For those born between 1930 and 1979

Pink Elephant

Pink you know my answers. Nobody used cloth, very few hung up any laundry and my family didn't when they had kids. My area was not old fashion and most mothers worked. Day care centers only used paper diapers. But you never saw cloth around me and that was the 70s. And beyond.
Indeed I do, SOT, and always appreciate your words and input.

Pink Elephant

I honestly don’t remember what kind of diapers were used in the 70s.

I wasn’t old enough to have kids in the seventies, and I didn’t think about diapers at all. If you had asked me, diapers didn’t exist in the 70s, for all I knew or cared.

My grandmother line-dried sheets in the summer, I remember that because we would play games where we would run through them and stuff.

My great-grandmother had a bag with clothespins (I think she wore it around her waist, if I remember right) and she hung clothes and sheets and stuff out on the line. She had a trailer on my grandmother’s farm (her daughter) and they used the same clothes line.

I have known a fair number of women who use/used cloth diapers in this millennium. They are mostly homeschooling, home-birthing, natural foods, back-to-nature, do-it-yourself, large close-knit families.
Totally understandable, Apple. Being involved like I was, as in hands-on involved, I'm certain played a key role in me remembering to the extent that I do.

We were never allowed to get close to the clothesline, especially when the likes of bedding and other larger washables were out drying. So much work to wash and hang mom didn't want anything getting soiled.

I have a clothespin bag, too, plus a little plastic bucket that I keep extra pins in. I never leave pins attached to the line after use. Always bring them inside.

Definitely think cloth diapers are making a strong comeback.

Pink Elephant

That makes sense, Apple. They are being environmentally conscious and loving trees! I love animals and am not quite a vegetarian but close. A person I know who is one told me she tastes death in meat! That affected me!

I also remember my grandma hanging clothes with clothes pins. Not my mother though. If you could afford a dryer and the cost of electricity of a washer/dryer (and in my world people could) that's what was used. I also think working mother's make most women do the best, easiest housework they can and men too as father's help these days. We live in a fast world now with no time to fuss. Very few stay at home moms. Even I worked part time most of my mother years and that could be 20 evening hours a week....tiring. the cost of a house and raising kids isn't friendly to one income families. And there are so many single.mothers who do it all. Kudos to them. Mostly are awesome. But with no help and full time jobs I don't know if washing diapers and hanging clothes sounds too enticing on top of cooking, helping with homework, bathing, drying tears etc. AFTER a demanding day of work.

Homeschool mom's don't work.
Right you are, SOT, today, one really needs to weigh things over carefully to provide a sense of comfort and balance in their lives, and if that means choosing a few conveniences, then so be it. I'm all for that.

Pink Elephant

Pink, your husband would have been gone in my house ;) I expect dad to at least help me out. That was very selfish of him if true. Even my grandpa that many years ago fussed over my grandma. . He loved her and would have gladly gotten her a diaper. Or a cup of tea. Or anything she asked of him.
He made up for his shortfalls in many other areas, so I was able to look past a few of his faults. :)