Your favorite discount department store

Pink Elephant

Once a month, when I was in grade school, I was given 50 cents to have a grilled tuna/cheese sandwich and a small chocolate shake at the Woolworth's lunch counter. That was my favorite store as well. I was looking at pictures from my early childhood the other day while visiting my mother. It was really like a slice of history. Made me feel very old.
I often get sad when thinking about the past and how fast time seems to have slipped away, gone forever.

I remember wanting to buy extra Monopoly money for my board game, and being that the city bus stopped directly in front of Woolworth's, I boarded the bus one early morning, rode it to Woolworth's, bought my board game money, and was back home again in all of about an hour! How many kids can brag about that sort of thing today?

I think that's why my mom was a little more flexible and lenient when it came to allowing us kids to visit town on our own.

I wish I could go back in time.

Nomad

Staff member
Steinmart where I currently live is VERY good. Probably the best one I’ve seen. The shoes are great.

But in my former city, it was just ok. Not too many current styles.

I went to one once while on vacation in a little town that I didn’t care for at all. It was decades behind the times. Truly strange.

I find it amazing how they stock the stores differently depending on various locations.

I would think they would want to be at least a little more consistent.

Those shakes from years ago in those tall silver canisters...like soda fountain shakes!?!?! Haven’t thought of that in eons. Yummy! My grandmother got me a few of those. My mother would never approve.

Pink Elephant

Steinmart where I currently live is VERY good. Probably the best one I’ve seen. The shoes are great.

But in my former city, it was just ok. Not too many current styles.

I went to one once while on vacation in a little town that I didn’t care for at all. It was decades behind the times. Truly strange.

I find it amazing how they stock the stores differently depending on various locations.

I would think they would want to be at least a little more consistent.

Those shakes from years ago in those tall silver canisters...like soda fountain shakes!?!?! Haven’t thought of that in eons. Yummy! My grandmother got me a few of those. My mother would never approve.
Yes, those tall silver-like canister tumblers! Those shakes were so cold and refreshing!

I'm also thinking about the clear glass juice machines that sat all around the counter area, and how they'd turn and spin the juice around inside. Everything looked so yummy!

And then there was the delicious aroma of grilled hamburgers and wieners on the griddle! Gee I wish I could go back to that time again...

KTMom91

My grandparents owned a Ben Franklin back in the 1960's/1970's. Anyone remember those? I loved Woolworth's, and worked for one of their divisions for several years. They've closed almost everything down - Afterthoughts, Kinney Shoes, San Francisco Music Box - Foot Locker is still around I think.

Pink Elephant

My grandparents owned a Ben Franklin back in the 1960's/1970's. Anyone remember those? I loved Woolworth's, and worked for one of their divisions for several years. They've closed almost everything down - Afterthoughts, Kinney Shoes, San Francisco Music Box - Foot Locker is still around I think.
How neat is that! I had a friend in junior high who's parents owned a large chain clothing & work store.

Never heard of San Francisco Music Box before.

Nomad

Staff member
by the way, I love Amazon. My goodness, it’s so convenient. And, on a rare occasion, I have sent an item or two to Difficult Child that would be difficult for her to get.

Funny story...after NEVER having an ounce of trouble with Amazon for many many years, we had all sorts of trouble when we moved. I think it was multiple things gone haywire.

Anyway, one day I ordered this fancy hair brush I wanted. This giant box arrived. I checked on line at my account and it said that my brush had arrived. Hmmm. So, I opened the box.

It was a GIANT pair of men’s pants for a very obese man.

I called Amazon and at first the woman insisted it was a brush.

When she finally believed me, she emailed me a receipt mailer and asked me if I would mind sending back the pants. I said ok. Then, same day delivery she re sent the brush. Within a few hours, the brush was at my door.

A week later, I sent back the pants. I get an email from Amazon saying “thank you for returning the brush” and they are crediting my account. So, I called them and said I never returned my brush, I still have it. I returned giant pants. The guy said huh? I said “never mind.”

I had a month’s worth of insanity and finally it got straightened out and they gave me a relatively large gift certificate I suppose because after a month I got a little upset and this was a very nice “we are sorry” compensation gift.

I’m still giggling about the giant pants though.

BusynMember

Lol, Nomad!!!! Didn't like the big men's pants, huh? :p

I usually have great luck with Amazon but have had a few issues too, but none as funny as yours!