Update, answers to questions, medication cocktail

Seroquel and s great for aggression and anger management, but the side effects are horrible. My grandma was given Seroquel at the nursing home because she was punching nurses and throwing things at other patients. It’s not really approved for dementia patients, but doctors at nursing homes prescribe it, anyway, just because it’s so effective.
@Crayola13 - I think you are exactly right here and this is consistent with my experience. I've tried Seroquel and it is remarkably effective for aggression and anger management, particularly when paired with my Prozac. However, the side effects were pretty much unbearable for me. One major issue which really limits its applicability is that it is heavily sedating and really makes you feel tired. This just doesn't work well in many cases.

Nomad

Staff member
Quick note….Abilify was by far the BEST medication for our adult daughter. However, fir her it caused an increase in breast size. She is already very large chested and it was discontinued. I have to give this more thought. Honestly, a very helpful medication.

Quick note….Abilify was by far the BEST medication for our adult daughter. However, fir her it caused an increase in breast size. She is already very large chested and it was discontinued. I have to give this more thought. Honestly, a very helpful medication.
@Nomad Was your daugther ever able to find a suitable replacement for the Abilify? I have not faced this issue, but unfortunately weight gain is a common side effect and was something I was warned about. It's certainly a very helpful medication for me and one of the most important components of my current cocktail. I've tried quite a few medications targeting anger, aggression and emotional stability and Abilify is most effective - it's particularly good at reducing general irritability.

Apparently one thing which makes Abilify somewhat unique is that it often boosts the effects of other medications and enhances their properties. I've experienced this and found it really helpful. I take antidepressants and as soon as Abilify was introduced, they became more potent not just at improving mood, but also with irritability, impulsivity and anger management. For this reason, I've heard it can be hard to find a substitute for.