Regional treats

mstang67chic

Going Green
To echo someone else (somewhat)......um........corn. For Indiana in general I guess the only thing I can think of is Tenderloins. And, uh, well, cows. And pigs. lol

As for my area specifically, there is a drive in hot dog stand the next county over that is an institution and has been there for probably 60 years if not more. It's basically a BK stand but they've put their own touch on it over the years and it is AWESOME. My mom calls me every spring after it's opened for the season and torments me with the announcement that she went and what they had. Bag. Also in the same county is a little bitty small town bakery that is also an institution of the area. I've grown up on their stuff and no one, I mean no one, has better doughnuts. Same county (I don't stray far) is a yearly festival that's been around for over 70 years. There has always been a particular fish stand that is tradition for when you go to the fair and is incredible.

Fortunately, my supper just got here so I'm going to stop here. I'm starving! lol

dreamer

LOL-used to have summer property in INdiana.
my stepdads family was from there. years ago there was a TV commmercial here for Indiana Beach that had a jingle song that said....theres more than Corrrrnnn in Indiannnnnnna. ...at Indiana Beachhhhhhhhh. LOL.
Yes, you guys made me hungry. I am having fish fry, cole slaw and fries. (usually have it with potato pancakes tho, LOL)

dreamer

and yes I love fries in vinegar...or in salad dressing...or tartaar sauce.....or dipped in a milk shake or hotfudge sundae......or A-1. or BBQ.
LOL
truth is I hardly ever eat fries, they are not my fav, but they ARE good all kinda of wways

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Dreamer, my favorite way to dip (crispy!) fries is in my homemade dill pickle tartar sauce. YUMMY!!!

Suz

tiredmommy

Fries are popular with ketchup, malt vinegar or even gravy around here. As a matter of fact, most family restaurants will serve white rice with gravy if requested. :smile:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
TM, in high school (during the dinosaur era) it was "cool" to order fries with gravy.

History repeats itself. :grin:

Suz

Lothlorien

Suz, I love french fries with malt vinegar....I have malt vinegar in my fridge right now. That used to be a Jersey thing too, but not so much anymore.

Diner food....3 am, French fries with gravy or cheese....yum
Diner food in NJ is super! NJ is the Diner capitol of the world.

dreamer

YUM YES! fries and gravy. or sour cream, or cheez whiz......

I had mine tonite, some with lemon on them, some with tartar sauce and some with ketchup, ROFL.

Kathy813

Staff member
Sweet tea
cornbread
grits
fried chicken
fried okra

Now, I grew up in New York so I don't eat any of the above except the fried chicken.

Give me a bagel, soft pretzel, a slice of NY cheese pizza, or a black and white cookie and I'm a happy girl. :grin:

~Kathy

kris

<font color="blue">YES, jersey is the diner king of the world. there is nothing better than a NJ diner breakfast....any time of day.

georgia sweet tea is possibly the best thing i've ever tasted. another southern thing is boiled peanuts (blech, blech, blech!).

kris </font>

fedup

Strawberries- have had them already this year!
Citrus fruits
Key lime pie
Pecan pie
Coconut shrimp
Chilled boiled shrimp
Fresh asparagus
Tomatoes
Chocolate covered or spiced pecan halves

Otherwise, most are not regional, but home recipes.

Almost forgot:
Angell & Phelps chocolate
Heavenly cheesecake
Pralines

mstang67chic

Going Green
Also remembered about a particular restaurant we have in Indiana. It's in the Middlebury area in NW Indiana and is in the heart of Amish country in that part of the state. My aunt used to have a lake cottage in that area and myself and some of my cousins spent alot of time there as kids. Our aunt would take us all out occasionally to this restaurant. It's all homecooked food and you could get family dinners. Two huge platters of meat, two veggies, mountains of real mashed potatoes, all types of rolls and breads........sooooooooo wonderful. Then there were all of the homemade desserts AND they had a little shop on site where you could buy their pies, candies (they had a homemade version of Andes mints that were incredible). Plus there were also shops in the area that sold Amish made products such as quilts and other linens. It's still in business although I haven't been there in probably 20 years. When we picked difficult child up for the first time from his then foster mom, she lived right around the corner from this place. I almost hijacked husband's driving so we could go there but he wouldn't let me. If anyone from Southern Michigan or Northern Illinois wants to know the place (if you don't already), pm me and I'll tell you the name. It is the most incredible food! (er.....at least it was 20 years ago! )

On_Call

We have regional Maple Syrup that is soooo good.

Also, our region is seeing an increase in, hic, the wine industry!! Vineyards are beginning to pop up in recent years and the local wine, I have to say, is tasty!! :smile:

Kathy813

Staff member
kris,

When easy child's softball team traveled to a tournament in PA, the girls asked for sweet tea at a restaurant. The waiter looked at them and said, "That's what sugar is for. You add it yourself."

We had to explain that sweet tea is not the same when you add the sugar after it is already made.

Here in GA, you get a choice of sweet tea or unsweetened tea.

We can always tell when we have left the south because the choice stops. Oh, and you can't get grits north of the Mason-Dixon line ~ or at least real grits. husband once ordered them up north and got a congealed lump of something ~ we never did figure out what it was.

:rofl:

~Kathy

Sue C

Cheese (you've seen all those cheese head hats at Packer games)
Brats (that's a sausage, not a naughty kid--haha)
Fish Fry (deep fried fish and french fries)
Fudge (mostly Up North Wisconsin)
Beer (so they say; I don't drink it)

I'm hungry now....especially for some fudge!
Sue

ScentofCedar

These are Wisconsin things, though we are in Florida, now.

MAPLE SYRUP! :laugh:

I only learned about this after we moved out to the Wisconsin wilderness. There, when the sap begins running in the Spring, they tap the trees and boil the sap down into syrup over an outdoor firepit. It takes something like three days, I think.

WEAK COFFEE: Weak, black coffee is drunk all day. I did not grow accustomed to strong coffee until I married husband.

Home made breads, both yeast and quick.

Thick, rich stews and chilis ~ but no chili powder!

Bratwurst ~ I agree with that one! All kinds of sausages, really.

A fun thread ~ it was fun to think about all those foods!

Barbara

Lothlorien

Kathy,
Just so you know, the Mason Dixon line actually runs through Southern NJ. I like grits. It's similar to Polenta and I grew up with that and grits. My uncle was from the south (I lived with my aunt and uncle when I was young). He made grits and he made the best darn biscuits I've ever eaten. He also used to make rice pilaf. He made the biscuits and the pilaf with beer.

donna723

I would never even try this because it sounds totally NASTY to me, but many of my co-workers go into the raptures over this! They take a piece of homemade cornbread and crumble it into a glass, then they pour buttermilk :tongue: over it and eat it with a spoon! It must be one of those "acquired tastes"

:smile:

Now does that sound nasty, or what! I guess if you could handle the buttermilk ... but it always grossed me out, the way it makes those disgusting little streaks down the side of the glass! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: