Difficult Day

LauraH

Today is or was supposed to be my son's surgery. I do not know if it was canceled or went ahead as planned, or how it went if it did happen. In no way do I blame myself but he is still my only child and I love him, so of course it is weighing on my heart and mind. I have spoken to the one contact I have in Chicago, he hasn't heard anything but said he would let me know if he does. I also reached out to the nurse who called me when he went to the ER, but she didn't answer and so far hasn't returned my call. If my son removed me as his emergency contact she would be prohibited by law from telling me anything anyway, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

LauraH

The nurse called me back and, as I suspected, he rescinded permission for them to talk to me. She was able to tell me that he's at the hospital and being well taken care of, which under the circumstances is all I really need to know, and a huge weight off. I am hoping he has or will reach out to them and they can help him find a place to stay or whatever help he needs while he is healing, but that's something I will never know unless he chooses to reach out to me at some point.

Nomad

Staff member
Sounds good. Maybe they will direct him to some sort of social services to help for a few days. Or even a short term stay at a rehab. He’s an adult, right? He can do this or maybe not. It’s not your problem. You offered to help. He was a jerk. You rightfully rescinded your offer. It was his choice. So be it. It’s amazing how much better life is when you are not being bullied and stand up for yourself even if it’s your own child! Why walk a mile fir someone who would not even shuffle an inch fir you anyway.

BusynMember1

I hope you do come to our meeting. There are ways, as impossible as it seems, to learn how to worry less, not feel you have to control another, and to still be serene. No. I would not have believed it before Nar Anon but most of us, even the newer members, say they feel better right away. So praying for you and your son, but you have zero control over him...as we all do over another person. The only way to be sane in my opinion is to accept that it is out of our hands...and we didn't cause it, we can't control it and we can't cure it. That's The Three Cs.

Hugs and love.