Regional treats

tinamarie1

I can't believe I am the only one from Louisiana that has posted! Some of ours are (and keep in mind we are in North LA, so not really cajun country)

Crawfish boiled in crab boil with whole new potatoes and corn on the cob(the stands are going up all over town right now)
Cajun boiled peanuts ( i looooveee them!)
Fried pickles
Tamales (i know, strange for LA)
Fried alligator (tastes like chicken but really tender)
turnip greens (my new favorite)
Pralines

p.s......i cant wait to move back to florida I MISS fresh boiled crabs and shrimp!!!
4 more months!

dreamer

LOL I have never had buttermilk.

My dad is from southwest rural MN. My mom is from chicago suburbs, my stepdad from rural Indiana near the Amish, my 2nd stepdad from tobaccco farms in KY. My husband mom from depression era rural alabama transplanted to mountains of VA. My father in law from Boston.
My mom all my growing up years and then me from age 12 till 32 worked in chicago suburb Greek owned coffeeshops. - Breakfast, lunch, dinner, salad bars, flaming greek cheese (Saganaki), gyros, ouzo etc....YUM! I think until I was 35 I ate just about every meal on non holidays in those restaurants.

Our area has Carsons Ribs, and Portillos Hot Dogs and Ginos East Pizza. Rosatis is awesome pizza. Vaughns is incredible broasted chicken. We have outstanding Italian Beef (I love italian beef, did not like any philly cheesesteak I tried, I also did not like any hotdogs I ate out east) Elis Cheesecake. Brachs candy. We have Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins ice cream and Krispy Kremes (over rated or maybe I OD'ed)
Culvers.
At home Tuesday is Prince Spaghetti day, always. Friday is out for fish fry. We LOVE turkey. and tuna casserole and Mac and Cheese, homemade, baked, or even Kraft out of a box. Meatloaf...smoked :censored2: ans spinach, corn beef and cabbage. Pot Roast........salmon patties, chicken pot pie (with pie crust not noodles) I MISS Magic Pan Creperie.....YUM! There was one at Woodfield Mall.
I make rolled and cut sugar cookies personally for any holiday or special event, cut in shapes to fit the theme and painstakingly decorated. Personally I hate jello.

Becuz of the melting pot from which I came and husband came......I really am not SURE just exactly WHAT is northern IL chicaago suburb fare, LOL. I love roasted corn YUM YUM in summer the farmers sell it roadside.....I love bratwurst at the county fair, my kids love funnel cakes. My mom loved elephant ears.
My dad loved pickled pigs feet. My son eats almost only oscar meyer hot dogs. No bun. with ketchup.
I am not crazy about steak. I HATE prime rib. I do not like crab legs.
LOL.
I eat my meat WELL DONE.
I like all you can eat buffets. I love to have breakfast any time of day or nite. BUT I am not crazy about pancakes at all.and if you fry me some eggs, the white HAS to be cooked.....I like the yolk soft. If the white is soft, I gag and cannot eat.

My father was a fisherman and a hunter. I like fish fine, but do not like wild game.

You guys made me hungry. LOL

Sara PA

[ QUOTE ]

Chicken corn soup

[/ QUOTE ]

No noodles???? :shocked:

[ QUOTE ]
Pecan pie around here is pronounced peeeeeeeeeecun pie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pea-can in Berks County

Funnel cake. It's all over now, but it's ours!

Potato filling -- stir the unbaked turkey stuffing and the mashed potatoes (make them really thin) together and bake in a cassarole with some turkey drippings on top.

Sara PA

Naturally, we call it chicken corn noodle soup but I've heard of chicken corn soup. I always wonder if the noodles were omitted just from the name or the soup.

Mine usually turns out to be chicken corn noodle stew...

jamrobmic

[ QUOTE ]
I would never even try this because it sounds totally NASTY to me, but many of my co-workers go into the raptures over this! They take a piece of homemade cornbread and crumble it into a glass, then they pour buttermilk :tongue: over it and eat it with a spoon! It must be one of those "acquired tastes"

[/ QUOTE ]

husband (who grew up in northern Alabama) loves this. Sometimes he chops up a fresh tomato into the mess as well. The buttermilk has to be the high fat kind, too, which is getting very hard to find. And the cornbread can't have sugar in it-he says sugar makes it taste like cake. I'm with you, though, I can't stand the thought of drinking buttermilk.

I don't think we have anything around here that's native to this area, but husband did introduce me to the kind of barbeque he grew up on in Alabama (especially Big Bob Gibson's). Every time we visit his family, we bring some back.

dreamer

yeah I do not like sugar in my cornbread either, -I especially like my cornbread batter in my corn stick pans. :) and very little flour.

Crabby fries!!!! from Chicky and Pete's!!! with that white sauce for dipping(I don't know what it is, but this is the best thing I have ever eaten in my life! This is sold at the Eagles home games (and the main reason I'll freeze).-Alyssa

Marguerite

OK, you lot. You asked for it. Hmm, Australian food...

Culturally, we're a different mixture. We have some British traditions such as CHIPS with vinegar (chips are fatter than fries - poor, malnourished weedy things). Chips with sour cream and sweet chili sauce. A lot of Indian food popular in Britain is now on our menus, such as tandoori chicken, chicken tikka and other curries such as butter chicken and roghan josh.
husband picked up a habit from his border Scots ancestors - traditional Christmas cake eaten with a slice of Wensleydale cheese and a glass of Scotch whisky.

Then we have food from our nearer Asian neighbours - ANYTHING Thai, especially laksa (personally, I think it's a plot to destroy our tastebuds). Satay anything. Singapore noodles. Chinese barbecued pork and barbecued duck (sold with the head on).

A HUGE range of fresh fruit in season - strawberries, grapes, stone fruit, nashi pears, dragon fruit, passionfruit, mangoes, bananas (they're back! hooray!), star fruit and the dreaded durian. Jackfruit is making more of an appearance. Lots of watermelon, honeydew melon, pawpaw, papaya (it's not quite the same as paw paw) and pineapples.

We're now getting a lot more exotic food in other areas - fresh Asian mushrooms and fungi, for example. We don't need to use dried fungus any more. An oyster mushroom omelette is light and delicate in flavour - absolutely delicious if you like mushrooms at all. They're now beginning to farm truffles in Australia, so we'll be producing them when the northern hemisphere has shut down production, and vice versa.

Lots of corn (preferred on the cob) plus baby corn, Asian greens, salad vegetables, the usual European staples. Some parts of Australia are renowned for various delicacies, such as King Island in Tasmania is famous for it's cheese (especially Brie and Camembert styles).

Some things we don't have - like fresh cranberries. Maple syrup, unless we import it. I have learned to like GOOD maple syrup. The trouble is, it's too easy to find the imitation rubbish. And I haven't a clue what grits are, apart from what I find on the bottom of the budgie cage.

The foods we cook - European, Asian (I'm doing chicken & corn soup tomorrow - without the noodles, I do egg flower instead), and our own styles gleaned from all the contributing cultures. We do beach bakes Aboriginal style, similar to a clambake, I gather. Increasingly we're eating more exotic meat such as camel. We've been eating kangaroo for years. Emu is now farmed for the table, too. So is croc. Frankly, I think camel is over-rated. But you can do a lot with 'roo. It's very healthy, as well. I know it seems odd to eat your national symbols, but I think we're one of the few countries with edible national symbols in plague proportions. Maybe the drought would have less impact on us if we farmed roo instead of sheep & cattle.

But we do eat a lot of beef and lamb, too. As well as chicken, a little turkey and duck (mostly Asian style). We can get pretty much anything we want. We farm venison, but few people eat it. We eat it about as much as roo. But roo is cheaper - about the same price as beef, for a better cut.

husband has eaten snake and goanna, but he said the goanna meat was tough & gamey. More wild food - Captain Cook kept his men free from scurvy by feeding them on native greens called warragul greens (warragul = dingo). The leaves have a mild, slightly soapy taste which then tastes more like spinach if you blanch it. We've got stacks of it growing down near our beaches. I don't mind it but my kids won't eat it unless I disguise it in Greek food - a sort of Aussie spanakopita.

And Aussie seafood - fabulous. Sydney Rock Oysters are reported to be among the best in the world. Prawns (shrimp) and lobsters are full of flavour. We've got one of the best eating fish in the world - barramundi. And one of the worst - mullet.

if you ever come down under, you certainly won't starve.

Oh, and there's Tim Tams... forget the Oreos, these are better. And we can GET Oreos here now, as of about five years ago.

Marg

muttmeister

Wonderful commercial products that (I think) you can only get around here include Valentino's Pizza (best pizza I've ever had), Dorothy Lynch salad dressing (a variation on French but much better: I have a recipe), and Runza (a hamburger and cabbage mixture wrapped in bread dough and baked). There are Runza restaurants (a local chain) all over the state.
I really can't think of anything unusual that we eat although summer is for watermelon, cucumbers sliced in vinegar solution or wilted in vinegar and sour cream, lots of corn on the cob, and, of course, we are famous for our wonderful Nebraska STEAKS. Also, a lot of people around here make wonderful kolaches. My favorites have apricot filling but prune, cherry, and poppy seed are also popular.

dreamer

I like rasberry kolachkes. :)
and I like hamburger and rice stuffed into cabbage leaves and baked with either tomato sauce or lemon sauce. YUMMY. The Runza sounds interesting.

Lothlorien

Never heard of kolaches. What are they? See, this is why I started this post. I wanted to hear of things I'd never heard of before.

Marg, NJ is the cranberry capital of the world! The marshy lands of NJ make perfect cranberry bogs. The only problem with that is the amount of pollen that it gives off. In the mid-spring, my car has about a half inch thick of pollen on it. Wreaks havoc with allergies. I love cranberry orange bread!

We get plenty of real maple syrup here. It's the only syrup I have in the house. The rest of it usually has corn syrup, which Missy can't have. Grits are a corn meal made from White Hominy Corn. It's courser than corn meal. It's popular in the Southern States. They eat them with bacon and eggs, mostly, but can be made all different ways, like corn meal.

Kathy813

Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
Kathy,
Just so you know, the Mason Dixon line actually runs through Southern NJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knew? :rofl:

~Kathy

tiredmommy

I want to comment on real maple syrup versus the artificial brands. I've found that I use much less maple syrup because it's a purer type of sweet, I need much less for the same effect.

dreamer

OK just YUM to the whole thread!

It ALL sounds good! (time to make dinner)
Oh, yeah, thats another thing like soda vs pop for carbonated beverages? Dinner or supper and then theres lunch.

At my house breakfast of course is in the morning (but can be cereal, eggs, pizza soup or spaghetti...and hot dogs, too!) and unch is the meal eaten mid day altho I never remember to eat breakfast or lunch even tho I do manage to get those meals into the kids. And that meal can be ANYTHING from Pb & J to omlets to leftover roast to soup to well, ANYTHING goes. and then there is the evening meal- and we call it supper some days or dinner other days, with no rhyme or reason, nothing different between supper or dinner. and that meal can be roast or casserole or pizza, soup, salad, pancakes (I don't like pancakes) omlets, or whatever else your imagination can come up with. Usually I serve it between 5 & 6 PM. but------over the years depending on various things, it could have been almost any time of the day or nite and it is the one meal I do really expect my family to hang around for.

muttmeister

Kolaches are a sweet roll, made by the local Bohemians and Czechs. The dough is very light and slightly sweet and they have a depression in the middle that holds the filling. My grandmother was one of the world's best bread makers and so she asked her nephew's wife (who was Bohemian) to show her how to make kolaches. She (the nephew's wife) made the best ones I've ever had. My Grandmother made some pretty good ones but they were never as good as the nephew's wife. My Grandmother was a good German and she swore that she couldn't get them quite right because she wasn't Bohemian. I suppose now-a-days that would be considered politically incorrect but in those days it was just a good joke.

dreamer

my polish friends and uncle make them.....kolachkes-----
and yes, I think technically they are considered a sweet roll, personally the ones I have had remind me more of a cross between a pastry and a cookie.

YUM!

Nancy

tinamarie,

My Dad was stationed in Louisiana for a bit before he went overseas in WWII. He always talks about the pralines from there and so anytime I see them I buy them for him. They are certainly yummy.

Nancy