Funny names our kids gave things...

Pink Elephant

Gosh, all of these old-fashioned and retro conversations we've been having... I've been enjoying them all immensely!

Anyhow, thought it would be fun to start a new thread conversation related to funny names our kids called things.

I don't have many, but "baba" stood for bottle, and "bappers" were diapers in our house for a long time when my oldest son was learning to talk, and according to the same dear son, rubber pants (when his baby brother was in diapers) were called, "pop-a-pants"!

"Panking" was spanking, and ice cream (from the Dairy Queen), was "ice cweem". "We all scream for ice cweem" I'd sing out loud, when we went for a treat.

Now, don't ask me how he came up with any of those names (or why), but he did! LOL!

I often think the "pop-a-pants" name was born as a result of me using those old-fashioned large pins to put on diapers in our house... so mommy was popping the diapers and pants when changing them.

Lil

I'm only going to have one for this one, but it's great. We live in the state capital. The Capitol building is of course, huge and impressive. It's also next to some train tracks and open on Saturdays. Large marble halls are great for little kids to run in (when there's no business being conducted) and then of course there were trains, which my son LOVED, so I regularly took my son there on the weekend. But we didn't go to the "capitol".

Many days were spend going to the "Castle" to see the choo-choos. :)

Triedntrue

My grandaughter had a funny way of saying moon when she was little i cant even figure out how to phonetically spell it. I think spelled the same but use the other sound for the 2 o's.

My one son used to call pizza hut pizza hot.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I was a kid, the restraint in the car was a "belt seat". Along those lines, Rose calls the pain when you eat something too cold "freeze brain". I also said "Ay-bow" for elbow, "mouse turds" for mustard, "ninies" were onions, and "greebies" were green beans.

She also used to call blueberries "boobays" - do NOT say that aloud in public! Cantaloupes are "caramels". Tomatoes and potatoes seem to be interchangeable! (Thanks, but I don't want mashed tomatoes, nor do I want sliced raw potatoes on my hamburger.)

Pink Elephant

Love it you guys! All sorts of funny ones here! :)

I recall being stumped by certain words, to a point where even the kid would get frustrated trying to explain to me what they were talking about. I sometimes had to revert to them showing me or pointing at whatever it was that they were talking about.

KTMom91

Pajamas were GBs...spaghetti was speggi...

When Miss KT was learning about Columbus in school, she asked me some question, and I popped off with, "I'm not sure. Ask your grandmother, she used to date him." Guess who went and called her grandmother, making sure to add, "Mom says you used to date him." Yeah.

svengandhi

My oldest son called the pacifier he saw his older neighbor using when he was 2 a "schpooklie." He also called candy "geeky" and cookies "nonnies." Of course, this led to much "hilarity" the Easter Eve he was not quite 2 and H was sponsoring a friend who was converting to Catholicism. We were seated in the front row and my son could see the communion and when the priest held up the cup of wine and the wafers, my son began screaming "GEEKY< GEEKY, NONNIE, NONNIE" till H picked him up and hushed him (I was dealing with our infant D). After the ceremony, the priest came over and invited us to join a young parents group. I had to explain to him that the children and I are Jewish.

Sam3

My daughter didn’t want to go by the lobster tank at a grocers. Because she was afraid of the “monsters.”

I laughed and so, no honey they’re not “monsters,” they’re “lobsters”

Next time we went, she pulled me away from the tank saying
“No mommy, I’m still afraid of the ‘mobsters’.”

All pretty scary, I guess

My middle son, on the other hand, called all bugs “ladybugs.” You only knew what he was talking about by the tone of his voice. If it was a butterfly it would be a happy, light tone, “ladybug ” If he looked at you with horror, and said “laaddybbbug” you knew it was a big-ass spider.

Last edited:

Lil

My daughter didn’t want to go by the lobster tank at a grocers. Because she was afraid of the “monsters.”

I laughed and so, no honey they’re not “monsters,” they’re “lobsters”

Next time we went, she pulled me away from the tank saying
“No mommy, I’m still afraid of the ‘mobsters’.”

Lobsters / Mobsters - they all sleep with the fishes! LOL! I'd be scared too!

Nomad

Staff member
My kids had two funny expressions:

One pays “the toad” on the highway. (Toll)

There are “camels” in the pool. (Chemicals)

Lol :)

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
My son used to say he was lemoncolly. He meant melancholy. He also called his soother a Dude as he hung out with my Croatian friend and her kids and they call a soother a Dudirza lol.