Slang terms...

NOLA

Ditto -- it's always someone else's stuff, someone else's fault, etc. Why don't they emulate at least some of the "good" behaviors they've been brought up with. How can they continue to be so -----ing stupid - I'm starting to think he wants to destroy the brain cells he has left so he doesn't have the option any longer of actually putting his brain to good use.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but I'm just about at the end of my rope with this xxxxxx. Against my better judgement, I visited myspace & livejournal and I feel as stupid as he is. He's a master at lulling us into actually believing he has come to his senses then just in a flash it's gone. These kids have the world at their feet, so much potential, all the love and support one could ask for and they continue to bite the hand that cares & feeds them.

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's a master at lulling us into actually believing he has come to his senses then just in a flash it's gone. These kids have the world at their feet, so much potential, all the love and support one could ask for and they continue to bite the hand that cares & feeds them.</div></div>

Truer words were never spoken. But i don't think they see it as biting the hand that feeds them. I think they see their "privacy" and "rights" as some kind of entitlement instead of a privilege they have to earn like the rest of us.

And as someone else said in another post, it seems that we boomers are primarily to blame. We invest so much in our kids that they never see the actual cost of what they have. Not having paid the cost, they don't value the thing (unless you try to take it away, then they scream bloody murder).

Someone posted a link to a site that deals with this issue, that boomer parents work too damned hard on their kids. I wish I could remember the site, because I'd pay the subscription to be a member. It's one guy, but he's 'old school' in that he thinks kids forget that their job is to one day leave the house, and that parents forget it's their job to prepare their kids for that day. I can tell you from personal experience that I've been so wrapped up in my kid's lives that I've forgotten to start teaching them (or allowing them to learn) that the world is a hard, dangerous place, and that they need to be ready for it. Instead, I filled their days with athletics, academics, and as much family time as I could possibly scrape together.

And what did it accomplish? Not much. Or, I should say that it didn't do any better than the parents down the street who let their kids run wild with no supervision, yet their kids are better off than my own.

Okay, I'm putting away the stick and stopping the self-flagellation. But to go back to your original statement, I've learned just how true that is this week. Ultimately, though, it's up to each kid as to when (or if) they "get it", and finally grow up enough to appreciate what they have (or had). Some may never get there, and some may get there later than others. But my own newfound belief is that there's not a dadgum thing I can do to change or hasten that decision, so all that's left is to focus on the things I can affect - which is my life, and my relationship with my beloved wife. My kids will have their own lives one day, and they will then have to face the challenges and costs we've struggled to bear and shield them from.

In the end, I wonder if I've done them a grave disservice in trying to give them the very thing that may have caused them the worst problems.

Time for another 'rita.

Mikey

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Update on the other stuff: Bro won't be able to make it (job problems), so I guess I won't know if there's anything in my house.

I did find out, however, that the "k" in question is "k-town", which is a rather potent form of weed, not ketamine. Not great, but not as bad as I thought (but still bad, though).

Not sure what's going to happen when I get back on this issue. One thing's for sure, though, I can't make any more decisions until wife gets back next week. And depending on her state of mind, maybe not even then (if she's not ready to deal with it).

'Till then, I guess it'll be back to the same old grind.

If someone hadn't already taken the "WaitingForEmptyNest" nickname, I think I might have picked it up by now. Never thought I'd find myself saying that, but that's the truth!

Mikey

DDD

What happened with the ADHD/Pot program? Does he go when you
get back for a weekly test?

Hmmmmm...yes, I know. I have learned to be too suspicious! DDD

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
DDD - He's still "going", and he does get the golden flow test every week. But we don't get the results - only the study staff see them, and only to compile statistics. It is, after all, a medical study.

What I'm more concerned with is that he's not taking the study seriously. He's at the point where he's supposed to be taking three "ADD" pills a day, but I can only get him to take the one in the morning - and only when I'm here in the morning (which isn't often). I've already reported to the study office that he isn't complying with the required ADD medical portion of the study.

I'll tell them again next week. Afterwards, if they don't do anyting about it, or they don't care, then I'll back off. As far as I'm concerned, McWeedy can keep going as long as he wants, with or without the ADD medications, as long as they don't do anything to force the issue. In fact, it may be one of the study parameters to measure who's actually able to take the required medications, at the required times. Since this is a dual-diagnosis treatment study, I could see that being a factor.

Then again, I'll probably never know. But I'm only going to be the Pill Nanny for one more week. After that, it's uip to him and the study staff. He's a big boy, and knows what he should be doing....

Mikey

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious. Is the ADD medication a new one or one of the standards?</div></div>

It's either standard Concerta or a placebo. We don't know, but McWeedy's convinced it's the placebo, so he doesn't care if he takes it or not.

Of course, there's no way to tell the difference, since the manufacturer makes both the real stuff and the placebo to look and taste the same.

But, if McWeedy is convinced it's a placebo, then he doesn't feel compelled to comply with the medication part of the study.

Mikey