Warning-Positive Post

JMom

Yeah, so someone on this forum let me in on a little secret. There's this dude named Eckhart Tolle on Youtube who teaches living in the present. SERIOUSLY????? Where has this little man been all my life?

I've been practicing "living in the present" for two days. When you live in the present the past and future cease to exist. I'll let him tell you. Now, when I say "past", that can be two hours ago or "when I was a little baby child and my momma pinched me-49 years ago.

My grammar sucks, bear with me. Here is a sample of his teachings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91ST2gtR44

My faves were about not living in suffering, meditations (neva done it until now), letting go on negative thoughts, and money stuff. This dude didn't say to pray, but I found myself wanting to stay in prayer.

Hope this helps. FREEEEEEEDOM! Happy 2020 Y'all.
Jmom

Blindsided

Face the Sun
Yeah, so someone on this forum let me in on a little secret. There's this dude named Eckhart Tolle on Youtube who teaches living in the present. SERIOUSLY????? Where has this little man been all my life?

I've been practicing "living in the present" for two days. When you live in the present the past and future cease to exist. I'll let him tell you. Now, when I say "past", that can be two hours ago or "when I was a little baby child and my momma pinched me-49 years ago.

My grammar sucks, bear with me. Here is a sample of his teachings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91ST2gtR44

My faves were about not living in suffering, meditations (neva done it until now), letting go on negative thoughts, and money stuff. This dude didn't say to pray, but I found myself wanting to stay in prayer.

Hope this helps. FREEEEEEEDOM! Happy 2020 Y'all.
Jmom
I have read Eric Tolle. It was so long ago I didnt review it in my signature line. Thanks for the link. Thrilled you have found a tool that is helping you. Mindfulness, being present without judgement is liberating for all that ails us.

Nandina

About 10 years ago Oprah did a webcast series with him as part of her SuperSoulSunday show that I watched and really enjoyed. It was based on his book A New Earth and is still available on her website.

http://www.oprah.com/app/a-new-earth.html

The Power of Now is another good book of his, but one of my favorites is his little 125 page mini book, Stillness Speaks. It’s just short paragraphs containing bits of Tolle’s philosophy. It is one of those books that you can pick up and read the excerpts of when you are beginning to fall back into old patterns of thinking and letting the ego rule. I like to give it as a gift sometimes. A lot of good information is packed into that tiny book and I refer to it frequently.

It’s good to know that people here are discovering his teachings because they are truly helpful in situations like we all experience with our difficult children here on this site. And though it is sometimes hard to remain “in the now,” once you become aware of the tendency to drift into believing that often negative “voice in your head,” and realize that it is a false identity and not yourself, growth happens.

JMom

About 10 years ago Oprah did a webcast series with him as part of her SuperSoulSunday show that I watched and really enjoyed. It was based on his book A New Earth and is still available on her website.

http://www.oprah.com/app/a-new-earth.html

The Power of Now is another good book of his, but one of my favorites is his little 125 page mini book, Stillness Speaks. It’s just short paragraphs containing bits of Tolle’s philosophy. It is one of those books that you can pick up and read the excerpts of when you are beginning to fall back into old patterns of thinking and letting the ego rule. I like to give it as a gift sometimes. A lot of good information is packed into that tiny book and I refer to it frequently.

It’s good to know that people here are discovering his teachings because they are truly helpful in situations like we all experience with our difficult children here on this site. And though it is sometimes hard to remain “in the now,” once you become aware of the tendency to drift into believing that often negative “voice in your head,” and realize that it is a false identity and not yourself, growth happens.

Thank you, I will check out his books!

BusynMember1

Echjaet Tolle is a hero of mine. I try very hard not to think. If my mean or scared voice babbles I have learned ways in other books to shut it up. It works far better for me than psychological theories, inner child work, etc.

It's quite true that we don't need to think. It isn't necessary. Our thoughts cause suffering.

We can just BE.

Nandina

Amen to that, Busy! Different spiritual teachers resonate with different folks and I have to admit, sometimes I read a line of Tolle’s and I have to read it a few more times to really capture the meaning. But if you can get to the very essence of his teaching, that WE ARE NOT OUR THOUGHTS, it is so freeing! Then, once you realize that, when those negative thoughts creep back in, it’s like you have this new awareness now and you can’t let yourself go there. Hard to do sometimes. It takes practice, like with any spiritual teaching. I am all for any teaching or practice that helps us achieve peace in our complicated lives. The best to all of us in finding what gets us there. —Nan

BusynMember1

Our emotions lie too. We are not our thoughts or our emotions, just spiritual beings. I not only believe this, but it has changed my life. Nothing else did, not even the teachings of my beloved church or therapeutical theories. But, yes, we all do what helps us. Whatever gets us out of suffering, ruminating, projecting, torturing ourselves is all good!

Blessings!

Overwhelmed1

Jmom had me listen to Mr. Tolle for the first time and I really learn something. I didn't know I could change what goes through my mind. This is going to be instrumental on my journey to a better me. Thanks for the info.
Love this place and all the people here.

Peace and Love

Nandina

Something else that helps quiet the mind is meditation. That is its whole purpose, actually. You can be a member of any religion or faith tradition and meditate. Meditation is just between you and your mind; it’s as simple as that. In practicing it, you learn to give your mind a rest, so to speak, from those constant invasive and often negative thoughts. With regular practice, you’ll find that you spend less time thinking those kinds of thoughts in your daily life and you open yourself up to more joy, more creativity, and more peace. You will often find that you have more energy as well. It may sound “woo-woo” or new age to some but it’s been around for centuries and many of the world’s greatest spiritual teachers meditated. I highly recommend it to anyone who is searching for ways to bring more calmness and peace into their lives.

louise2350

I am going to try listening to or reading his material. I've never heard of this man before and I do like to read. Also, I hope it helps with living in the present and letting the past go. That would be monumental for me.