smart, attractive, distinguished Army PFC. He says he wants to go to school to commission and make military his lifelong career, but he doesn't shower but 2-3 times a month, doesn't brush his teeth, doesn't exercise (it's a miracle he passed his AFT), refuses to help around the house, plays easy child games with his friends (he is very social) all night and sleeps all day and HE MOUTHES OFF TO ME. He ignores me when I try to tell him he has to get a job (even part time) to be able to buy his own groceries. I said I will teach him how to cook. He applied at a couple of places (he is very picky) and when he wasn't hired, I guess he decided he is not going to get a job after all and continue to live on his military pay. Here I am this many years later and age almost 50, still in the same predicament having a young buck living at home useless as can be and disrespectful. Inflation is the highest it's been in 40 years, Colorado living is beyond unaffordable, so this kid taking advantage of his mother acting as if he has a choice? I tolerated his behavior for such a long time and folks, I just have no more to give. I feel like an empty well. Last Tuesday I came home to a pile of dishes (he attempted to cook) and all the groceries I brought home 3 days prior is eaten. I had a meltdown. I told him that I am tired of his abuse and him using me for a place to stay. I said he had 2 weeks to figure our his living arrangements and move the hell out!!! When he realized I wasn't joking, he decided he wasn't going to wait 2 weeks and left the house. I don't know where he spent the night, but the next morning, he came home (figured that I'd be at work, but I worked from home that day), grabbed some stuff and left with-o saying a word. I haven't heard from him sense. Just for the record, when he left the house, he was wearing the sneakers I bought when he had no money, the vintage shirt (I bought him for X-mas) - you can't find those in stores anymore and he really wanted it, pair military utility pants (I bought 2 pair 80 bucks a pop), coat I bought for him while back. He drove away in the 20K Subaru I gifted to him when he needed a reliable transportation after his dad's Ford Fiesta kept breaking down on him. So, yes, I am sorry that I blew up, I mishandled the situation, but what the heck do you do when your grown child doesn't want to listen to you when you try to set some boundaries, expectations that are ignored? I never wanted to kick him out of the house - he is all I have, but folks, I feel relived nevertheless. I guess I reached my breaking point, but I also know I raised him right (he doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs) and with his military training, he will be ok. Hopefully, being on his own and maybe sleeping on his friend's couch somewhere, eventually will make him realize how good he had it living with mom. Until then, I need a serious break from him. He owes me 3K which I don't want back. I told him to use that money to get himself situated while he is getting a reality check and a major attitude adjustment.
Welcome Roxanne. I read each word and felt your pain and frustration. I remember when my daughter was between the ages of 22-28 she would hardly bathe. While in grade school, middle school, high school she would take a shower everyday. If I was planning on going somewhere with her I told her that if I pick her up and she did not shower I was not going with her. Somedays she smelled so bad I had to ask her to shower. Between my house and her house and all the gyms we belong to I counted 45 showers that she has access to. I asked her why she quit taking a shower and she never answered me but I believe it was depression. Every now and again I will notice that my daughter looks as if she has not taken a shower for a while. She works out at the gym and sweats easily. At her age of almost 42 I try to not say anything but if we go somewhere I tell her I will not go unless she jumps in the shower. I noticed since her creepy boyfriend moved out she showers more regular. When we lived in Europe many people did not shower everyday, here in the states most of us shower everyday. I have the most beautiful outside shower built in my backyard. The birds and wild animals serenade me while out there. My daughter has showered in there a few times and has really enjoyed it. I just hope your son will grow out of it soon.