Son has been released from prison.

newstart

I sent my son the last copy of his birth certificate. I accompanied a letter wishing him well and telling him I will not do this for him again, that he's 36 years old and needs to take responsibility for important documents.
He gave me the address to where he is staying. My husband went to the post office to mail it registered. When they looked up the address they said there was more than one address for this place, like pods. Husband made the decision to go ahead and mail it. I was able to track it and it arrived. My son sent a message of thanks that he had received it.
I reached out to him yesterday asking if he had gone to get his ID. He has. I also asked him for a more accurate address for the facility he's staying in. His reply, "the address I gave you is fine and don't refer to this place as a facility, that is so cold" o_O:rolleyes: I was so tempted to say "okay, halfway house sounds so much better" but I refrained. :cautious:
He did share that he got a job doing construction. I sure hope he sticks with it! Normal for him is to work a couple of months then quit with some lame excuse of "the boss is an idiot and doesn't know the first thing about running a business" I sure hope that doesn't happen. I hope he will stick with it. Of course one of the conditions of his parole is to be employed. His parole is for 6 months and if he screws it up, back to prison he will go to finish it out.
tick tock, tick tock, only time will tell..............
In the meantime, I booked a trip for Hubby and I in Feb. when it's bitter cold here:blizzard:
we will be in Aruba! :beach::beach_ball:

Hi Tanya, I sure hope your son can walk the straight and narrow since being released. It would have been better if they gave him a few more years of parole and checked him for drug use. Years ago when my brother was in jail, I asked the judge to please give him 5 years parole and weekly drug monitoring, he first got 3 years but I did not think it was long enough to clean him out so begged the judge to give him 5 and he did, so far my brother has managed to manage his life. I wonder if there is anyway you can change his 6 months, that is just not enough time to get his S together. I hope you have a fabulous time in Aruba. I know you have worked on detaching. Glad you set your son straight about him having to take care of his own documents. My daughter still gets mail sent to our home, even some bills. I talk to her about this all the time yet I still see her mail. I have turned over all documents to my daughter at age 36 she is WAY too old for me to keep them. You made me laugh when you were tempted to say 'Halfway house sounds so much better'.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Thanks Newstart. I too hope he can walk the straight and narrow.

I wonder if there is anyway you can change his 6 months, that is just not enough time to get his S together.
Even if I wanted to do something, it's just not my place. This is not the first time my son has been on parole and he has all the skills he needs to succeed if he chooses to do so. I have intervened on his behalf with courts and judges more than once and it's never helped. He's 36, his life, his choice.

My daughter still gets mail sent to our home, even some bills. I talk to her about this all the time yet I still see her mail.
I used to get my son's mail too. Bills, past due bills, etc..... One day I made the choice to put "return to sender, does not reside at this address" It's been quite a few years since any of his mail has come here.

You made me laugh when you were tempted to say 'Halfway house sounds so much better'.
Laughing is a good thing!!

Elsi

I sent my son the last copy of his birth certificate. I accompanied a letter wishing him well and telling him I will not do this for him again, that he's 36 years old and needs to take responsibility for important documents.

Oh, Tanya, I just had to say ...boy, does this sound familiar! I can’t count the number of time I’ve sent copies of birth certificates or other important documents! Losing that stuff repeatedly seems to be a short,tom of the chaos. It isnt the biggest problem we face, but it is oh so aggravating!

I’m glad you have a fun trip planned. We all need some things to look forward to!