Suspended from school

Sheila

Hi Laura

Such an emotionally draining series of events....

I haven't had but one sip of coffee this morning, so maybe I missed it -- but did the sd evalute your difficult child? Were you given copies of your child's evaluation report at this meeting? Was she found eligible for an IEP at this meeting?

I've seen parallel scanarios played out time after time, but it never fails to leave me disgusted to learn that yet another sd works so hard at getting rid of a child vs putting that same energy into getting a student evaluated and developing an appropriate IEP.

Sds know the Federal and State law regarding students with disabilities, yet there are many that blatently violate them. They hold students to a higher standard than they can achieve themselves. I often wonder how they sleep at night.

I don't doubt that it's best to remove your child from this school. I'm not surprised to learn that your daughter is already doing better since being out of that atmosphere.

Couple of things you might want to know and/or pursue.

Under FERPA you are entitled to your daughter's records if you want them. You can request a copy of all educational records -- use Certified Mail. That would include documentation the sd has regarding behavioral problems (including anoymous reports). Educational records are kept at various places throughout a district -- the district office, school campus, school psychologist records, nurse's office, etc.

Couple of links on FERPA: http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/library/index.html and http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/reportcards.php .

The handbook you were given should outline how to file a Complaint with your State Education Agency, OSEP and/or OCR. Your SEA is responsible for insuring that their school districts adhere to IDEA/IEP. Could be they need to know that they have a renegade sd out there.

All States have an Educators Code of Conduct and procedures for filing Complaints. I don't know about your state, but in Texas just about everyone except the grounds keeper is defined as an "Educator."

Keep us updated.

Martie

I don't like the process--but I think she is better off anywhere but where she was in terms of a school placement. Don't let them blow off the rest of the year--she needs to go to school.

Good that she has activities as well as tutoring.

What happened to you is a classic example of how schools get rid of students that they do not want. So much for Zero reject from the mainstream. Zero reject from all education is working somewhat bette--but there are forces out there who want to change that and our kids will suffer. I'm glad your will not be one of them.

Good job :warrior: Mom

Martie